Opinion Hamish Hartlett - What now?

Remove this Banner Ad

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yea, 150+ game players "finding form in the ressies" is a complete myth these days - the gap between SANFL and AFL is far too great.
Nobody is above finding fitness and form in the reserves structure , the fact that this isnt applied equally , irrespective of reputation is the problem. Despite he lower standard it is still the current approach fr developing youth and running players back into game fitness and form ie Ladhams , spp

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nobody is above finding fitness and form in the reserves structure , the fact that this isnt applied equally , irrespective of reputation is the problem. Despite he lower standard it is still the current approach fr developing youth and running players back into game fitness and form ie Ladhams , spp

Regularly missing targets by foot has nothing to do with fitness and is nothing new to his game anyway.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Regularly missing targets by foot has nothing to do with fitness and is nothing new to his game anyway.
Very much to do with form and confidence , which is my point. Also fitness and return from injury are critically linked to skills, hence why mistakes happen later in games when fatigue sets in.
Point being the League side is not where you find form, especially when we have the luxury of good depth.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hartlett faux tough guy act reversed the free kick. He went up stupidly to Robinson and knocked him over. Pure stupidity.

I have been a big fam of hammer. I have loved what he's brought to the club in terms of passion, commitment and hardness. My point now is that, he is wanting for pace and he seems to be looking to try and continue to add something to the team by way of overdoing it in terms of physicality. Anyway, i hope i am wrong, but i think hes very much on the edge of the side right now.
Agreed.

You see it with all players and teams as they near the end. It is the best predictor of imminent retirement/fall from grace IMO.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Very much to do with form and confidence , which is my point. Also fitness and return from injury are critically linked to skills, hence why mistakes happen later in games when fatigue sets in.
Point being the League side is not where you find form, especially when we have the luxury of good depth.

The skill errors under no pressure are nothing new.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yea, 150+ game players "finding form in the ressies" is a complete myth these days - the gap between SANFL and AFL is far too great.
Uhm ... Its not about the quality of the opposition. Its about the lack of pressure in the 2's. You can go back to a lower-paced game and concentrate on the things the coaches have asked you to work on without the pressure you would be under in the main side.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hartlett faux tough guy act reversed the free kick. He went up stupidly to Robinson and knocked him over. Pure stupidity.

I have been a big fam of hammer. I have loved what he's brought to the club in terms of passion, commitment and hardness. My point now is that, he is wanting for pace and he seems to be looking to try and continue to add something to the team by way of overdoing it in terms of physicality. Anyway, i hope i am wrong, but i think hes very much on the edge of the side right now.
100% correct. He is trying to impact games and earn his spot by being the tough enforcer. It is all faux-tough-guy crap. Without any quality play from him, he is just becoming a team liability. I still think he has something to offer, but he needs to concentrate on the quality his own game and disposals, and forget this tough-guy bull-crap! ATM, he is struggling to even make a decent kick!

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Uhm ... Its not about the quality of the opposition. Its about the lack of pressure in the 2's. You can go back to a lower-paced game and concentrate on the things the coaches have asked you to work on without the pressure you would be under in the main side.

Isn't that kind of the same thing though? The pressure is less because the quality of the opposition is less.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Isn't that kind of the same thing though? The pressure is less because the quality of the opposition is less.
Absolutely. And it is not just game pressure that is less, it is the mental pressure to win. A player can play in the Magpies knowing that his Power coach doesnt give a stuff if the they win or lose. They give him a number of performance indicators to work on, which he can do in a non-pressure situation. This is all about himself, gaining confidence and touch. Its all mental.

I thought he was one of our best against the Saints and was building into the season after a slow start. Clearly with Jones, Bergman, Frederick, etc, snapping at his heels, he's going to face an uphill battle to play on next year. But I still feel like he's got a role to play this year.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not arguing that pressure is less , however gaining form in this lower level is still valid, although there are still no guarantees that it will translate back up to a higher pressure environment.
Tiger Woods will hit a 1000 balls in practice to get his swing or putt right , but under the pressures of a tournament in which the putt may be worth a 1million dollars he still may miss.
However he is lessening the risk of stuffing up. Going back to the ressies is a chance to practice what you need to get right which is what finding form is partly about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought he was one of our best against the Saints and was building into the season after a slow start. Clearly with Jones, Bergman, Frederick, etc, snapping at his heels, he's going to face an uphill battle to play on next year. But I still feel like he's got a role to play this year.
Agree. Dimma Hardwick circa '04 is his role in my opinion

All you critics in this thread.

How many free kicks have you given away in the AFL?

Yeah... that's what I thought.

Are you speaking from experience?

I bet you played for Sturt.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was an absolute howler of a free kick. b*tch Robinson flopped like a toddler. Blame the umpire. That kind of thing happens 50 times a game without penalty.

As a senior player and vice captain, he needed to be smarter. Robinson is either first or second with Selwood as the biggest flopper in the game. It was just dumb to even try.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
He did play well against Saints. He tackles well and is a strong body. If we are to win a premiership we want him up and about. I'd back him in to get back into form but he may need to go back and get his confidence up again if he can't turn it around. Pretty reliable player for a fair while now

ash_78

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Unley Rangers
I love Hammer. He bleeds (literally and quite often) for the club and for his teammates. He's also had to work hard on his body to play this long with his tendency for soft tissue injuries. I thought his energy and hardness against the Saints was outstanding.

But Saturday v the Lions was bad. That free kick reversal in the 1st qtr was the sliding door moment of the game I thought. It was an epic flop by that ADHD-riddled campaigner that should never have been paid, and I love the fact that Hammer is a bit of an enforcer, but I agree with Shaucob_Burjan that you've gotta know your opponent better than that. So I'd put it on his shoulders. And I reckon he'd acknowledge it was a massive utensil-up.

I'd play him against the AF Corporation but he's only 1 game away from the magoos for me.

Back