Toast Hail King ROB

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
ROB is without a doubt the main reason why we’ve gone the form reversal since round 4 (1 W and 3 L). His form surge coincides with us winning 6 of our next 8 games.

His second efforts is what’s assisting the team more. More importantly, his inclusion is a simple message by the club “if you give it a fair crack, you’re going to keep being selected”. Take note crappy complacent version JJ and Gibbs.

Jacobs hopefully keeps performing in SANFL to push ROB to the max! The more competition for the 1st ruck spot, the better place we’re in as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Must say, it's been a pretty good year for the Doc.

Stocks have risen. Girls winning and now ROB emerging.

Credit where it's due. Reputation had previously rested entirely on the shoulders of a Carlton trade. Has obviously played the major role in ROB's development and is tracking well.

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I honestly didn’t think he’d make it. For me it was seeing what he had to offer and Jacobs was finished.

But the way he’s come on is amazing. He’s physically a beast, fantastic second efforts, clears the ball, not a bad mark and decent tap work.

Sure his kicking looks ugly and isn’t great but who gives a toss, kicking is the last of the proprieties for a ruckman.

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Given the 6-6-6 rule it's probably not even a big deal his kicking is ugly. Having a ruck who can clear the ball from the middle and get it into the forward line quickly before defenders get a time to flood back is a big deal nowadays. Jacobs might be better at tapping it down, but don't think he ever had that sort of follow up work if our mids don't win it.

King Elvis

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I honestly didn’t think he’d make it. For me it was seeing what he had to offer and Jacobs was finished.

But the way he’s come on is amazing. He’s physically a beast, fantastic second efforts, clears the ball, not a bad mark and decent tap work.

Sure his kicking looks ugly and isn’t great but who gives a toss, kicking is the last of the proprieties for a ruckman.
Seems like a competitive beast who thrives on contact and intensity.

Plenty of players have become guns based purely on those dominant attributes; he seems to be tracking in that direction - just loves the physicality and the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mtbkym

Team Captain
Jun 5, 2016
South
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea, Canucks, Cubbies
He's effectively an extra clearance midfielder, massively valuable part of his game
This is what Grundy brings to a team, and why he is regarded so highly. I’m loving what ROB is bringing right now

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the 6-6-6 rule it's probably not even a big deal his kicking is ugly. Having a ruck who can clear the ball from the middle and get it into the forward line quickly before defenders get a time to flood back is a big deal nowadays. Jacobs might be better at tapping it down, but don't think he ever had that sort of follow up work if our mids don't win it.
I’m not convinced that Sauce is better at tapping it down. Would be interested to see the stats. At least comparing Sauce’s last couple years.

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need to make a decision very soon that he’s our main man going forward because he’ll get at least a couple of 1st ruck offers at very good money. If we’re hunting Grundy then we probably can’t afford ROB as a back up. We can’t have both but could end up with neither if we do chase Grundy but he doesn’t come.

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I’m not convinced that Sauce is better at tapping it down. Would be interested to see the stats. At least comparing Sauce’s last couple years.
ROB is running with a 27.9% hitout to advantage rate. Sauce has averaged between 29%-34% for most of his career. Even last year with a crook back he was at 29.4%. Hitout win % was between 43%-50% (2018 he averaged 47.8%), ROB is currently at 43%.

SaltPeter

"I’m a professional ********ter"
Suspended
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I love that he wins his own clearances

And good luck setting up defensively to intercept them - he doesn't know where hell they're going either
I remember his first set shot at goal, turning to the bloke sitting next to me and saying "this could go anywhere". Yep, out on the full ..

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I remember his first set shot at goal, turning to the bloke sitting next to me and saying "this could go anywhere". Yep, out on the full ..
Yes and it was directly in front pretty much right?

If memory serves me right he did kick one in game number 2 though?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2011
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
ROB is running with a 27.9% hitout to advantage rate. Sauce has averaged between 29%-34% for most of his career. Even last year with a crook back he was at 29.4%. Hitout win % was between 43%-50% (2018 he averaged 47.8%), ROB is currently at 43%.
So ROB not far off Sauce lifetime with ROB less than 20 games in. Plus ROB adds the extra clearances. I think where an in form Sauce was significantly better was being a link option when coming out of defence as he’d work to clear and be a safe option. But I’d take ROB for his extra grunt work over Sauce lifetime average right now. But I’d take Sauce at his peak though.

subaru

Hall of Famer
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree!
Gawns effort after the siren yesterday !

Am stoked for this lad !

Top Bottom