Review Half yearly update

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interested to hear what expectation you had of Hipwood on his return from a full knee re-construction?
He’s been quiet no doubt, but he’s never really been a high possession player obviously anyway. Personally I probably would’ve given him a game or two back in the ressies but then our hands were tied a bit with Joe and Dan going out.

I expect him to come good later in the year like Cam has, but having said that when you come back and play firsts you leave yourself open to criticism just like Cam received earlier in the year.

The good thing with Eric is he will never have to be the main man here again like he was a few years ago, which he isn’t. He’s not a contested marking player, but a 200cm HFFer which when up and running at his best again will make the forward line even more dangerous.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He’s been quiet no doubt, but he’s never really been a high possession player obviously anyway. Personally I probably would’ve given him a game or two back in the ressies but then our hands were tied a bit with Joe and Dan going out.

I expect him to come good later in the year like Cam has, but having said that when you come back and play firsts you leave yourself open to criticism just like Cam received earlier in the year.

The good thing with Eric is he will never have to be the main man here again like he was a few years ago, which he isn’t. He’s not a contested marking player, but a 200cm HFFer which when up and running at his best again will make the forward line even more dangerous.
I'm wondering whether we need the 3 talls in the forward line and McStay could be put to better use.

I don’t personally think that Eric gains anything by playing in the 2’s.

He'd gain something, but very little. Needs to play in the firsts. We've already seen the benefits of doing so with Cam Rayners form.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, look definitely not now that he’s had a few games back even if those games have been quiet. As Nunez said you hope we gain the benefits of these few quiet weeks later in the season.

It would be interesting whether we’d have played him straight away if Joe and/or Dan weren’t injured when he came back, but it’s something I guess we will never know, even if Fages said his intention was always to play seniors etc.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He'd gain something, but very little. Needs to play in the firsts. We've already seen the benefits of doing so with Cam Rayners form.
I do wonder with Cockatoo even though VFL he been up and down
Another run in the first might help. VFL can be super scrappy
Although interesting to see what we do when Lohmann is fit again.
I do think we have a lot of small forward for a team with 3 talls and Charlie as locks.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

In the first 4 of his 5 comeback games this year he has had the #1 defender. The opposition do not put their #1 defender onto a HHFer. In most of his career, he has had the #1 defender. Even last year with Joey in the 22, Hippy had the #1 defender around 40% of the time. It's easy to forget he is only 24 years old and up until he did his knee in Round 17, he had 26 goals to his name last season. Dan has 3 years on him and Joey has 4. Fagan & Co are extremely happy with his first 5 games back from injury and the expectation is that he continues to get better every game he plays from here.
For me, our 3 key forwards need to be playing for us to be any chance to win this years premiership. They are our main difference to other clubs we will play come finals.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the first 4 of his 5 comeback games this year he has had the #1 defender. The opposition do not put their #1 defender onto a HHFer. In most of his career, he has had the #1 defender. Even last year with Joey in the 22, Hippy had the #1 defender around 40% of the time. It's easy to forget he is only 24 years old and up until he did his knee in Round 17, he had 26 goals to his name last season. Dan has 3 years on him and Joey has 4. Fagan & Co are extremely happy with his first 5 games back from injury and the expectation is that he continues to get better every game he plays from here.
For me, our 3 key forwards need to be playing for us to be any chance to win this years premiership. They are our main difference to other clubs we will play come finals.
Some of Eric's off the ball/goal assist efforts in his first game back v Crows were sublime...so good to have him back in the team knowing that he will take time but get better and better as the season unfolds although realistically I can't imagine him being back to his best until 2023.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are on top, that can’t be argued. We haven’t had a good win against any team of substance. That too can’t be argued. We are flat track bullies at this point, with a midfield that lacks depth and a point of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I continue to get he feeling you are close personal friends with Hipwood Mighty Lions.

We are on top, that can’t be argued. We haven’t had a good win against any team of substance. That too can’t be argued. We are flat track bullies at this point, with a midfield that lacks depth and a point of difference.

Eh? Sydney, Saints and Collingwood. Given 2/3 of those teams beat Melbourne - they can be quite dangerous on their day.

A flat track bully is a team who only beats teams outside of the 8. That is not us. Equally, our losses have been close and could have gone either way - not a sign of a team that can only beat low sitting teams.

So does Hadley and Boyd.

Hadley doesn't. Stood by him for years, only for him to nick off to Carlton when it looked like he was getting it all back to a degree on the back of a PSD threat that saw us get bugger all.

Yeah, I'm the type to hold grudges against underperforming players leaving our team for decades... :D

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eh? Sydney, Saints and Collingwood. Given 2/3 of those teams beat Melbourne - they can be quite dangerous on their day.

A flat track bully is a team who only beats teams outside of the 8. That is not us. Equally, our losses have been close and could have gone either way - not a sign of a team that can only beat low sitting teams.
In addition to that, most "experts" in the media (King, Brereton, Montagna, Hudson just to name a few) are repeatedly saying we are the real deal and one of the genuine favorites to win this years flag. From where I sit, the majority of the doubters come from our own supporters here on BF and social media which I find quite sad and wrong.

In addition to that, most "experts" in the media (King, Brereton, Montagna, Hudson just to name a few) are repeatedly saying we are the real deal and one of the genuine favorites to win this years flag. From where I sit, the majority of the doubters come from our own supporters here on BF and social media which I find quite sad and wrong.

To take it one step further, Damien Barrett is even on board the Lions GF train and he is not a fan of us. Says a lot!

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Come Nunez none of Sydney Saints or Pies are serious contender. All three could easily slide out of the 8 before the end of the H&A season.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hadley doesn't. Stood by him for years, only for him to nick off to Carlton when it looked like he was getting it all back to a degree on the back of a PSD threat that saw us get bugger all.

Yeah, I'm the type to hold grudges against underperforming players leaving our team for decades... :D

Yeah that disappointed me as well. Really felt for Boyd though. Best 22 even in that era of not for injuries. He would have won a flag or two but for his body.

Come Nunez none of Sydney Saints or Pies are serious contender. All three could easily slide out of the 8 before the end of the H&A season.

The Saints were serious contenders... until we beat them. Now it means nothing apparently. Same with Sydney - they were top 4 when we beat them. Apparently we keep getting teams when they're contenders until they're not. Fremantle weren't contenders until they beat us. Obviously we need to have a talk with Gil about the schedule - only teams which will be considered contenders after they lose to us please.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don’t think any supporters doubt we’re contenders but we’ve been contenders for a few years now and shouldn’t be satisfied with that.

The Roar Deal covered it well. We have nothing left to accomplish in the home and away season and most fans want to see signs we can take the next step in finals. Which I don’t think we’ve seen yet. Probably the opposite and we’ll struggle if we have to play a top 4 team away from home

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Saints were serious contenders... until we beat them. Now it means nothing apparently. Same with Sydney - they were top 4 when we beat them. Apparently we keep getting teams when they're contenders until they're not. Fremantle weren't contenders until they beat us. Obviously we need to have a talk with Gil about the schedule - only teams which will be considered contenders after they lose to us please.

Beat the Cats or Melb win they are in form, gee even the lil Tigies on their current form, then you can say we are contenders. Until then we beating also rans with nothing to get excited about.

Jeremiah001

Cancelled
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know that I'm pretty excited that we are top of the table. Seriously how much more can people ask for at this stage of the season.

Back