Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

So where did he play in the reserves?

Have to say, as one of my favourite players, Hammer’s time in the AFL looks very over. Tough as nails but sadly seems like that next level player he maybe could have been, was brought undone by recurring injuries.
Played mostly on Tsitis, who was one of the best on the ground for the Eags.
Couldn't keep up with him unfortunately.

It's puzzling how quickly the end seems to have come for Hammer. A year when we supposedly in with a shot at the flag... baffling.

Hope he can turn it around and go out on a decent note. Been a great servant.

It's puzzling how quickly the end seems to have come for Hammer. A year when we supposedly in with a shot at the flag... baffling.

Reminds me of Brad Sewell and Ryan O’Keefe in that regard. From indispensably productive key cogs to finished in the space of 18 months.

I don't think Hammer is as gone as many claim he is. He had a poor first half of the year but that can happen in life. If he can reduce the clangers I think his confidence will return in his defensive game. He has still had good moments this year but he needs to get his consistency back. Important to remember that its not been a year on year problem. He has been one of our most consistent, tough performers over the past 5 years. I think Hammer will lift at the business end when we need him.

I first wrote off Hamish Hartlett in 2019 when his sprinting ability was visibly lost. Harsh? Probably.

That being said, I still think Hamish has one last charge in him - if he wants it and is prepared to go all out for it. Skills don’t just disappear, we all know his are still there. Hopefully there’s enough of his body too.

Some years ago I remember an interview where Hamish said he didn’t want to retire as the guy who had all the potential but never realised it. Then last year there was another interview where he basically accepted he’d never reach lofty heights and was OK with being a good, but not great, player.

Well Hamish, if I had an opportunity to talk to you I’d tell you this - if there is even an ounce of fuel left in your tank, if there is absolutely anything, then now’s the time to use it all and some.

With a bit of luck, our 2021 campaign has two months left to run. You have one last chance to realise your potential and shape the legacy that you leave behind. Now’s the time to leave it all on the line. Win or lose. This is it.

And even if you fail, so what? You go out swinging for the club you’ve served honourably. Not everybody has a fairytale finish, just look at Brad Ebert. That’s life. But you know what? Brad can always look back knowing that he left it all on the field, not one ounce of fuel in the tank.

How everyone remembers you post-career is now squarely in your hands.

Your move chief!

I first wrote off Hamish Hartlett in 2019 when his sprinting ability was visibly lost. Harsh? Probably.

That being said, I still think Hamish has one last charge in him - if he wants it and is prepared to go all out for it. Skills don’t just disappear, we all know his are still there. Hopefully there’s enough of his body too.

Some years ago I remember an interview where Hamish said he didn’t want to retire as the guy who had all the potential but never realised it. Then last year there was another interview where he basically accepted he’d never reach lofty heights and was OK with being a good, but not great, player.

Well Hamish, if I had an opportunity to talk to you I’d tell you this - if there is even an ounce of fuel left in your tank, if there is absolutely anything, then now’s the time to use it all and some.

With a bit of luck, our 2021 campaign has two months left to run. You have one last chance to realise your potential and shape the legacy that you leave behind. Now’s the time to leave it all on the line. Win or lose. This is it.

And even if you fail, so what? You go out swinging for the club you’ve served honourably. Not everybody has a fairytale finish, just look at Brad Ebert. That’s life. But you know what? Brad can always look back knowing that he left it all on the field, not one ounce of fuel in the tank.

Your move chief!
Gets himself 100% he can certainly play a big part in the finals. Suited to tough finals

dont reckon he’ll get a contract and I reckon will play on elsewhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woulda been a better FF than Ryan Burton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamish is no slower than Ollie Wines, and is as tough, if not tougher. IMO he looked lost playing at half back, and played himself out of form. He looks so much better playing in the guts for the Magpies.

He voluntarily removed himself from the midfield group circa 2017 as he believed his body wasn’t up to it.

At worst he should’ve always remained a Shaun Burgoynesque burst option.

Your move chief!
Well said.

I still think he has a final burst in him. Yes he has lost some pace, but that wasn't his issue - there wasn't too many times he got caught out due to this.

His issue was the number of skill errors he was doing - numerous missed targets etc. Skills don't go away due to age, and players have patches throughout their career where they struggle with them.

If he can get that skill level back up, then he's certainly in with a chance to play.

I see him as outside the best 22 now, but only just. We will have injuries to deal with and he becomes an option then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back