Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Matty had McKernan as the next super talent or have you forgotten?
[/QUOTE
And pre draft said Sam Day was a once in a lifetime talent .
Happened to see him and Gold Coast up there last Saturday and they both were bl----y awful.
I would not be giving away too much to get Rankine either.
Only good thing about game was Port were average and should have won by 20 goals

Retaining Brad Crouch was the real disaster of that trade/draft period. Lynch may have gotten us another second round pick, but at the time we still could have gotten a pick in the low teens for Crouch, which should have been enough capital to beat Port to the punch. Instead we let him run his value down on and off field and got a second round selection for him 2 years later. One of the worst decisions the club made in recent history.

Lynch's market was sufficient for a start of second / end of first pick.

That's exactly the sort of additional capital needed to have moved up into the same territory Port did.

You could be right that Crouch was another.

Lynch's market was sufficient for a start of second / end of first pick.

That's exactly the sort of additional capital needed to have moved up into the same territory Port did.

You could be right that Crouch was another.

The other reason why you trade Lynch was we spent a first round pick on Fogarty in the last draft, and he was blocked from getting gametime by Lynch/Jenkins/Tex. A move that should have been done round 1 2019 took us until Lynch was injured in 2021 (+ a fortnight) to make.

It's a decision that looked suspect at the time and has aged poorly. Though I'm certain there are some silver linings at least to it, as we haven't paid other clubs to get rid of Lynch.

Brad Crouch you can't really make the argument that he's in the way of someone at that point.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
We already had the picks.

Fremantle traded pick 6 (and a future 3rd) for pick 11, 23, 30 and 49.

We had picks 8, 15, 20 and 38... and received pick 13 for Mitch McGovern.

More than enough to grab that Fremantle pick and nab Ben King at least
As much as Hamish loves a tall, there was a Tasmanian small midfielder defender on offer and our pick was more than enough to snaffle him before the competition.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely.

It's impossible to view that draft without the decision to retain Lynch.
You don't think the hamstring crisis derailed our 2018 season when we were still top 4 going into the bye then the injuries finally caught up to us after the bye? Even you would have gone up in arms if we had traded a core player after a very disappointing end to the 2nd half of 2018 when our list was supposedly in the premiership window.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
FFS the story shifts so ******* quick it’s amazing anyone can keep up 🤣🤣🤣
When has this shifted? It has been always been reported Pyke has mentioned he wanted speed in the midfield (which even you would have noticed was a need), hence Hamish picked a fast player in the draft so Gallucci was indirectly a Pyke selection.

You don't think the hamstring crisis derailed our 2018 season when we were still top 4 going into the bye then the injuries finally caught up to us after the bye? Even you would have gone up in arms if we had traded a core player after a very disappointing end to the 2nd half of 2018 when our list was supposedly in the premiership window.

I don't need your fantasies about my views at the time. I'm on the record, and entirely vindicated.

1624359093210.png

Well, you are always a negative poster so that's not saying much.......you must have made heaps betting against us as we enter 2019 as still one of the premiership fancy.

Absolutely. I've already retired off the back of my 'always bet against ABAB's opinion' rule.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the end of the day, I think the AFC recruitment and draft processes are quite archaic compared to the rest of the competition.

It's still built around the scouting done by a limited number of individuals who are probably looking for the same thing.

I know many other clubs are investing heavily in technology and artificial intelligence in this space because they feel scouting reports can sometimes be too biased.

My understanding is they feed all the scouting reports and stats from around the country in the system which is designed to learn and filter out the biases, such as "he comes from a great family" or "the ball sounds great coming off his boot". The system is also programmed and weighted with key kpis that are specific to your club, for example Richmond would value particular things that would be different to Adelaide. This then spits out the true rating of players.

Adelaide are known to be way behind and always late to the party when it comes to these things and yes, way behind Port, who were one of the first with this sort of system in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
At the end of the day, I think the AFC recruitment and draft processes are quite archaic compared to the rest of the competition.

It's still built around the scouting done by a limited number of individuals who are probably looking for the same thing.

I know many other clubs are investing heavily in technology and artificial intelligence in this space because they feel scouting reports can sometimes be too biased.

My understanding is they feed all the scouting reports and stats from around the country in the system which is designed to learn and filter out the biases, such as "he comes from a great family" or "the ball sounds great coming off his boot". The system is also programmed and weighted with key kpis that are specific to your club, for example Richmond would value particular things that would be different to Adelaide. This then spits out the true rating of players.

Adelaide are known to be way behind and always late to the party when it comes to these things and yes, way behind Port, who were one of the first with this sort of system in the AFL.
Dunno how true that is, we were one of the first teams in the league to invest in analytics and bring in dedicated resources in that area.

But what if we genuinely value coming from a great family? Does the rating system give a weighting for that?

Also, whilst I'm here, did you ask if we were running those old school IBM computers, and punch cards to calculate our rating system?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Feel free to disagree, fine by me.

If not for Nigel Smart we would have been at the table a lot earlier with this stuff and have better Data Science partners.
So there is no actual factual evidence or not?

Wouldn't it be better to apply machine learning based on results, rather than person-chosen filters? Use all previous drafts as training data, with actual info about plyers' careers.

dogs, I want you to build that machine and have it on my desk by this time Monday morning. No excuses.

And send me all of the github repositories... for science.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Feel free to disagree, fine by me.

If not for Nigel Smart we would have been at the table a lot earlier with this stuff and have better Data Science partners.
I don't think he's disagreeing with you Bunji, he's asking you to provide a basis for the accusation you're making.

Which is a fair question to ask given its nature

Remove this Banner Ad

Back