Hair loss

Remove this Banner Ad

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've been slowly thinning out at the crown for the last couple years. People have been mentioning it is getting worse lately. I've always been fairly okay with it but tonight it has sent me for six after seeing a video with myself head down and realising how bad it's getting. I still have plenty of hair and I'm only 29 but it is becoming an issue for me.

I have a big head and would look awful bald so shaving it isn't an option.

Has anybody dealt with this? What have you tried?

I'm going to give GetMosh a go or potentially speak to my GP and see what he can do for me. I'm hearing Finastride and Monoxyl are the only two treatments that may work.

Yeah, the "just shave it off" comments can be hard to hear when you just don't have the head or body for it. Big difference between Vin Diesel and cancer patient.

Finasteride in combination with minoxidil (which is what all these hair loss clinics will suggest) has good results in stopping hair loss... regrowth is trickier, but if you're lucky you might get some or all of your old hair to return. Finasteride is easy to get prescribed from your GP and minoxidil is over the counter and comes in a liquid or foam solution. The liquid can irritate the scalp and leave a 'greasy' texture on the remaining hair when applied so many prefer the foam. The 2 solutions are supposed to both be as effective as each other, but the liquid definitely feels like it penetrates the scalp deeper and is probably the one to go with if you can tolerate it.

Shave it.

People always say "I have a weird head", but it's simply not true. You never see a bald guy and think, "wow, he has a weird head". The only time people say this is when you have known someone with hair, and no they have a shaved head.

It's just different. People who meet you who have never met you with hair will not even think about it.

I get the concern, I think I have a big head too, to accomodate my advanced brain its necessary.
Somehow I still have a full head of hair down to my shoulders and beyond with no grey at 49.
****ed if I know why.
But it'll go, its just a matter of time.

Shave it.

People always say "I have a weird head", but it's simply not true. You never see a bald guy and think, "wow, he has a weird head". The only time people say this is when you have known someone with hair, and no they have a shaved head.

It's just different. People who meet you who have never met you with hair will not even think about it.

I'm a long way from shaving it. I still have heaps of hair just thinning at the back of the crown. Hopefully finn and monox will help it.

I've been slowly thinning out at the crown for the last couple years. People have been mentioning it is getting worse lately. I've always been fairly okay with it but tonight it has sent me for six after seeing a video with myself head down and realising how bad it's getting. I still have plenty of hair and I'm only 29 but it is becoming an issue for me.

I have a big head and would look awful bald so shaving it isn't an option.

Has anybody dealt with this? What have you tried?

I'm going to give GetMosh a go or potentially speak to my GP and see what he can do for me. I'm hearing Finastride and Monoxyl are the only two treatments that may work.

Propecia works amazing. Will bring balding to a halt and make your hair thicker.

But be very aware of the nasty side effects that a lot of people get.
erection issues, watery cum, depression.

tread with caution.

Add another vote for shave it. I went with the thinning hair, then a close cut before going all in. My only regret is not taking the final leap years earlier. No one looks better with thinning hair then a shaved head IMO. If you're worried about looking 'less manly' I'd go with a shaved head shows confidence versus thinning a desperate attempt to hold on. We're not all lucky enough to have thick hair through life, that sucks, but lean into it.

Yeh, I'm in my 40s and it's getting real thin on top. It pisses me off, because I've had to deal with being plenty hairy my entire life (who doesn't love hairy shoulders) - I thought it would be FAIR for me to at least have a fine, thick thatch of hair on my head as payment for that, but no sireee, I get the friar tuck s**t.

I've thought about it, but I'm just not willing to do chemicals to try to save it, or tattoos to try to hide it. I just cut my hair short, say "* it" and let it happen. And wear hats a fair bit. :/

It really is catching yourself on video that shocks you though, right? From front on it's fine, from above and behind it's.... yikes.

There are hair fibres you can get that give the illusions of thickness but if someone roughs your head up with your hand or you go into water, it will come off. Also just the process of having to clean it up and re apply can be annoying.

I’d recommend shaving it. I used to hate reading people who lost their hair say it but honestly, it’s the best way. If you only are losing it on the scalp aswell, you’ll still have the outline of your hairline so it will look good.

I was paranoid for years in shaving it because of “the shape of my head” but now I get compared to Jason Statham all the time 😂

God, I remember the day, I was in a changing room at a new gym that had sinks and mirrors on the right and left as you walked in. The first time I used this gym I saw the back of my head, and I never wanted to go to the gym again. I knew it had been getting thin, but this was on another level to what I was expecting.

I just shaved it, and despite having a fat head it looks fine. I don't have weird bumps or dents; I've got a few scars, but I've never minded having battle scars to show. (I have quite a long beard, it's weird watching toddlers confused about my upside-down head)

I've got a mate who uses Finasteride - his hair got noticeably thicker over the following months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to come back to this thread and say it's a bit of a bummer that people kept saying "shave it" when the OP had said he didn't want to.

Absolutely people should share their own experiences, especially ones like "I was nervous, I shaved it, it was fine" - but I think a mature approach to mens' health, which I really think BF is doing a great job of trending towards, probably respects the OPs desires a little more?

I am happy to tell my story I am still anonymous I suppose on here.

I am 28 and now have hair or toupee/wig as of last September.

I was bald when I was 19 and for 8 years my self esteem was s**t. Had no confidence when going out because I had this big bald spot in the middle of the head.

Bald jokes from mates while it was a bit of fun get you down inside and it's just becomes jealously that why I was the only one with the issue out of our friends group.

I went to Advanced Hair last march ironically it was the day shane warne tragically died as I remember this specifically as i was just seeing his face and posters all over the studio and the following morning I woke up he was dead.

Anyway i got a consultation the manager was surprised I was telling the truth on my paperwork when i said 7 years as generally most people try to lie.

He told me straight away it couldn't be fixed naturally but did have other options. The option he told me was how comfortable would i be to basically have someone's else hair on my head. My response was well I just want to have hair and being 27 at the time I felt the clock was ticking while still being in my prime.

I bit the bullet and opted for it once I found out the costing. Now it's not cheap but I thought it would cost more.

Now it takes 6 months to get done as basically they grab a sample of my natural and find a donor of a similar and basically glue it onto a system that then glues to your scalp.

So I go back once a month where I get my natural hair on the back trimmed to match the length of the system while they take it off system and refuse it. Takes about an hour.

I also have dermatitis issues on the scalp so it hasn't been easy transformation but I can tell you if you didn't know before you wouldn't have a clue my hair isn't mine.

They blend it in so well with technology these days you don't notice a thing.

Btw the manager I went too also did work on warnie but also another famous Australian cricketer 15 years that doesn't align himself with advanced hair publically as he had a photo with him on his desk after the procedure. I think it's pretty easy to guess who.

I am happy to tell my story I am still anonymous I suppose on here.

I am 28 and now have hair or toupee/wig as of last September.

I was bald when I was 19 and for 8 years my self esteem was s**t. Had no confidence when going out because I had this big bald spot in the middle of the head.

Bald jokes from mates while it was a bit of fun get you down inside and it's just becomes jealously that why I was the only one with the issue out of our friends group.

I went to Advanced Hair last march ironically it was the day shane warne tragically died as I remember this specifically as i was just seeing his face and posters all over the studio and the following morning I woke up he was dead.

Anyway i got a consultation the manager was surprised I was telling the truth on my paperwork when i said 7 years as generally most people try to lie.

He told me straight away it couldn't be fixed naturally but did have other options. The option he told me was how comfortable would i be to basically have someone's else hair on my head. My response was well I just want to have hair and being 27 at the time I felt the clock was ticking while still being in my prime.

I bit the bullet and opted for it once I found out the costing. Now it's not cheap but I thought it would cost more.

Now it takes 6 months to get done as basically they grab a sample of my natural and find a donor of a similar and basically glue it onto a system that then glues to your scalp.

So I go back once a month where I get my natural hair on the back trimmed to match the length of the system while they take it off system and refuse it. Takes about an hour.

I also have dermatitis issues on the scalp so it hasn't been easy transformation but I can tell you if you didn't know before you wouldn't have a clue my hair isn't mine.

They blend it in so well with technology these days you don't notice a thing.

Btw the manager I went too also did work on warnie but also another famous Australian cricketer 15 years that doesn't align himself with advanced hair publically as he had a photo with him on his desk after the procedure. I think it's pretty easy to guess who.
You got dermatitis from the hair, or you had it already?

Another option is if you're gungsta like Travis Barker you can just get tattoos in the spots where a hairline is and it makes you not look bald, even though you are and that's why you got the tattoos despite claiming gungsta.

https://imagevars.gulfnews.com/2022/04/05/Kourtney-1649167720788_17ffa0e61a2_medium.jpg

You got dermatitis from the hair, or you had it already?
Already had seborrheic dermatitis. I think it's hereditary from mum's side. Get on my face from time to time.

With it being on the scalp as well with more hair it's can look a bit more flakey then what it used too.

But just learning to wash it and shampoo it more efficiently is a big change as well.

Having gone most of my life not necessarily caring but obviously not putting the effort in look after the hair previously to now is a big shift.

Already had seborrheic dermatitis. I think it's hereditary from mum's side. Get on my face from time to time.

With it being on the scalp as well with more hair it's can look a bit more flakey then what it used too.

But just learning to wash it and shampoo it more efficiently is a big change as well.

Having gone most of my life not necessarily caring but obviously not putting the effort in look after the hair previously to now is a big shift.
So you are able to wash your scalp at home with the hair system on?

What did people say when you debuted it?

"Whoa, how come your hair thickened up?"

"I don't know, I got lucky"

😂

I’ve seen those systems. They looks pretty neat to be fair. I mean girls wear extensions and African women wear weaves so I don’t think it’s any different to wear a system if it works for you.

I’d get paranoid personally playing sports or something though.

So you are able to wash your scalp at home with the hair system on?

What did people say when you debuted it?

"Whoa, how come your hair thickened up?"

"I don't know, I got lucky"

😂
Nah tbh most people i worked with didn't say too much as i always wore a hat maybe just being respectful. But it wasn't a big deal

Mates didn't really care they were happy i was happy and said it looked good.

It was probably a shock for the first week once everyone at work, family and friends saw it and adjusted mentally myself with it. Then it was pretty easy and i don't even think twice about it now.

I’m 28 and receding has slowly begun. Everywhere else on my head seems to be fine. No one could really tell anything is happening with the exception of myself and my partner but when you see old photos of videos it’s a little more clearer.

I’ve been grappling with the idea of doing something about it via GP or another method. I’ve always been told early intervention is key but I know once I start treatment you can’t really stop. I also don’t particularly like the idea of any possible sexual side effects given we’ll be trying for kids in the nest 18 months.

DYOR but hair transplant in Turkey may be an option.

Oh lord, no....

Guys just need to get used to the idea of losing hair.

I remember when I was maybe 30 and the barber who I asked for recommendations suggested I just should shave it down to a number one. As a young good looking guy with lots of hair I was insulted. lol

Takes a few years of maturity but you eventually get over the vanity side of things. Yeah yeah??

Oh lord, no....

Guys just need to get used to the idea of losing hair.

I remember when I was maybe 30 and the barber who I asked for recommendations suggested I just should shave it down to a number one. As a young good looking guy with lots of hair I was insulted. lol

Takes a few years of maturity but you eventually get over the vanity side of things. Yeah yeah??

Please don't come in here, bump an old thread, and accuse those asking for advice on a genuine medical issue of being "vain".

You're not the mature one in this debate, your comment is really childish and unhelpful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back