Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Being out-smarted by Mitch Robinson is not the way anyone wants to end their career.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably the most selfish thing I’ve seen from one of our ‘leaders’ since Kane used to insist on running to dead pockets while waving his arms like a madman, demanding the ball from our glut of youngsters.

Mitch Robinson is a grade-A ****wit, the entire industry knows it, and rather than letting him know on the way past after Dixon has dobbed a crucial early goal, Hammer decides to play pretend hardman.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's difficult to give Hammer the respect of a champion when it feels like he's been ok with never pushing himself like champions do.

He has been a reasonably solid role player for us but when he first started he looked like he was going to be a star of the game.

His overall return has been very disappointing all things considered.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Playthekids76

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hammer has to be injured as we all know he is better than what is currently being produced.

So much respect for Hammer but................

It's difficult to give Hammer the respect of a champion when it feels like he's been ok with never pushing himself like champions do.

Is anyone actually suggesting hes in champion class?

Hes the biggest under achiever in our clubs history

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is what happens when you rush players back into the A's after a long lay off with injury. He was clearly not up to scratch when he returned and should have come back thru the Maggies to gain fitness and form. Now he is clearly out of form and on the verge of being dropped. Poor management from selectors.
There was depth there to cover him and hence no need for this to happen.

Stryke

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just watched the replay. That was a massive flop from Mitch whatever his name is. Umpire got well and truly sucked in. Was nothing in it.

God that guy is a flog cant remember his name.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Just watched the replay. That was a massive flop from Mitch whatever his name is. Umpire got well and truly sucked in. Was nothing in it.

God that guy is a flog cant remember his name.

Doesn't matter. Hamish came from nowhere to do it. He wasn't involved at all originally and Dixon had the footy in the goalsquare.

This one is not on soft umpiring.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not going to sh*t on a player who's been pretty good for us for a long time...

That turnover after Chuck marked at the top of the goal square was sheer stupidity

But his hardness and body on the line can never be questioned, and we may roll with him at the business end of the year for that alone.

But right now, it looks like the end.

I reckon due to other injuries, he gets one last crack in the Showdown. A poor performance next week and it's SANFL for him.
^this. And it pains me to say it. Has been one of my favourites of all time.

Lefti93

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, AEK FC
what is Hamish currently providing us with that Joel Garner couldnt? haven't watched many magpies games this year but surely?

I think you guys might need to hold fire a bit. I'm hearing that he's having a huge pre-season and is absolutely training the house down. A few murmurs that he is going to get some increased midfield time at last. Will be great to see him use his big kick out of the middle.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has been a reasonably solid role player for us but when he first started he looked like he was going to be a star of the game.

His overall return has been very disappointing all things considered.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tracking his career on scale 0 to 10 with 0 being terrible and 10 being Brownlow material, I would personally have to rate Hartlett barely a 5.
Came to us as a promising recruit and we could never get him on the park and when we did he only showed glimpses of this promise. Then there was the season ending knee injury a few years ago.
He also hung the club out to dry when he sniffed around looking for a transfer to North (I think), which got him a long term contract with a hefty wage increase with us. I think the majority of BF posters thought Hamish had screwed the club well and truly over.
Then there was last PF & he weak effort in the last quarter that cost us a goal.
He has always come across as a friendly, affable individual and he always had plenty of happy clappers amongst Port supporters but the time has come for Hamish to retire from the AFL team.

what is Hamish currently providing us with that Joel Garner couldnt? haven't watched many magpies games this year but surely?

Everyone was bagging Garner a couple weeks ago and wanted him delisted. Some form has returned in last 2 games now it seems.

Yeah no to Garner, although I reckon he was pretty decent this week. Lienert or McKenzie though should have been playing a while back. Both are faster than Hammer and more than match Hammer for kicking distance and also have height. Lienert probably more versatile.

I feel he's the epitome of the Hinkley era.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mitch Robinson is a grade-A ****wit, the entire industry knows it, and rather than letting him know on the way past after Dixon has dobbed a crucial early goal, Hammer decides to play pretend hardman.

A quick thinking, smart footballer would have done exactly this, and then done
a Mitch Robinson to Mitch Robinson and drawn a free kick and extra shot on goal when the feiry ginger ******* inevitably retaliated.

A quick thinking, smart footballer would have done exactly this, and then done Mitch Robinson to Mitch Robinson and drawn a free kick and extra shot on goal when the feiry ginger ******* inevitably retaliated.

The fact is, we may blame Hartlett, but we are assuming Charlie would have kicked the goal, big ????? on that one

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is anyone actually suggesting hes in champion class?

Hes the biggest under achiever in our clubs history
I'm certainly not suggesting that

But he's not absolute spud list clogger cancerous type either, which some of the rhetoric in this thread would be more suited to.

He's a B- overall for me. Yes, coulda shoulda woulda been an A+ but there's probably good reason for that too

Let's save the "throw him to the dogs" comments for your Chaplin, Nick Stevens types

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He also hung the club out to dry when he sniffed around looking for a transfer to North (I think), which got him a long term contract with a hefty wage increase with us. I think the majority of BF posters thought Hamish had screwed the club well and truly over.
Yeah see that's not my understanding at all. In fact I was under the impression it was the exact opposite and he was told to go looking by the club. Against his wishes. Got an interview with Essendon I thought

Someone more in the know than me might be able to clarify.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah see that's not my understanding at all. In fact I was under the impression it was the exact opposite and he was told to go looking by the club. Against his wishes. Got an interview with Essendon I thought

You are correct. Club was happy to shop him around but Ken took him for a game of golf and ultimately told him they wanted him to stay and the ball was in his court. He never held the club to ransom, thats emotional silly talk.

The free he gave away pissed me off too but it's time to let it to. You don't lose by 8 goals because of one error.

He was contracted. My understanding is he wanted to test the market and we told him to go and have a look at whats available. He didnt get the money offers he thought he would so he stayed.

Back