Toast Hail King ROB

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting situation with young O'Brien. He's playing with some extra confidence & belief now and has clearly shown that with further support & perseverance, he should become an A-Grade ruck.

An article in the Melb HUN is asking the question if O'Brien has leapfrogged Jacobs in the pecking order ??

If that is the case, what effect will that have on Jacobs career from now, he will be 32yo going into next season ??

Pyke did refer to Sauce as trying to win back “his spot”. I think many of us hope that ROB is seen as our first choice but are krud scared that 1 bad game and Sauce will be back and there he will stay regardless of form. We’ve had a couple of good surprises at selection this year but also a very recent example of the same old stuff.

Dependlebury

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Btw, the odds are Grundy stays at Collingwood. Would only come to Adelaide for family & friends.

Yeah I don’t think he will leave either. Sounds like he’s very happy at the club and living in Melbourne.
If he did leave I’d be looking to get O’Brien to Collingwood. Rate him highly.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah, just fed up with arguing with the idiots who think they know what is going on but are nowhere near it when its all said and done. They will bring up one point that they turn out to be right on and ignore 100 others where they were blatantly wrong.

As for the intel, a few people from this board still get this via the PM. No point posting it here and getting abused by the idiots.

Obviously with the 1:100 ratio your not referring to me, I’m a solid 1:25. I remember both Thinker and TMS copping that kind of abuse even with impeccable records. One nut job went right off on TMS once over nothing major, can’t remember who, but not sure they still post. It was horrible. Anyway, apologies if I’ve annoyed you, I always really looked forward to your posts even if I didn’t always agree when it came to some discussion topics.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
It means we can wait til Grundy is a free agent & use our early pick this year on a gun midfielder.

Think we’ll still need to trade with Pies for Grundy but we can have a crack at the Geelong method, “Look, we can only give you this and next year’s first, we’re tapped out and nobody decent wants to leave. Sozzles.”

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stiffy_18 has still been giving me a good intel, which usually turns out to be true. In some cases he know claims on this board are wrong, but choose not to get into pointless arguments...

Never doubted his intel, I miss it dearly. I just noted, perhaps a little impolitely, that his general posting demeanour has changed and he’d stopped providing inside info. He’s cleared that up.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I don’t think he will leave either. Sounds like he’s very happy at the club and living in Melbourne.
If he did leave I’d be looking to get O’Brien to Collingwood. Rate him highly.

I don’t think we can afford to wait for Grundy this year, we need to sign ROB before he gets too many offers. If it’s next year it might work. After you match our offer, ROB plus picks might work out.

Dependlebury

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t think we can afford to wait for Grundy this year, we need to sign ROB before he gets too many offers. If it’s next year it might work. After you match our offer, ROB plus picks might work out.

Yep. Hopefully from my POV it doesn’t come to that.
We are in a similar boat with Sier. Kid had better get signed up soon as clubs will be coming hard for him.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone hear what Jacobs said on MMM today about winning back his spot?

I might be wrong but has said anything about how well ROB is doing?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep. Hopefully from my POV it doesn’t come to that.
We are in a similar boat with Sier. Kid had better get signed up soon as clubs will be coming hard for him.

I don’t mind paying for Grundy, I doubt we’ll be able to blow you out of the water and get him for nix. But I don’t want to be wandering into negotiations with pick 1 or 2 in the pocket. If it’s a choice between huge cash and not going to the draft with pick 1 or 2 or keeping ROB, I’m going with the latter.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

If I’ve pegged him right, I’d be very surprised if he didn’t think he was a better option than ROB. Similar to Thommo applying the blowtorch publicly once he started playing good SANFL in 2017. Not that I’d expect that level from Sauce, but I expect they’d share a similar delusion as to how indispensable they are.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If I’ve pegged him right, I’d be very surprised if he didn’t think he was a better option than ROB. Similar to Thommo applying the blowtorch publicly once he started playing good SANFL in 2017. Not that I’d expect that level from Sauce, but I expect they’d share a similar delusion as to how indispensable they are.
Funny that I asked because he was on afl selection night on Fox.

You could see it was paining him to be giving ROB credit and it was all about getting back into the side and getting his spot back.

It’s great that he still has the drive but I wonder how having that attitude at the club would be going down.

Think we’ll still need to trade with Pies for Grundy but we can have a crack at the Geelong method, “Look, we can only give you this and next year’s first, we’re tapped out and nobody decent wants to leave. Sozzles.”
Yes, agree we would probably still have to trade, but let's do it when we don't have a top 2 pick.

I caught his interview on FoxFooty teams & he spoke in good terms of ROB & said he would do everything to continue supporting him with his development. Mentioned how he provided tips on how to play Mummy. Said he will keep giving his all in the SANFL in hope that he can force his way back in to play for a flag he is striving for.

Don't be an idiot. You know full well that the issue that annoys people is where we carry out of form senior players when there's in form players in the 2s that are playing well enough to deserve of a crack. I've not yet seen anybody post that we indiscriminately play kids for the sake of it. Dougie right now is a perfect example, we've got players who can easily replace his present output. If he's carried in this form, ala Wright a few years ago in the "non-statistical" role, then people will rightly be annoyed.

And if we're judging on our record, we need to judge on our entire record- including player retention.

But even beyond that, doesnt the reality of the O'Brien situation reveal the hollowness of claims of an omniscient master plan regarding development?

The club plainly did not have a good read of his current quality. If they did, it is inexplicable that they selected a presently inferior ruckman over him right up until they were injured.

Funny that I asked because he was on afl selection night on Fox.

You could see it was paining him to be giving ROB credit and it was all about getting back into the side and getting his spot back.

It’s great that he still has the drive but I wonder how having that attitude at the club would be going down.
What?

Sauce was professional in his interview. Supportive of ROB & understanding why he is not back in the side. There was nothing poor about his attitude!

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I caught his interview on FoxFooty teams & he spoke in good terms of ROB & said he would do everything to continue supporting him with his development. Mentioned how he provided tips on how to play Mummy. Said he will keep giving his all in the SANFL in hope that he can force his way back in to play for a flag he is striving for.
I just saw it, yes he said the right things but I don’t believe he came across as genuine.

“My spot” “looking forward to getting back in the second half of the year and finishing the year off strong”

The only way he’s getting back in is if a)ROB is injured or b)ROBs form drops, because if ROB keeps this up he’s not getting a game.

So really what he’s saying is screw ROB, I want my spot back.

Never doubted his intel, I miss it dearly. I just noted, perhaps a little impolitely, that his general posting demeanour has changed and he’d stopped providing inside info. He’s cleared that up.

I think this is a pretty consistent trend from posters who consider any criticism of the club to be the realm of 'idiots' though.

Their happiness to participate in the board directly correlates with the ability to credibly sustain the view that the club is well run and successful.

It was easy to be convivial and full of bonhomie when I first joined the board- we were not far removed from premierships, one seemed just around the corner, and we had an argument to be the most successful club in the land if that eventuated.

It's a little bit harder to sustain those views in earnest now, and certainly would be a far less enjoyable place if those are the only views you're prepared to tolerate.

I just saw it, yes he said the right things but I don’t believe he came across as genuine.

“My spot” “looking forward to getting back in the second half of the year and finishing the year off strong”

The only way he’s getting back in is if a)ROB is injured or b)ROBs form drops, because if ROB keeps this up he’s not getting a game.

He said what he said, yet you are making out he meant different. Imo, you are very wrong.

He conducted himself far more professionally compared to JJ when he was dropped.

Are you upset that he said he hoped to get back in the side? I would be worried if he didn't!

Why would he be giving tips to ROB if he was just looking after his own self interest...

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And if we're judging on our record, we need to judge on our entire record- including player retention.

But even beyond that, doesnt the reality of the O'Brien situation reveal the hollowness of claims of an omniscient master plan regarding development?

The club plainly did not have a good read of his current quality. If they did, it is inexplicable that they selected a presently inferior ruckman over him right up until they were injured.
Spot on, they were line ball in the JLT but despite the need to develop ROB and see what he had for the future it was Jacobs “spot” and we are still hearing it especially from Jacobs.

When ROB came in before the true extent of Jacobs injury it was all about Jacobs being available on a weekly basis. Imagine what that would be like on ROB trying to build some form and confidence. As soon as Jacobs was ruled out for awhile ROB’s form skyrocketed.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Pyke preferred to it as “his spot” when talking of Sauce as well. I don’t think there’s anything in it really, but it’s hard to not see it and wonder.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He said what he said, yet you are making out he meant different. Imo, you are very wrong.

He conducted himself far more professionally compared to JJ when he was dropped.

Are you upset that he said he hoped to get back in the side? I would be worried if he didn't!

Why would he be giving tips to ROB if he was just looking after his own self interest...
Why would he give tips to ROB? For the side to win, but imagine if he hadn’t?

hey shorty who can get decent intel said Jacobs was very unhappy when he didn’t come straight back in, despite the lengthy break and how well ROB was doing.

His entitlement makes him believe it’s his spot, but you didn’t answer my question, how is getting back in? The only way is via a ROB injury or a drop in form. How does Jacobs expect to get back in given he thinks it’s a given?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

He hasn’t actually ever been dropped though. He’s played 2 return games in the 2s following injury.

Why would he give tips to ROB? For the side to win, but imagine if he hadn’t?

hey shorty who can get decent intel said Jacobs was very unhappy when he didn’t come straight back in, despite the lengthy break and how well ROB was doing.

His entitlement makes him believe it’s his spot, but you didn’t answer my question, how is getting back in? The only way is via a ROB injury or a drop in form. How does Jacobs expect to get back in given he thinks it’s a given?
He needs to have hope that he can force his way back in even if he is kept out by good form of ROB.

Do you want defeatist players?

He hasn’t actually ever been dropped though. He’s played 2 return games in the 2s following injury.
But he has been displaced as #1 ruckman, otherwise he would have been back in this week. Pyke clarified ROB is the incumbent in his presser.

Back