Toast Hail King ROB

Remove this Banner Ad

He is your definition of a Moneyball type player. Very ungainly in kicking style but effective in all areas. Probably at least twice as cheap as Grundy so have to weigh up this, if we are to go after Grundy I think.

Who saw it with ROB 1-3 years ago?

I didn't. Thought he'd be a serviceable competitor but no more than that.
I thought he had potential and told Grave Danger, he rubbished me and said I lack football knowledge.....:)
But I must admit he has been better than I expected (his disposal is a lot better than I thought but kicking for goal is still as shocking as I remember it in the SANFL), Biglands (who watched and commented on a lot of SANFL games) also mentioned that he plays a lot like Jacobs but a better mover around the ground (which was what I thought of RoB).

I think we're still waiting on how ROB improves during the second part of this season. If he can still expand on his skillsets, then he is a deadset wanted man by us. He is tracking to be a Grundy clone the way he's going, and with much more value than what we're going to have to cough up for Grundy.
That explains alot. I remember watching him in the SANFL around that time and always thinking he'd be a handy ruck if he wasn't so slow and lumbering.
There's definitely a night and day contrast between his athleticism from then to now.

Unbelievable, Rob has come from the clouds, no one could have predicted what he has achieved in such a small time. I know he’s 23 but to play as well as he has is outstanding.

The most pleasing thing is that last week he played against a non ruckman and absolutely smashed him, how many times do we expect them and it doesn’t happen. His 2nd and 3 rd effort have made our midfield group also look better.

I believe he will be better to keep them trying to get Grundy. We have him and the first pick in the national draft. He will get better and better the more he plays. He reminds me of Ben Hudson, the way he attacks the ball when it hits the ground.

Another great rookie selection from Hamish. Keep it up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ROB doesn't hold all of the cards here, in fact, he's quite vulnerable list wise. Rightly or wrongly, we would be balls deep in trying to get Grundy.

We think we have Grundy, and ROB is gone because we cannot afford to keep him at all. I'd much rather keep ROB at 500k then what it'd cost for us to get Grundy.

In a 52 card pack, I’d say RoB is holding 57 of them right now

Ive always rated him since his first year. Im always telling people around me at the games that he needs games and just got laughed at. The fact that he played CHB in the under 18's as well. Im shocked that we have never trialed him there in the SANFL but hes always been Number 1 banana in ruck just awaiting his chance.

The idea that we have leverage based upon 'list vulnerability' is legit one of the funnier things that I've heard. He can pick where he wants to play next year.

We missed any window at getting him discount, we're now gonna have to pay.

Unless he’s forgotten how to tap, follow up his own ball, tackle and work his arse off, can’t see it
Correct, ROB is and always has been a high effort player. With continuity his game has stepped forward in terms of his skills an impact on the game, but even before that he was always giving 110%. I don't see that element of his game wavering, even if he has regressions in skill, or gets beaten by a better ruckman in certain games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reminds me of Ben Hudson, the way he attacks the ball when it hits the ground.

Another great rookie selection from Hamish. Keep it up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes he reminds me of Ben too, with Reilly able to tap and clear it whereas I don't remember Hudson being a great tap ruckman.

Hudson was probably a better kick though.

This is why we need to sign him because many supporters were unhappy when we let Hudson go to the Bulldogs for hardly anything.
It turned out fine in the end though.

And i'd argue he holds 1-2 at most, and those 1-2 are just the potential for us to give up our chase for Grundy, or Grundy resigns for Collingwood. Once that resolves, then yes, I'd agree he holds all of the cards.

He's not the wanted commodity on our end currently whilst we're going hard at Grundy. He's nothing more than an inevitable list problem in a chase full of inevitable list problems in this scenario.

Last edited:
The idea that we have leverage based upon 'list vulnerability' is legit one of the funnier things that I've heard. He can pick where he wants to play next year.

We missed any window at getting him discount, we're now gonna have to pay.

It's not leverage at all. It's us being very eager to trade him to get him off our books.

A price must be paid to get Grundy, and ROB is certainly a part of that cost on top of whatever salary/draft pick bounty we pay to attract him.

Last edited:
I think that's because Longmire has pigeon-holed him as a small forward when Ben played his best and some really dominant football as a midfielder ironically also for the Calder Cannons. I'd really like to see what he could do if given a decent crack in the midfield with his speed and toughness especially his Dangerfield like acceleration from the contest.
Heeney and Ronke played forward constantly and Mills back is an indictment on horse's coaching imo.

And i'd argue he holds 1-2 at most, and those 1-2 are just the potential for us to give up our chase for Grundy, or Grundy resigns for Collingwood. Once that resolves, then yes, I'd agree he holds all of the cards.

He's not the wanted commodity on our end currently whilst we're going hard at Grundy. He's nothing more than an inevitable list problem in a chase full of inevitable list problems in this scenario.

If nothing else, ROB's form means we wait til FA to target Grundy. If Grundy re-signs with Collingwood prior to FA, well stiff s**t basically. But there is no way we need to look at trading for Grundy, especially with the Carlton pick. I think ROB holds a few more cards than 1-2 and if the current trajectory continues his hand only gets stronger. He's been a game changer in our pursuit of Grundy

Correct, ROB is and always has been a high effort player. With continuity his game has stepped forward in terms of his skills an impact on the game, but even before that he was always giving 110%. I don't see that element of his game wavering, even if he has regressions in skill, or gets beaten by a better ruckman in certain games.

Always figured these traits would hold him in very good stead. Sure, he's not the most skilled ruckman, but there aren't many that are, and that's what probably holds those 2-3 in the top echelon compared to the rest.

I've always thought he reminded me a lot of Nank. A competitive beast, who uses his bigger body and the stoppage and has great 2nd and 3rd efforts. Can clunk a great mark and has an elite tank to get around the ground and float back or forward. His footskills were probably an overstated issue by most, given the position he plays. Yes they still need to improve, and I'm sure now that he's established himself he will be doing a load of work on it this coming PS. But given his competitive nature and ability to provide follow up work at the contest, he just needed that chance.

Pick 1-3 + a younger ROB >> only Gruny imo.

Always figured these traits would hold him in very good stead. Sure, he's not the most skilled ruckman, but there aren't many that are, and that's what probably holds those 2-3 in the top echelon compared to the rest.

I've always thought he reminded me a lot of Nank. A competitive beast, who uses his bigger body and the stoppage and has great 2nd and 3rd efforts. Can clunk a great mark and has an elite tank to get around the ground and float back or forward. His footskills were probably an overstated issue by most, given the position he plays. Yes they still need to improve, and I'm sure now that he's established himself he will be doing a load of work on it this coming PS. But given his competitive nature and ability to provide follow up work at the contest, he just needed that chance.

Pick 1-3 + a younger ROB >> only Gruny imo.
Yeah, pretty good comparison. People pegged him as Sauce 2.0, but watching him play he already does things that i've never seen Sauce do.

Maybe a nice blend of Nank and Sauce, which is a pretty good combo

Yeah, pretty good comparison. People pegged him as Sauce 2.0, but watching him play he already does things that i've never seen Sauce do.

Maybe a nice blend of Nank and Sauce, which is a pretty good combo

Sauce definitely the more skilled ruckman. He's actually probably one of the better kicking ruckman that has played in the AFL. Any bloke can just whack it on the boot 50m down the line, but Sauce has always been deceptively good at that 15-20m stab pass into the corridor.

But what ROB lacks in the skills, he makes up for in contested work, tackles and around the ground ability. Two different ruckman, but each has it's benefits.

I think we're in a good spot with ROB. With his tank, marking ability and work rate, for a ruckman it's pretty hard to go backwards from here (albeit from bad injuries etc). He may might already be close to his ceiling because of his limitations, but if can provide games like this for the next 7 or so years then that's a big positive. Consistency in his output will also prove a a bonus. Games like the Demons for exmaple, he was beaten, but was still able to provide in other areas of the ground.

Currently whilst we go hard at Grundy?

Are you mad, we’re not going for Grundy.

Currently whilst we go hard at Grundy?

Are you mad, we’re not going for Grundy.
I mean we probably are, it would be unforgivable not to do our due diligence there. That said, it's the equivalent of me expecting to get in bed with Emma Stone by screaming at a brick wall. Not gonna happen.

I mean we probably are, it would be unforgivable not to do our due diligence there. That said, it's the equivalent of me expecting to get in bed with Emma Stone by screaming at a brick wall. Not gonna happen.

There’s nothing to suggest we have any real interest in Grundy

He’s contracted, will cost a crap load to acquire in assets and salary, and has no real association with us beyond the generic south Australian tag

There’s equally no suggestion he has any interest in us

It’s pie in the sky stuff

We could use the assets and salary to pursue a player of far more need than Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back