Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Last night there were some ******* abysmal performances - DBJ handballing directly to the opposition x4 / Ladhams overall / etc

Hartlett looked so far off the pace it was sad. Blokes a vice captain - do we back him in? (Ken most likely will) I think the game has gone past him and last night I reckon he knew it too.

Has shown glimpses over the years but has always been a case of what could've been. Bring on Jones and Bergman.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's good that people are taking notice but honestly this has been pretty standard for a few years.
The difference is that last night the other defenders and mids weren't able to paper over the cracks.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have loved Hamish Hartlett over the years but he looks disinterested and cooked. Injuries throughout his career have played their part, but was drafted as a gun on baller who ended up having the coaches fashion a role for him in defence in order to mask his fitness shortcomings.
He is a far cry from the guy who won the Showdown Medal as a midfielder in Round 2 of 2014.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have loved Hamish Hartlett over the years but he looks disinterested and cooked. Injuries throughout his career have played their part, but was drafted as a gun on baller who ended up having the coaches fashion a role for him in defence in order to mask his fitness shortcomings.
He is a far cry from the guy who won the Showdown Medal as a midfielder in Round 2 of 2014.
I still do, tough as nails half back across the last few years but not a shadow of the player he could have been.

Had all the tools to be a super star modern day goal kicking midfielder, but never came on. Injury, fitness as you’ve said, but I do question of maybe attitude plays a part.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I still do, tough as nails half back across the last few years but not a shadow of the player he could have been.

Had all the tools to be a super star modern day goal kicking midfielder, but never came on. Injury, fitness as you’ve said, but I do question of maybe attitude plays a part.

He's never struck me as the type to go to the ends of the earth to get the best out of himself the way Travis Boak does. I don't hate him for that, it's ultimately his choice.
I get the sense football isn't everything to him and when Hamish senses his time is up he'll walk away from the game gracefully. Of course, i'm only speculating, but he seems like a guy who is more motivated by being around his teammates every day than he is the accolades and rewards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He had a horror first half, but thought he was solid in the second half.

Clearly underdone in hindsight. Thought he was very solid last season, so not worried yet

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Last night was abysmal, hospital handballs to team mates under pressure all night. Did he actually have a positive impact at any stage ?

Did nothing to justify his selection next week and doesn’t deserve to be VC.

But we all know that Hinkley will keep backing him in.

Your last line read to me Happy Gilmore saying ‘just tap it in’....

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hammer is still a great kick and tough as a cat’s head. Seems well liked by the players and a good club man. But the knee and recurrent hamstring injuries have caught up with him and he doesn’t have much in the way of speed or agility.

Those smaller medium types need to be able to play multiple roles - defender and provide run. I’m not sure Hammer can do this, but needs a few more weeks and his leadership down back is still key. With Jones breathing down his back he needs to lift.

Hate to say it but port missed massively by not moving him on when North etc came knocking.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hammer is still a great kick and tough as a cat’s head. Seems well liked by the players and a good club man. But the knee and recurrent hamstring injuries have caught up with him and he doesn’t have much in the way of speed or agility.

Those smaller medium types need to be able to play multiple roles - defender and provide run. I’m not sure Hammer can do this, but needs a few more weeks and his leadership down back is still key. With Jones breathing down his back he needs to lift.

Hate to say it but port missed massively by not moving him on when North etc came knocking.

Could also argue staying with Port cost Hammer a premiership medal with the tigers.
He hasn't looked great though and a run in the sanfl isn't going to hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back