Stage Hamilton

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamilton was released on Disney+ yesterday.

For anyone unfamiliar, it's the extremely popular Broadway show, they filmed it in 2016 a week before some of the original cast finished up.

I've heard people rave on about it for years, the tickets are extremely hard to get and the soundtrack they released is very popular too yet I've never listened to it so I was pretty much flying blind not knowing what to expect.

It was 2 1/2 hours of brilliance. I've seen musicals before (here and on Broadway) but nothing like this. I understand now why people love it so much.

20 playbills out of 10. Would definitely recommend, even those of you that don't usually watch these types of shows should give it a try.

We watched it Saturday night, missus is currently watching it again and has been listening to the soundtrack non stop since.. and I'll be honest, I had it on while driving to work yesterday.

I thought Aaron Burr and the Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson actors in particular were fantastic.

Might rewatch myself I think this week just to pick up what i missed first time round as i was exhausted Saturday so probably didn't appreciate it fully

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We watched it Saturday night, missus is currently watching it again and has been listening to the soundtrack non stop since.. and I'll be honest, I had it on while driving to work yesterday.

I thought Aaron Burr and the Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson actors in particular were fantastic.

Might rewatch myself I think this week just to pick up what i missed first time round as i was exhausted Saturday so probably didn't appreciate it fully

My kids have been trying to learn all the raps and singing Helpless non-stop. Loved the mic battles between Jefferson and Hamilton.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Lin-Manuel Miranda is an absolute jet to write the lyrics, music and star in it. Triple threat.

My sister has raved about it for years and saw it on Broadway last year.

I have to say after watching it, I get what all the fuss was about from her. Fantastic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
If anyone hasn't seen this and wonders how long a how like this comes together, have a look at this performance by Miranda in 2009, six years before Hamilton debuted on stage:

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
Had tickets for London West End performance in May - which obviously could not attend😢

Watched Disney Plus version Sat night - fabulous show. Lots of layers, lots of great performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I've seen it in Sydney. The guy that plays Hamilton is a dead ringer for Miranda's voice, but is a much better singer. The Aaron Burr I saw on the day was the understudy but I thought he did an excellent job. I really didn't like the Eliza of this version, she didn't portray the right emotions especially at the end of the show. I didn't like Angelica either but my wife did, maybe I'm being too harsh comparing her to the Renee Elise Goldsberry version.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes I've seen it in Sydney. The guy that plays Hamilton is a dead ringer for Miranda's voice, but is a much better singer. The Aaron Burr I saw on the day was the understudy but I thought he did an excellent job. I really didn't like the Eliza of this version, she didn't portray the right emotions especially at the end of the show. I didn't like Angelica either but my wife did, maybe I'm being too harsh comparing her to the Renee Elise Goldsberry version.

High bar to reach.

After falling in love with the soundtrack and Disney Plus recording I am stoked to have bought tickets to see it in Melbourne next year. Cannot wait!

Has anyone seen it in Sydney? And if so thoughts on the cast?

It was my first time seeing Hamilton live but I thought it was great. My girlfriend has seen the production at West End and her assessment is similar to grimlock's, she thought the male cast were spot on very close to what you'd expect from the soundtrack and the productions overseas and the female cast were thereabouts but slightly underwhelming than she thought they'd be.

Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
After falling in love with the soundtrack and Disney Plus recording I am stoked to have bought tickets to see it in Melbourne next year. Cannot wait!

Has anyone seen it in Sydney? And if so thoughts on the cast?

Thought it was fantastic and the cast were great. Saw it with the family and we are all ponying up to see it again in Melbourne next year and tickets are already secured.

Saw this last night in Melbourne.
We copped Hamilton, Aaron Burr and Eliza all being played by understudys but really good still... Really really good, the fella playing Hamilton was actually a dead ringer for Lin Manuel.

You pick up so much more seeing it live than the recorded version, few little alterations and different interactions to the recorded version as well, and the audience was really invested and into the show as well.

The bloke playing Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson was absolutely brilliant as was King George.
Missus is already trying to work out tickets to go again haha

Last edited:
We copped Hamilton, Aaron Burr and Eliza all being played by understudys but really good still... Really really good, the fella playing Hamilton was actually a dead ringer for Lin Manuel.

You pick up so much more seeing it live than the recorded version, few little alterations and different interactions to the recorded version as well, and the audience was really invested and into the show as well.

The bloke playing Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson was absolutely brilliant as was King George.

That's rough for a Saturday night, and so early in it's season...? Surely some sickness involved.

We're heading over in July, because the daughter wanted to see it (again!) instead of have a 16th birthday party.

Fingers crossed we get the #1's in the main parts....

That's rough for a Saturday night, and so early in it's season...? Surely some sickness involved.

We're heading over in July, because the daughter wanted to see it (again!) instead of have a 16th birthday party.

Fingers crossed we get the #1's in the main parts....
To be honest they were all really really good and if I didn't know, I wouldn't have known... If that makes sense.
I thought Sat night we'd be fine but it is what it is I guess, especially in the current climate

To be honest they were all really really good and if I didn't know, I wouldn't have known... If that makes sense.
I thought Sat night we'd be fine but it is what it is I guess, especially in the current climate
Yeh exactly.

Although the daughter will be gutted if we miss out, she’s been doing some portraits of the main actors and wants to autograph hunt the stage door….

Attachments

• F894C62A-31DB-4DB3-81C5-96EB472CEE8C.jpeg
    F894C62A-31DB-4DB3-81C5-96EB472CEE8C.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 13
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams

That was the same show I was at. Was disappointed with the understudies initially when I heard the news (figured it must have been COVID related) but really enjoyed their performances and thought they did a great job. Washington was great.

That was the same show I was at. Was disappointed with the understudies initially when I heard the news (figured it must have been COVID related) but really enjoyed their performances and thought they did a great job. Washington was great.
We didn't realise beforehand until it started and was thinking that isn't the dude I have seen on instagram playing Aaron Burr.. and then when Hamilton came out i swear the crowd almost reacted with disappointment (and i had no idea it was the understudy for Eliza anyway) but they were great... I was so so on Burr but he absolutely crushed Wait for It I thought and that was when I thought... sheesh this bloke can really sing.

Agree on Washington as well, he had a real presence about him also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back