Skills Half Back Flank- Tips/Help for Attacking

Remove this Banner Ad

that's the role i play and its all about reading the play and hopefully having the backing of your other backman so you can run off without worrying too much about your opponent...once you do get it though you want to run and carry and kick over the next line, the run especially important if your long kicking skills are no good

that's the role i play and its all about reading the play and hopefully having the backing of your other backman so you can run off without worrying too much about your opponent...once you do get it though you want to run and carry and kick over the next line, the run especially important if your long kicking skills are no good

I really enjoy running off, but I can go missing for a quarter or more. I read the play well and can hit targets up to 35m away with ease. Also I have kicked 7 goals in 8 games. Any tips on how to stay in the game for all 4 quarters? :thumbsu:

unfortunately us backman are at the mercy of the forwards and the midfield and the amount and quality if pressure they apply up the field

just remember we are defending the goals so if you're man is not doing any scoreboard damage or assisting, then you're doing your job

I always draw up invisible lines in my head on the field which I use to decide which areas of the ground im going to run to.

I would generally run as far as the forward 50m and not cross to the other side of the ground. If you draw some boundaries it should be easier to run off.

Just make sure to only go when you have the footy. You need to be fit enough to run back to your opponent if there is a turnover on the field. :thumbsu:

unfortunately us backman are at the mercy of the forwards and the midfield and the amount and quality if pressure they apply up the field

just remember we are defending the goals so if you're man is not doing any scoreboard damage or assisting, then you're doing your job

The midfielders and forwards in my team, hang s**t on us defenders. I feel we are a close knit group and that is probably why our teams % is 241. :D all season I have probably only had 3 or 4 goals kicked on me.
I always draw up invisible lines in my head on the field which I use to decide which areas of the ground im going to run to.

I would generally run as far as the forward 50m and not cross to the other side of the ground. If you draw some boundaries it should be easier to run off.

Just make sure to only go when you have the footy. You need to be fit enough to run back to your opponent if there is a turnover on the field. :thumbsu:

Yeah I always push back when, I move forward

You just need to be able to read the play well and chose the times when to push up the field. Make sure you dont head into the forward 50 because if there is a quick rebound you will be accountable at the other end.
It would also be best to speak to the coach first just to see what he says. A few times I got a spray from my coach for leaving my man when I used to play in the back line, even though I always got back to defend.

Have supreme confidence in your ability my friend

I have played my best footy (albeit not at a high level) off a half-back flank - and have done so when I've backed myself in to take the game on/had the confidence to play an attacking game off half-back. If your team is doing well, then it makes it even easier

Good luck!

Have supreme confidence in your ability my friend

I have played my best footy (albeit not at a high level) off a half-back flank - and have done so when I've backed myself in to take the game on/had the confidence to play an attacking game off half-back. If your team is doing well, then it makes it even easier

Good luck!

Thanks AS. I like to have a run off half back and back myself. :thumbsu:

attacking off the half back line is simply about judging the play and confidence in yourself and your teammates that you won't get burnt going the other way.

i'm generally much more attack minded than defensive minded, but on the odd occasions i move to the half back line i tend to just worry about my opponent. i try to pick opportunities to attack but i just don't seem to find them as often as when i'm playing in my normal role in the midfield.

for that reason i don't really like playing half back. although i am usually pretty good at stopping a bloke getting the ball so it's not bad to go down and take the pressure off you mentally because you don't have to create or make opportunities which is what's required in the midfield... when you don't get the ball for half a quarter whilst playing in the guts you start to feel like a liability. at least in the half back line when that happens, if you're opponent hasn't got the ball either, of he has just got a couple of dinky handballs up on their half back line, you're still doing your job...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back