Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gah

I was seriously defensive of him after our round 3 loss and merely brushed it off as post-loss exaggeration considering most of our defenders had an awful night.
But in the first half of the round 4 win he was evidently dismal, at least had a decent 2nd half with an awesome goal to pair with it.
Forgot about round 5 due to his cork
Average round 6 with plenty of the ball but a few bad turnovers too.
I have to say though, tonight was the last straw. Set the tome for the match after ripping us of a free goal, and is genuinely wasting selection opportunities for other better players. Mckenzie was top 5 in our B and F last year FFS, he's got the same capable boot and agility without the thick-headedness.

He was important for us a few years ago when we needed to put time and development into the younger Clurey, DBJ and Housten, but our defense has enough leadership at this stage, and he isn't a part of it.

We can't afford to have players of rare moments in a team that needs consistency, and I didn't expect to see him under the pump going into this year, but he's cooked and it pains me to say it.

Yeah right at this point it's up to Bonner, McKenzie and Lienert to decide for the very short term.

Hamish needs a rest and recovery from whatever it is, or retirement.

He’s Cooked - get one of those MGs and drive him and his brother around Adelaide Oval pre game on Saturday night!

Caused a free kick reversal that cost us a gimme set shot. Brisbane marched down the other end, kicked a goal of their own, and never looked back.

Hartlett's not responsible for the onslaught that followed, and if that moment is what broke the spirit of our group tonight then we have far bigger problems to worry about, but it was an absolute shocker from a senior player and leader.

Apart from that utensil-up early, he was poor. So were so many of our players tonight. I don't know if he was quite our worst performer, but he was bad enough that I'd send him back to the twos. Whether that's for a stint or forever is really up to him, and the form of whoever he winds up needing to dislodge, injuries withstanding.

Yeah right at this point it's up to Bonner, McKenzie and Lienert to decide for the very short term.

Yep. If Burton pulls up ok and Bonner gets through our SANFL game, I assume it's In: Bonner, Out: Hartlett, but I don't mind the idea of bringing in another "tall" either. I think Aliir has looked a little less comfortable when he's had a clear direct opponent - In: McKenzie, Out: Hartlett could release Aliir to roam and intercept and play third man up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’s just a bit behind the rest of our defence and should be dropped. I could see him turning it around and pulling out a good year but at the very least needs time to build confidence in the reserves.

Yeah it’s not looking good is it. I’d definitely rather Lienert or McKenzie in his current position. I know half forward is often mooted as a potential spot for him and if he could kick regular long goals it would certainly add another string to offensive bow. Part of that role is delivering I50 though and I just feel as if he’d be lacing out defensive interceptors very regularly. So yeah I dunno.

images.jpeg-2.jpg
Perhaps apply for drumming role in cheer squad. The train wreck has been uncomfortable for everyone involved since the preliminary. He has no effective aggression left in him, one of his better traits. But we know that Kern will continue to play him. Unfortunate for him as well....as he should not be remembered for a roll of football bloopers

I guess I can get on my high horse and say “I told you so”, but the time has come for the complete non-selection of Harllett for our AFL side. He’s finished!
Is there a place for him to play in the SANFL? Perhaps! It is also noted that other posters have suggested retirement, with him being appointed the official Drum Major

Yeah it’s not looking good is it. I’d definitely rather Lienert or McKenzie in his current position. I know half forward is often mooted as a potential spot for him and if he could kick regular long goals it would certainly add another string to offensive bow. Part of that role is delivering I50 though and I just feel as if he’d be lacing out defensive interceptors very regularly. So yeah I dunno.

Can you imagine if we put him at half forward and he revels in that position? Would be a massive black mark against this coaching group.

There were multiple contributing factors to last night's loss, but it all started with Hartlett's brain fade. Bad s**t often starts with Hartlett brain fades. He has to go, and has to be told he's now lowest in the pecking order in his position. What he does with that is up to him.

Cant believe people are only just noticing the poor disposal and turnovers now. He's been that player for the better part of a few years, its just that the good moments are decreasing to go along with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back