Portfolio Halving the AFL take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
42220927525_289afe3fbf_b.jpg

A while ago I put together a portfolio called "Halving the AFL." I've revisited the idea with an updated template and layout.

The basic idea is simple. The AFL has experienced a massive financial downturn. Clubs are left in a desperate situation; merge or fall apart. The limited AFL step up and enforce a plan to only fund merged clubs.

This led to a mad rush by clubs to find partners. Some marriages were happy, others... not so much.

43125157181_2e7d1da29c_b.jpg

29253259038_1bf705eaeb_b.jpg

One of the more unhappier marriages to result from merger years were the Tullamarine based Bombers. The Bombers and Bulldogs were never happy in each others company, but the Western Suburbs of Melbourne were seen by the AFL as a region that could not be left unoccupied, and another club had stepped in to fill the northern region, leaving Essendon in the lurch. Staying at Tullamarine was one carrot offered push the Bombers into the merger, and the reality of having to relocate even further afield was enough for the Bulldogs to agree.

42220840615_dbfd7122c4_b.jpg

43125158791_23def512b0_b.jpg

When ther mergers began, it was obvious to most that the AFL was never going to fund more than three clubs in Melbourne. New Markets were desperately needed to supplement the income of the new clubs. Hawthorn, as ever, emerged as innovators, and recognized the unique place they and North Melbourne had in perhaps the most ready new market - Tasmania.

The Tasmania Football club was soon formed, basing themselves out of Hobart, and paying four games in Launceston.

43125160041_721ab6c9ef_b.jpg

43075342422_e87a7845c6_b.jpg

In the Northern States competition the equation was pretty simple. Two clubs become one, state representative side. This did mean the two AFL expansion sides of the past, now seen as expensive and wasteful luxuries, were swallowed up by there more established neighbors. In the case of the Queensland sides, it lead to a unique opportunity to re brand as a uniquely Queensland entity. While the Fitzroy colours were dropped, the old Lions were not necessarily forgotten, with a fan favourite side paneling of chevrons introduced. Little was kept of the Gold Coast Suns, however.

43125161801_e9d56905f8_b.jpg

42220843285_15844bfe20_b.jpg

Unlike the Suns, the Giants were able to get a little more out of their merger with the Swans, managing to work some small design elements into the new guernsey, including the colour charcoal. They also pushed for and won the battle to have a sky blue away jumper introduced.

43125161291_40719382f7_b.jpg

43125160901_da726cbf18_b.jpg

The two oldest clubs in the game game together in the games greatest time of need to form the Old Scholars, a nod to the original game played between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar. The 'Scholars would play most of their games at the MCG, but three home games and a full preseason in Geelong.

43075348142_f8258ff903_b.jpg

42406624804_eddbacbec3_b.jpg

Carlton Tried desperately to stay on as the true "Northern" club in Melbourne. they offered mergers with Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne, but stopped short of approaching bitter rival, Collingwood. This would be their undoing. Collingwood were able to establish a merger of their own and formed an off field power house. Essendon were able to stay at Tullamarine by merging with the Bulldogs. Melbourne Merged with Geelong and were given the keys to the MCG.

This left St Kilda, and a move to Moorabbin. In a move the club described as hopeful, but most described as petty, the Blues insisted on keeping the name Carlton, and so the curious case of the Carlton Saints began, training at Moorabbin and playing at the Docklands.

43125162641_a34808bb9d_b.jpg

43075345622_2710dd0ec6_b.jpg

The Nullarbour Eagles were born primarily out of the impasse between the WA and SA clubs. The Crows and Power were never going to agree on a merger easily and neither were the Dockers and Eagles. It took the Eagles reaching out to the Crows to break the deadlock. A team based on either side of the Nullarbor hardly seemed likely to work, but the two parties were able to reach an agreement with the AFL which saw them spend half of the season in Perth, and the second Half in Adelaide.

Last edited:
28255796517_b9d23f33af_b.jpg

29257176648_bdcec72e9c_b.jpg

Like the Crows and Eagle the Power and the Dockers were able to find a common ground. They were also able agree to a split season home ground model, in which they would play in Adelaide while the Eagles were in Perth, and visa versa.

Great work!
On a note of plausibility, wouldn't "rich" clubs like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawks, etc be mostly unaffected by a financial downturn? Genuine question.
Yeah good question, my thinking is that any economic downturn that would affect the AFL this badly must also affect the clubs.

And now, the Northern Power House Club....

43075347382_5908c8fff3_b.jpg

42406623934_74f6dab7af_b.jpg

This merger made the most sense geographically and financially. The Tigers and Magpies were, at first, strange bedfellows, considering their less than amicable history. However the pro's of keeping a residency at the MCG, and the immense supportive power of the Collingwood and Tiger Armies, quickly overtook the cons.

New South Wales Giants rolls off the tongue a bit better than New South Wales Swans; though New South Swans could work as a colloquial nickname anyway.

And that's the only criticism I can level at this fine portfolio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now, the Northern Power House Club....

43075347382_5908c8fff3_b.jpg

42406623934_74f6dab7af_b.jpg

This merger made the most sense geographically and financially. The Tigers and Magpies were, at first, strange bedfellows, considering their less than amicable history. However the pro's of keeping a residency at the MCG, and the immense supportive power of the Collingwood and Tiger Armies, quickly overtook the cons.
I know this isn’t really important given that this team is called the Collingwood Tigers, but Richmond are more of an Eastern suburb team, along with the Hawks. Although the Hawks are in the Tassie team so there’s not a lot you can do there. Really enjoying this portfolio though, and that Collingwood Tigers set looks a lot like the Collingwood Warriors old jersey which I really like for some reason.

I know this isn’t really important given that this team is called the Collingwood Tigers, but Richmond are more of an Eastern suburb team, along with the Hawks. Although the Hawks are in the Tassie team so there’s not a lot you can do there. Really enjoying this portfolio though, and that Collingwood Tigers set looks a lot like the Collingwood Warriors old jersey which I really like for some reason.
Who or what we're the warriors?

Who or what we're the warriors?
Collingwood’s team in the NSL. Played out of Victoria Park while they were there. Pretty sure they don’t exist anymore. Carlton also had a team in the NSL at the time that was based out of Princes Park but Carlton’s team lasted longer. If anyone could post a picture since I’m on mobile that would be much appreciated.

$6.49 at Savers?! Was that at the old Mill Park one? I used to go there with my dad when I was younger. Best sports stuff I found was a Northern FL umpire top and a Werribee Tigers polo top (only bought the polo top because I’m a Werribee fan)

$6.49 at Savers?! Was that at the old Mill Park one? I used to go there with my dad when I was younger. Best sports stuff I found was a Northern FL umpire top and a Werribee Tigers polo top (only bought the polo top because I’m a Werribee fan)
Miss that place :( From memory it was from Greensy Savers. That's my new hotspot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back