Half time entertainment at the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Angry Anderson in the 1991 granny at Waverley is the most memorable. Singing in the bat-mobile with that athlete trying (though not very hard) to hide his laughter and Rob De Castella looking dorky tapping his foot, though you got the feeling part of Deek wanted to flea the scene. Apart from this I have trouble recalling any other half time entertainment.
I can recall in 1986 they had Olivia Newton-John singing something. It was a pre-recorded song which played while a bunch of youths danced and pranced about the MCG.

Half time entertainment only really ran from 1987 till about 1995 (assuming that the half time sprint isn't considered entertainment), apart from the Batmobile there was a message, perhaps tongue in cheek, that during the 1995 show which was a tribute to Australian Film that the Geelong fans should refrain from substituting the words of Love is in the Air (the John Paul Young song used in Strictly Ballroom) to Ablett's In The Air (which Roy and HG ignored). Nothing else springs to mind.

I can't quite make out what Jackie is singing in some of the verses. As the song progresses she sings other words instead of "Cazaly".
Up there Bruce Lindner (West) ~~~
Up there Rick Davies (Sturt) ~~~
Up there young Motley (Sturt) ~~~
Fly like young Luders (West) ~~~

Remove this Banner Ad

Back