Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Hammer being a great kick is a bit of a furphy in my eyes. He can thump it long, no doubt, but I don’t see him as an elite kick. Misses short easy options too often to be elite.

At start of year there was talk that he said he wasn’t certain in himself that he would be best 22. I reckon this could be his last year and he knows it.

I would definitely leave him out this weekend for Bergman and bring Jones in as the Sub.

All that said, you wouldn’t meet a better bloke than hammer nor would you meet many others that loves the club as much as he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hammer being a great kick is a bit of a furphy in my eyes. He can thump it long, no doubt, but I don’t see him as an elite kick. Misses short easy options too often to be elite.

At start of year there was talk that he said he wasn’t certain in himself that he would be best 22. I reckon this could be his last year and he knows it.

I would definitely leave him out this weekend for Bergman and bring Jones in as the Sub.

All that said, you wouldn’t meet a better bloke than hammer nor would you meet many others that loves the club as much as he does.

Bang on with your assessment of Harletts kicking, makes far to many mistakes by foot to be an elit kick... (however, Im not sure they are so much a skill error rather than decision making or lazy efforts)

Moving on, if that’s the view from Hartlett I’m very disappointed that the VC role hasn’t been passed to Wines as stand alone VC. It’s going to be a gold pass that gets him selected.

Moving on to the last point you made, I don’t doubt it. He’s probably also one of the toughest blokes we have had play across half back for a long time and let’s not forget he did his ACL because he was putting in extra work on the training track than what he was supposed to.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Needs to stop trying to hit 70m daisy cutter passes that rip the leather off the bladder, and just kick normally.
Will keep his balance and still dob the agate 60m - but with more accuracy.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Are you talking about his propensity to hit a snare drum whilst having tattoos or is there some other boisterous things that Hamish does?

Snare drum.

Tattoos.

AMAs.

Talking footy nights.

KFC adds.

Outspoken family on social media.

Vice Captain.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Hartlett is the worst good kick in the history of the sport. He grubbers, worm burners and floats a lot. Tries to kick the ball too hard.

He had a good year last year even though his PF was ordinary. I'm happy for him to spend time in the SANFL and see how he goes in a month or so.

Can't see us dropping him for a kid the week of probably the most important H&A game we'll play all season. Another poor performance this week though and I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the side the week after.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Bang on with your assessment of Harletts kicking, makes far to many mistakes by foot to be an elit kick... (however, Im not sure they are so much a skill error rather than decision making or lazy efforts)

Moving on, if that’s the view from Hartlett I’m very disappointed that the VC role hasn’t been passed to Wines as stand alone VC. It’s going to be a folded pass that gets him selected.

Moving on to the last point you made, I don’t doubt it. He’s probably also one of the toughest blokes we have had play across half back for a long time and let’s not forget he did his ACL because he was putting in extra work on the training track than what he was supposed to.

On the second point, it’s just a whisper I heard which could very well be wrong. If it’s not though, I definitely agree with you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Port Adelaide’s 2021 leadership group includes captain Tom Jonas, vice-captain Ollie Wines and leaders Hamish Hartlett and Darcy Byrne-Jones."

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I expected Hartlett to be further ahead, maybe I am just too focused on the one-percenters.

I know which one I would play each week.

Hamish Hartlett and Steven Motlop AFL Stats Comparison (footywire.com)

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Port Adelaide’s 2021 leadership group includes captain Tom Jonas, vice-captain Ollie Wines and leaders Hamish Hartlett and Darcy Byrne-Jones."

Well then as vice captain Hamish really needs to step it up

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hartlett is the worst good kick in the history of the sport. He grubbers, worm burners and floats a lot. Tries to kick the ball too hard.

He had a good year last year even though his PF was ordinary. I'm happy for him to spend time in the SANFL and see how he goes in a month or so.
His worst kick is what I call "The Slider", where his body is about 45-60 degrees to the ground at point of contact. You just know the ball is going to contact the outside of his boot in that pose, and do all sorts of weird stuff, including grubbers.

Pickett4GOAT

Cancelled
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That's a laugh, mate. Hammer is a beautiful kick of the football. He didn't have a great game and he does need to lift otherwise he will be playing in the sanfl. He was one of our better players in the second half saturday night. The talk that he shouldn't be VC is utter rubbish.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Despite how many times its been repeated in here he's not the Vice Captain.

Our Vice Captain is Ollie Wines. Hartlett and DBJ are just listed as leaders filling out the leadership group.
From the PAFC website ....
Hamish.JPG

Other recent articles....
Hamish.JPG

Hamish 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hamish looks underdone and possibly still slightly restricted.

Will be interesting to see if he is selected this week, let’s see if he drags his form back or if he is sent to the back benches of selection......

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back