Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
(Disclaimer - I've never posted on this board, if there is already a thread on these two then feel free to merge)

OK. How unfreakingbelievably, indescribably terrible are these two?

I just watched the replay of our game against Richmond, an exciting game with a close finish.

They were absolutely appalling. Listening to these two clowns in the last couple of minutes they had no idea how to build up how tense and exciting the finish was.

Their use of clichés is embarrassing, their "banter" is pathetic, they constantly get players names wrong and they are just really, really, really s**t.

Are these two seriously the best Seven can muster up for their Saturday games?

I honestly prefer listening to Dwayne Russell commentate over these two, that's how bad they are.

As bad as the Saturday night team are, the Saturday arvo team are a whole lot worse. The 2 most clueless idiotic commentators around. It's embarrassing just how many poor commentators the AFL has, it goes to show how amateurish the sport's coverage still is compared to other codes.

This how I rate the current TV commentators/special comments guys:

Excellent:

Dennis Commetti
Bruce McAvaney
Leigh Matthews
Sandy Roberts
Anthony Hudson
Jason Dunstall

Good:

Eddie Maguire (as an actual commentator he is quite good - I understand why people don't like him though)
Tom Harley
Gerard Healy
Cameron Ling
Brad Johnson

Bad:

BT
Luke Darcy
Richo
Dermott Brereton
Liam Pickering

Awful:

Dwayne Russell
Tony Shaw

So Unfreakingbelievably Bad Just **** Off and Don't Ever Commentate A Single Game Again For The Rest of Eternity

Hamish McLahlan
Basil Zempilas

Excellent:

Dennis Commetti
Bruce McAvaney
Leigh Matthews
Sandy Roberts
Anthony Hudson
Jason Dunstall

Good:

Eddie Maguire (as an actual commentator he is quite good - I understand why people don't like him though)
Tom Harley
Gerard Healy
Cameron Ling
Brad Johnson

Bad:

BT
Luke Darcy
Richo
Dermott Brereton
Liam Pickering

Awful:

Dwayne Russell
Tony Shaw

So Unfreakingbelievably Bad Just **** Off and Don't Ever Commentate A Single Game Again For The Rest of Eternity

Hamish McLahlan
Basil Zempilas

I'd have Huddo and Sandy in a category of their own, with Dunstall, Lethal, Eddie and maybe Dennis and Bruce just below. The rest I agree with, especially the bottom rung.

For the last couple of years whenever I've wanted to watch the Saturday arvo game on seven I chuck on a radio stream from the afl website and sync it up with the TV. Only takes a minute and saves a hell of a lot of frustration.

Excellent:

Dennis Commetti
Bruce McAvaney
Leigh Matthews
Sandy Roberts
Anthony Hudson
Jason Dunstall

Good:

Tom Harley
Gerard Healy
Cameron Ling
Brad Johnson

Bad:

BT
Luke Darcy
Richo
Dermott Brereton
Liam Pickering

Awful:

Dwayne Russell
Tony Shaw

Hamish McLahlan
Basil Zempilas
Dennis and Bruce can still be too jokey and off topic with crap banter which is annoying. Bruce's over the top embarrassing reactions to rioli, jetta and co is cringe worthy as well. For that I wouldn't have them in the best of the best anymore.

Hamer is woeful.

Sandy should've been calling, not Hamer.

His GameDay is such a wasted opportunity for 7 to have a footy good show on a Sunday

Hutchy was hanging s**t on Basil a few weeks ago on SEN.
Hutchy saw him at some "multi-function room" joint, and assumed he was MC-ing a corporate event. Hutchy stuck around and was surprised to find that Zempelis was, in fact, the headline act at the function, and talked about himself -- his rise to fame, etc -- for a solid 15 minutes. :p

Last edited:
Hutchy was hanging s**t on Basil a few weeks ago on SEN.
Hutchy saw him at some "multi-function room" joint, and assumed he (Basil) was MC-ing a corporate event. Hutchy stuck around and was surprised to find that Zempelis was, in fact, the headline act at the function, and talked about himself -- his rise to fame, etc -- for a solid 15 minutes. :p

Oh well, he's got 14 minutes on Hutchy then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basil is horrendous. To make matters worse 6PR sacked their best commentator Graham 'Smokey' Dawson and replaced him with that moron.

The guy is everywhere now. Was bearable when he just did one Saturday game every week on seven, now he seems to be on a lot of shows, commentating more than one game a week and has infiltrated several radio stations.

I don't hate the guy, seems like a good enough bloke, but he really shouldn't be anywhere near a commentary box.

Seriously, try having a drinking game with the Arvo team where you take a shot for every mistake or lame joke. Just make sure you have an ambulance booked for the quarter time break.

Excellent:

Dennis Commetti
Bruce McAvaney
Leigh Matthews
Sandy Roberts
Anthony Hudson
Jason Dunstall

Good:

Tom Harley
Gerard Healy
Cameron Ling
Brad Johnson

Bad:

BT
Luke Darcy
Richo
Dermott Brereton
Liam Pickering

Awful:

Dwayne Russell
Tony Shaw

Hamish McLahlan
Basil Zempilas
Am I alone in thinking Richo is quite good? I think Darcy and BT bring him down to their level though.

Zempilas' rating was set when he made that bizarre Dean Cox joke last year.

Hamish McLachlan has the personality of a guard rail. I hope one of the Auskick kids pwns him soon.
Ugh, his Auskick interviews are terrible. Scares the children. Tim Watson is really good at it for some reason, just seems to have a great way with the kids.

Excellent:

Dennis Commetti
Bruce McAvaney
Leigh Matthews
Sandy Roberts
Anthony Hudson
Jason Dunstall

Good:

Tom Harley
Gerard Healy
Cameron Ling
Brad Johnson

Bad:

BT
Luke Darcy
Richo
Dermott Brereton
Liam Pickering

Awful:

Dwayne Russell
Tony Shaw

Hamish McLahlan
Basil Zempilas

Harley belongs in the awful pile. The only thing that saves him is the fact we don't have to see that smug smirk on his face as he speaks.

(Disclaimer - I've never posted on this board, if there is already a thread on these two then feel free to merge)

OK. How unfreakingbelievably, indescribably terrible are these two?

I just watched the replay of our game against Richmond, an exciting game with a close finish.

They were absolutely appalling. Listening to these two clowns in the last couple of minutes they had no idea how to build up how tense and exciting the finish was.

Their use of clichés is embarrassing, their "banter" is pathetic, they constantly get players names wrong and they are just really, really, really s**t.

Are these two seriously the best Seven can muster up for their Saturday games?

I honestly prefer listening to Dwayne Russell commentate over these two, that's how bad they are.

Just watched the replay then. They commentated the final minute like it was the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back