Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamish was excellent last year, i don't think he's completely cooked. definitely, definitely should have come back through the maggies and gotten himself some match fitness before playing AFL. i mean it's not like we are in desperate need of half backs.

what happened to squad mentality? if Trent has to go back and find form and fitness then Hamish should too.

Hammers kicking reminds me of mine... One minute I could lace you out on a lead 47m away... 20secs later I kick scrubber...

He almost never kicks scrubbers and that kick where he completely lost his footing was exceptional for him. I don't think he is the weapon by foot that he is sometimes made out to be but he is rarely kicking scrubbers.

He was good last year. Fully deserved his first 18 spot all season long. He ****ed just one goat in the prelim and that is what people are remembering of his 2020 season.

He almost never kicks scrubbers and that kick where he completely lost his footing was exceptional for him. I don't think he is the weapon by foot that he is sometimes made out to be but he is rarely kicking scrubbers.

He was good last year. Fully deserved his first 18 spot all season long. He f’ed just one goat in the prelim and that is what people are remembering of his 2020 season.
I believe his kicking has always been a little hit and miss... not talking about when he lost his footing... And I haven't said anything about hartlett out.. (haven't been happy with his season so far) but he will come good.

I remember watching Hamish Hartlett play a game against Carlton half way through 2012 when he had 26 touches and kicked 3.1 from 8 x i50 runs and long kicks. I remember thinking, hooray this is the hard running long kicking midfielder we have been looking for. Hamish scored 3 Brownlow votes that night but alas we never really saw that again as coaches used him in defence and his long kicking game was replaced by a short kicking possession game.

Hamish has not lived up to his early potential but I do not think that has been entirely his fault as he has been pigeon holed into a utility type player and has never been able to use his penetrating kicking to advantage. Maybe the recruitment of Jared Polec had an effect on how Hamish was used? On top of that of course is his injury plagued start to his career. Due to persistent hamstring injury and other complaints Hamish managed only 46 games in his first four seasons and that did not help. In fact two weeks after that BOG performance against Carlton he missed six consecutive weeks through injury.

Time is not on Hartlett's side as he will hit 31 this year and probably has a couple of serviceable years left. As Vice Captain he will play out this year but after that who knows?

With a bit of luck Hamish should finish this year with 200 AFL games under the belt, a Vice Captaincy and a couple of finals campaigns which is a solid record but like many of you I am left lamenting what might have been.

Last edited:
I don’t want to be that guy that knows a guy but... A bloke I used to deal with for work apparently was family friends with the Hartletts. I remember him telling me (probably around 2014-2015) that Hartletts body was stuffed. He constantly had little niggling injuries and pretty much always had to be managed. Basically his body couldn’t really withstand the stress of being a professional athlete. With that in mind I can see why he never really fulfilled his potential and if it is true he’s done bloody well to make it this long.

If he still has a leg on him maybe there's some chance at finding a role on the forward flank but it's unlikely.

On current evidence, I would not be shifting any of our current forward flank/pocket options around or out of the team to make way for Hartlett. Probably not even Boyd Woodcock.

At start of year there was talk that he said he wasn’t certain in himself that he would be best 22.

I reckon Hinkley stated explicitly in a week 2/3 press conference that Hartlett has long been a "worrier", prone to fretting over whether he deserves his spot in the team or is the best available player to perform his role.

Hartlett is the worst good kick in the history of the sport.

Lol. Carn. Matt Suckling is turning over in his grave.

Hartlett's performance against Essendon wasn't great, but also wasn't terrible. If people who actually attended the WCE game reckon the broadcast doesn't accurately reflect positioning or structure, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for last week, too. Not opposed to giving him a stint in the Magpies if he's lacking match fitness. This would certainly make sense for a player of Hartlett's age and injury history coming off a dramatically shortened and interrupted preseason.

I'd need to see a couple of absolute stinkers before agreeing that the game has passed him by, though. In the mean time, I reckon even the melt brigade knows that nobody really benefits from handing Bergman or Jones games before they're earned.

He was good last year. Fully deserved his first 18 spot all season long. He f’ed just one goat in the prelim and that is what people are remembering of his 2020 season.
If people remember bad finals games then it is because for too long we haven't had key players in their prime and of veteran status turn up in big games.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I don’t want to be that guy that knows a guy but... A bloke I used to deal with for work apparently was family friends with the Hartletts. I remember him telling me (probably around 2014-2015) that Hartletts body was stuffed. He constantly had little niggling injuries and pretty much always had to be managed. Basically his body couldn’t really withstand the stress of being a professional athlete. With that in mind I can see why he never really fulfilled his potential and if it is true he’s done bloody well to make it this long.
Hamish has battled soreness for years now. I once saw him try out a mattress in store and he moved liked a 90 year old. He has actually got the best out of himself imo. A terrific team man. He's got a few more years before the cliff comes into sight though.

We took Hamish with Pick #4 in 2008. I reckon if we had taken him at pick #42 in place of Mitch Banner our expectations would have been lower and our assessment of his career may differ. I think that pick#4 is our highest ever pick in a AFL draft. Hamish has been a solid contributor over the years and a worthwhile pick up but pick#4 is a cross to bear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back