Review Hamish 2021

Jones looks fine for where he was drafted. We just matched the market. Bringing him back underdone was the fault of Kenny not our drafting.

Just like how Pedlar looking crap playing out of position in our forward line with a record low amount of inside 50s is also the fault of coaching, not him as a player

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I probably shouldn't post here but...Pedlar was woeful last night. He doesn't look like a top ten draft pick at all. Tom Powell was a similar player type from SA who was the obvious choice at the selection and looks massively better than Pedlar at everything. (i really rate Powell!)

You have too many skinny flankers. They are going to be sore boys.

Ogilvie should have been able to re-set your list in the last five years given his picks but he has wasted the opportunity.

Picking a top ten looking player at pick 2 shouldn't be considered a huge accomplishment!

I don't know how you can keep your job after a prolonged string of failures...but we keep Kenny so who knows how the footy world works!
You are more than welcome to that view.

I'm not going to harshly judge a 2nd game player in a match like that.

Do you remember when everyone called Rozzee the best of the '18 draft? Now he's not even in the same conversation as Walsh, sometimes talent isn't as obvious.

Given Covid , Thilthorpe looks like the right choice out of the top 5 that presented itself.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
8 and 9 in 2009?

Powell is obviously a gun. Maybe Pedlar works out..not writing him off at all but if you want to pick Pedlar over Powell so be it.

Jones looks fine for where he was drafted. We just matched the market. Bringing him back underdone was the fault of Kenny not our drafting.
Pedlar has way more grunt than Powell...Powell played almost every game last year unlike the player coming off a shoulder reco , having a limited pre-season and then a bout of ostoeitis pubis that saw his training severely restricted. Get back to us in a couple of years until then we have no interest in your ramblings.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's also coming off a groin and still doesn't look fully fit.
That comes back to whether it's a good strategy to draft a player with groin problems. We have a history of attracting such players. I wouldn't have been unhappy with Powell tbh. I just want players who are fit and can get on the field. Most supporters don't ask for much.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
That comes back to whether it a good strategy to draft a player with groin problems. We have a history of attracting players with bad groins. I wouldn't have been unhappy with Powell tbh. I just want players who are fitt and can get on the field. Most supporters don't ask for much.
If he'd had a history of groin issues when he was drafted, you might have a point. He didn't though.

Mar 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remind me again what picks Johnno Butcher and Andrew Moore were?

Why stop at the Port comparisons?
Top 10 pick poor to average players 2009-2017:

2009:
- Jack Trengove (2) (Injuries, could've been a very different career)
- Anthony Morabito (4) (Ditto above, could've been a superstar)
- John Butcher (8)
- Andrew Moore (9)

2010:
- Sam Day (3)
- Reece Conca (6)
- Daniel Gorringe (10)
- Harley Bennell* (2) (Could've been a superstar so probably shouldn't be on this list)

2011:
- Jono Patton (1)
- Dom Tyson (3)
- Will Hoskin-Elliott (4)
- Matt Buntine (5)
- Billy Longer (8)
- Adam Tomlinson (9)
- Liam Sumner (10)

2012:
- Jono O'Rourke (2)
- Lachie Plowman (3)
- Jimmy Toumpas (4)
- Sam Mayes (8)

2013:
- Tom Boyd (1)
- Kade Kolodjashnij* (5) (Hampered by concussion)
- Matt Scharenberg* (6) (Injuries)
- James Aish (7)
- Nathan Freeman* (10) (Again, could've been a different story if not for chronic injuries)

2014:
- Paddy McCartin (1)
- Jarrod Pickett (4)
- Caleb Marchbank* (6) (Shouldn't be on this list, good player if not for injuries)
- Paul Ahern (7)
- Peter Wright (8)
- Nakia Cockatoo (10)

2015:
- Josh Schache (2)
- Aaron Francis (6)
- Callum Ah Chee (8)

2016:
- Ben Ainsworth (4)
- Will Setterfield (5)
- Sam Petrevski-Seton (6)
- Will Brodie (9)

2017 (Too early to list IMO but anyways):
- Paddy Dow (3)
- Luke Davies-Uniacke (4) (Could easily be off this list if he gets his body right)
- Lochie O'Brien (10)

So on average there's at 4-5 players in the Top 10 EVERY YEAR that end up being at most average AFL players. That's a 40-50% chance. Food for thought.

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
LOL

I don't recall you ever saying we should draft any of those players you mention prior to their drafts, you're an eggspurt hindsight kinda guy.
lol you think reid does a good job. he got schooled by st kilda over brad crouch. no other club will take reid seriously ever again when it comes to hard ball. not to mention we should of traded him after he won the bnf because we were never going to give him a 4/5 year deal.

also got schooled by port during the super draft year when they managed to overtake us in the draft and land rozee.

Last edited:

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why stop at the Port comparisons?
Top 10 pick poor to average players 2009-2017:

2009:
- Jack Trengove (2) (Injuries, could've been a very different career)
- Anthony Morabito (4) (Ditto above, could've been a superstar)
- John Butcher (8)
- Andrew Moore (9)

2010:
- Sam Day (3)
- Reece Conca (6)
- Daniel Gorringe (10)
- Harley Bennell* (2) (Could've been a superstar so probably shouldn't be on this list)

2011:
- Jono Patton (1)
- Dom Tyson (3)
- Will Hoskin-Elliott (4)
- Matt Buntine (5)
- Billy Longer (8)
- Adam Tomlinson (9)
- Liam Sumner (10)

2012:
- Jono O'Rourke (2)
- Lachie Plowman (3)
- Jimmy Toumpas (4)
- Sam Mayes (8)

2013:
- Tom Boyd (1)
- Kade Kolodjashnij* (5) (Hampered by concussion)
- Matt Scharenberg* (6) (Injuries)
- James Aish (7)
- Nathan Freeman* (10) (Again, could've been a different story if not for chronic injuries)

2014:
- Paddy McCartin (1)
- Jarrod Pickett (4)
- Caleb Marchbank* (6) (Shouldn't be on this list, good player if not for injuries)
- Paul Ahern (7)
- Peter Wright (8)
- Nakia Cockatoo (10)

2015:
- Josh Schache (2)
- Aaron Francis (6)
- Callum Ah Chee (8)

2016:
- Ben Ainsworth (4)
- Will Setterfield (5)
- Sam Petrevski-Seton (6)
- Will Brodie (9)

2017 (Too early to list IMO but anyways):
- Paddy Dow (3)
- Luke Davies-Uniacke (4) (Could easily be off this list if he gets his body right)
- Lochie O'Brien (10)

So on average there's at 4-5 players in the Top 10 EVERY YEAR that end up being at most average AFL players. That's a 40-50% chance. Food for thought.
Common denominators
GC
Silvagni
Injuries
KPF

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Oh look, a poster from another board has an opinion. Better immediately slander their club and derode him, instead of engaging in meaningful conversation.

Never change people.......
He's hanging a second gamer, who's not fully fit and playing out of his preferred position. That kind of commentary isn't worthy of engaging in meaningful conversation.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree that playing underdone players out of position in a side playing badly can make them look crap. You can look good one week and crap the next. (Still I much prefer Powell. I'm not hanging pedlar but you cant objectively give him a tick) Im not completely sold on Rozee and wasn't when we drafted him(wanted Bailey smith but he refused to leave victoria), but he has some talent and has been playing injured. Anyway, past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance with drafting. I think Ogilvie should be sacked on his past performance (and kenny) but my opinion isn't very important. Anyway. Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Oh look, a poster from another board has an opinion. Better immediately slander their club and derode him, instead of engaging in meaningful conversation.

Never change people.......
Maybe if it was informed opinion.

Go post something similar on the Port board and see how you go.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he'd had a history of groin issues when he was drafted, you might have a point. He didn't though.
It's well known Luke had injuries for most of 2020 (4 games for Glenelg) and was coming from a long way back with his fitness. He may be a great player but I would have presumed we would have taken a player who's fitness was not in question. We aren't exactly in a position to be taking risks.

In saying that its too early to tell. Let's hope he gets fully fit and goes onto have a good career. Tbh I have no faith in Ogilvie so if he does become elite it will be an outlier from his recent track record.

Last edited:

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I probably shouldn't post here but...Pedlar was woeful last night. He doesn't look like a top ten draft pick at all. Tom Powell was a similar player type from SA who was the obvious choice at the selection and looks massively better than Pedlar at everything. (i really rate Powell!)

You have too many skinny flankers. They are going to be sore boys.

Ogilvie should have been able to re-set your list in the last five years given his picks but he has wasted the opportunity.

Picking a top ten looking player at pick 2 shouldn't be considered a huge accomplishment!

I don't know how you can keep your job after a prolonged string of failures...but we keep Kenny so who knows how the footy world works!
Mate, it's Pedlar's 2nd game, playing out of position in a side that was woeful

Incredible how people judge a player so.early

Last week against Lions couple of his clearances was pure class

Leta give the guy at least 20 games before we try and make any meaningful assessments

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe if it was informed opinion.

Go post something similar on the Port board and see how you go.
Because they do it we have to as well?
I'd rather be a board that welcomes others for discussion, not berates automatically because their team colours aren't the same as ours.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
well whatever he is. I know he's a defender and hamish is obsessed with them.

Capture.PNG

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Because they do it we have to as well?
I'd rather be a board that welcomes others for discussion, not berates automatically because their team colours aren't the same as ours.
So you think his Luke Pedlar assertions are worthy of discussion at this point...I don't.

Sep 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't feel bad mate, the same rusted on posters gather like seagulls to shoot down crows posters if they don't like what they hear aswel.
It's really quite strange.. they seem to live on bf.

Back