News Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

And that is what i was trying to say that of course noone deliberately went out of their way to choose undeserving ppl for a HoF BUT if a bloke can play one decent (and I mean really decent) season of footy and get in a ToC then god help me. (Again, not sure about the best season ever! - think Roos, 1986 would have to go close - against quality CHF of the day he was unstoppable). I think i could have found room for 10 more blokes, all playing bn 79-86, probably the most successful period the Roys ever played in post 1944. Macca for sure, and to be consistent, maybe use the same logic that i used for Lynch with Warwick irwin. Just think players loyalty should be rewarded TBH. Bit soft but then i also think Lynch is a fairly average player/manager...:D

Lynch was a good player for most of his time at Fitzroy & often beat quality opposition, but for the 2nd half of 1993 he was an out & out star. He was just about the best player in the League during that period. Wayne Carey would have been the only other contender, but he missed a few games through injury. Lynch was the difference between Fitzroy winning & losing about 5 matches. By that, I mean Fitzroy won those games, but if any other player had taken Lynch’s place, we would have lost. I’ve never seen any other player have that much impact on a season. Guys like Roos, Wilson & Quinlan were better players for the Roys than Lynch, but none had the same impact on the result of matches that Lynch had that season. He was both fast & strong, which made him virtually impossible to match up on. Until then his goalkicking had been hit & miss, but it all came together for him for that purple patch. He would put the goals on the board early to give Fitzroy a decent lead, then move to full back to defend that lead.

It was on the strength of that season that the Brisbane Bears offered him a 10 year contract. I was bitterly disappointed that he left us, but I can understand his reasons. It had a devastating effect on Fitzroy & hammered one of the biggest nails in our AFL coffin. I can understand why plenty of Fitzroy people have never forgiven him.

I didn’t watch many of his games after he left the Roys, but the fact that he came back after serious injury & a debilitating illness to be a key player for the Brisbane Lions late in his career add merit (pardon the pun) to his selection in the Hall of Fame for the combined clubs.

And that is what i was trying to say that of course noone deliberately went out of their way to choose undeserving ppl for a HoF BUT if a bloke can play one decent (and I mean really decent) season of footy and get in a ToC then god help me.

To me, that statement seems to be a contradiction.

(Again, not sure about the best season ever! - think Roos, 1986 would have to go close - against quality CHF of the day he was unstoppable).

I think Lynch's 1993 season would have to be up there. It would be comparable to the best seasons of Quinlan, Roos and Wilson, just to use a few recent examples. I suppose Osborne had a couple of years in which he dominated as well. I think FP's post is a good summation of Lynch's '93 season, though.

I guess there'd be very few people who'd be able to give an account of the season's of players from our first half-century, but it'd certainly be interesting to hear how those who did see them feel that they compare with Fitzroy's stars of latter years.

I think i could have found room for 10 more blokes, all playing bn 79-86, probably the most successful period the Roys ever played in post 1944. Macca for sure, and to be consistent, maybe use the same logic that i used for Lynch with Warwick irwin. Just think players loyalty should be rewarded TBH.

Personally, I think there is probably more of a case for players from Fitzroy's earlier years to make the team, rather than more players from recent history.

If we were to cut players from the team because they were "disloyal", we'd probably have to cut out Bunton, Roos, Osborne, Pert, Lynch, Irwin, Murphy and possibly even Murray, given that they all went elsewhere during their careers. We'd probably also have to reconsider Quinlan's selection, given that he was not a one-club player.
Bit soft but then i also think Lynch is a fairly average player/manager...:D

What, because he's bound to cough up H.Bennell and L.Patrick to the Lions in the near future?

No contradiction - just don't believe that anyone involved in selecting a HoF or ToC would deliberately pick players who didn't deserve to be there. Doesn't mean we all have to agree with their selections, just that I'm sure noone has a mindset that says "now i'm just going to choose a mate here, no matter how good they were"..
Yep - fair summation from FP too. A good player (as I have been saying, no more, no less) but an incredibly good 11-12 games in one season???? I would suggest that it is a disgrace if he was picked on this season alone in the FFC ToC (I will concede with you on the HoF:)). I would say that playing 5 very very good seasons of footy for the one club should come into consideration as a prerequisite at the very least, maybe even more.
Agree re early part of the century would be more deserving players but unfortunately alot of these ToC things are as much about marketing as selecting the best players. Wouldn't be much a of a night if 50% of the team wasn't there bc they were 6" under!!

And Lynch was Fev's manager up here..:eek:

I think Lynch's 1993 season would have to be up there. It would be comparable to the best seasons of Quinlan, Roos and Wilson, just to use a few recent examples.

The very best season/s that Quinlan, Roos and Wilson had (hard to pick because of how many good ones they had; especially Wilson) was in a totally different class to Lynch at his best. In reality, the worst full season Wilson ever had was probably as good as Lynch's best. That's not a criticism of Lynch, just a reflection on how genuinely great Wilson was. Actually, that word, 'great', is what distinguishes the four players. Wilson, Quinlan and Roos were great players; Lynch was just a very, very good one.

A good player (as I have been saying, no more, no less) but an incredibly good 11-12 games in one season???? I would suggest that it is a disgrace if he was picked on this season alone in the FFC ToC (I will concede with you on the HoF:)). I would say that playing 5 very very good seasons of footy for the one club should come into consideration as a prerequisite at the very least, maybe even more.

Lynch's entire 1993 season had him up there with the very best players in the game in that season. His other years at Fitzroy were very good, particularly as a young player who played above his weight (figuratively speaking).

Perhaps his career in his Fitzory years might be on a par with someone like D.Ryan, who was a dominant standout without having played a huge amount of games.

Garry Wilson was an out and out champion - the best Fitzroy player I ever saw (never saw Murray play) closely followed by Roos and Pert. Didn't see enough of Murphy to make a call but he obviously was a champion. Lynch one B&F in a side that was not good enough to play finals in all that time doesn't put him in ToC category IMO. Like you actually said Stocka - 6 interchange?? Sort of like saying "we can't decide". I wouldn't have had Conlan in there either TBH.

I think there will be controversy with all toc hof selections but as much as I had an axe to grind with lynch when he left as it basically killed us one great season shouldn't give you toc status on the other hand as an outsider looking in on the the brisbane side he does have he credits for hall of fame selection. I hope that they don't extend the bench on the toc team like they did with north as it cheapens it.fans ex players will always argue disagree with selections it just the way it is. On the other hand I think what people have been saying about Roos Wilson Quinlan they are three four rungs above lynch in terms of his fitzroy days.

Yes, unfort I have had to concede on the HoF... :( ToC think I'm quite certain! :)

Hard one Stocka re Ossie v Conlan. Same same but different players in a lot of respects. Both great goal kickers and Ossie was a fantastic HBF before moving fwd. More versatile than Mickey but anyway its all about opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conlan played more games and kicked almost as many goals as Osborne over their respective Fitzroy careers. Also, although it was only one moment in time, Conlan's goal in the 1986 Elimination Final, on top of his playing record and being a fan favourite, would just about have guaranteed him his spot!

Also, if we were to include the "loyalty" factor, Osborne's departure might count against him! I know of some supporters who felt that he let the team down in big games and also became very much about himself in his latter Fitzroy years, and that giving him the captaincy was an effort to appease him. I suppose some of that might just be supposition, though.

It's interesting that neither Conlan or Osborne made it into Fitzroy's "Greatest Team 1944-1993". I don't know who it was selected by, but presumably it was by club experts. For what it's worth, a certain A.Lynch actually made it into that team ahead of both of them, along with M.Armstrong! :D

I think there will be controversy with all toc hof selections but as much as I had an axe to grind with lynch when he left as it basically killed us one great season shouldn't give you toc status on the other hand as an outsider looking in on the the brisbane side he does have he credits for hall of fame selection. I hope that they don't extend the bench on the toc team like they did with north as it cheapens it.fans ex players will always argue disagree with selections it just the way it is. On the other hand I think what people have been saying about Roos Wilson Quinlan they are three four rungs above lynch in terms of his fitzroy days.

There's absolutely no grounds upon which anyone could justify adding to or changing the Fitzroy Team of the Century, given that it represents an actual period of time which had concluded prior to the selection of the team (therefore all information about selections was available), and likewise, Fitzroy no longer fields an AFL team, despite the fact that the Lions represent the Fitzroy identity and heritage at AFL level.

"AFL Legend Kevin Murray could have ended up in jail if not for Fitzroy Football Club" (Behind a pay wall)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...oy-football-club/story-e6frf9jf-1226406531528

Only paywalled on the Hun website.

That's easy to get around, because those articles are always republished on other Murdoch sites, so you only need to put the title of the article into Google to find it again. And thus...

AFL legend Kevin Murray could have ended up in jail if not for Fitzroy Football Club
531246-kevin-murray.jpg
BROWNLOW medallist and AFL legend Kevin Murray says he could have ended up in jail without the support and stability of the Fitzroy Football Club.
On the night he was made a legend at the inaugural Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame event, along with another Fitzroy champion, the late Haydn Bunton, Murray spoke passionately about how football had helped shape his life.

"I owe everything that I have achieved to the Fitzroy Football Club," Murray, 74, said. "It got me off the streets ... We were doing some wild things in the past. I would have definitely finished in jail, there is no doubt about that.

"Many years later, when I had to go and do a few sportsman's nights at Pentridge, some of my old mates were there in jail. I thought I could have ended up in that area, too.

"But the people of Fitzroy - the players, the administrators and the supporters - gave me some of the most lasting memories of my life."

Murray went on to become one of the most durable, decorated and determined footballers in VFL-AFL history. He played 333 games in 18 seasons with Fitzroy, winning nine club best-and-fairests. His Brownlow Medal win in 1969 was one of the most popular with football fans in the medal's history.

Already an AFL Hall of Fame member since 1996 and an AFL Legend since 2010, Murray was the star of last night's show at Crown Palladium that linked the history of three clubs (Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions).

Besides Murray and Bunton, who were named club legends, 15 others were admitted to the Hall of Fame, including Fitzroy luminaries Garry Wilson, Bernie Quinlan and Paul Roos, as well as members of Brisbane's triple premiership sides, Michael Voss, Alastair Lynch, Justin Leppitsch and Marcus Ashcroft.

The incredibly popular Murray said: "It is fantastic that they have honoured the three clubs with their own Hall of Fame. Hopefully, some of the Fitzroy supporters who didn't follow the Brisbane Lions will take heed of this, because they are acknowledging our history."

He said Brisbane's streak of premierships at the start of the 21st century had almost "resurrected Fitzroy" and he remains a passionate Lions supporter.

Memories flooded back for Murray as he returned to the famous Brunswick St Oval this week. He wears his Brownlow on a chain around his neck so he can share it with fans.

He said: "I owe my success to all of my teammates, but, most of all, I am grateful for the supporters. They inspired us, they encouraged us, they never deserted us. We weren't having a lot of team success, but they kept supporting us. They helped me win (the Brownlow). At least they will have something to remember you by when you end up pushing up daisies."

Murray's 1969 Brownlow win, though, was not his ultimate personal highlight. That was being named captain of the Fitzroy Team of the Century - a club in which his father, Dan, played in the 1944 premiership side, and his two brothers, Ron and Danny, played in the seconds and thirds.

He says he will never forget meeting the Royal Family at a Fitzroy-Richmond game in 1970. One of his tasks was to introduce Prince Philip to his teammates.

"I got the MBE from the Queen in 1974. It won't buy me a drink, but I am the only scaffold-hand in the world with an MBE," Murray said.

That's typical of the Lions' stalwart, a legend of the game and a champion, down-to-earth bloke, loved and admired by all.

Conlan played more games and kicked almost as many goals as Osborne over their respective Fitzroy careers. Also, although it was only one moment in time, Conlan's goal in the 1986 Elimination Final, on top of his playing record and being a fan favourite, would just about have guaranteed him his spot!

Also, if we were to include the "loyalty" factor, Osborne's departure might count against him! I know of some supporters who felt that he let the team down in big games and also became very much about himself in his latter Fitzroy years, and that giving him the captaincy was an effort to appease him. I suppose some of that might just be supposition, though.

It's interesting that neither Conlan or Osborne made it into Fitzroy's "Greatest Team 1944-1993". I don't know who it was selected by, but presumably it was by club experts. For what it's worth, a certain A.Lynch actually made it into that team ahead of both of them, along with M.Armstrong! :D

"Club experts" is a loose term Stocka - their opinions are worth no more than yours or mine if they have only seen players play that we have. Sounds like they were Tasmanians in any case!:D

Don't disagree with your sentiments on Ossie / Conlan - arguments for and against for both I assume. Not sure Tassie was saying that we should change the ToC - again just his opinion. Guarantee you they very same debate goes on around every ToC at every football club.

"Club experts" is a loose term Stocka - their opinions are worth no more than yours or mine if they have only seen players play that we have. Sounds like they were Tasmanians in any case!:D

People inside the club probably have a better idea of the value of players than those outside it, given that supporters are not always aware of role-specific requirements that players adhered to, which may have sacrificed their own game or the value provided by a certain player's leadership, or the value of a certain player's impact.

I would imagine that the people who helped compile the 1944-1993 team would have had an extensive knowledge of the players and would have seen them play.

Not sure Tassie was saying that we should change the ToC - again just his opinion.

No, I think he was saying that it should not be changed. Something that I agree with.[/quote]

To give a bit of an update, the Brisbane Lions held their second Hall off Fame night last night (they are schedule to occur every two years, in Melbourne / Brisbane respectively).

They inducted a further 10 players from the Club's combined history - Fitzroy, Brisabane Bears, Brisbane Lions. Here are some articles / links on who has been inducted:
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-05-21/10-inducted-into-hall-of-fame
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-05-22/gone-but-not-forgotten (the four early Fitzroy players inducted)
http://www.lions.com.au/Club/history/halloffame/inductees (biographies)

The big ones this time around for Fitzroy fans are Chris Johnson and Norm Brown as well as a number of early Fitzroy players that I admit even I hadn't heard of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back