Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the Tippett sanctions, we desperately needed him to get the last few years right. Lever was a great pick but since, a ham sandwich? When burton and spp were available, he chose a lightly framed Victorian, a skinny local with zero work ethic and a genuine half back flanker who no one had on their radar.

Is Hamish just another in the long line of afc off field personnel who we have drastically overrated?

His record stands up for itself. He is human, he can't every single pick right

Drafting with hindsight is such an easy thing to do as well....

He is very good at what he does. For us to be contending for a flag (well, top 2 at least) after our sanctions, he has to have drafted well. You can't paint it any other way

Given the Tippett sanctions, we desperately needed him to get the last few years right. Lever was a great pick but since, a ham sandwich? When burton and spp were available, he chose a lightly framed Victorian, a skinny local with zero work ethic and a genuine half back flanker who no one had on their radar.

Is Hamish just another in the long line of afc off field personnel who we have drastically overrated?

Let Hamish take punts on picks 30 upwards because if he gets them wrong it doesn't matter but 1 st rounders are what makes your team into a premiership contender

I reckon he would be a massive punter on the Gigi's

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im generally happy. Very happy with his abilty to find a diamond in the rough but he seems to have applied that same strategy at times with our high draft picks. In saying that, the only one that hasnt come good (yet) in is Doodee. Lever worked. Milera and Galucci seem to be the type he was asked to scout.

He gos alright.

His record stands up for itself. He is human, he can't every single pick right

Drafting with hindsight is such an easy thing to do as well....

He is very good at what he does. For us to be contending for a flag (well, top 2 at least) after our sanctions, he has to have drafted well. You can't paint it any other way

This year and next are the years if we can pull off a flag I will retract all I said about him and congratulate him

If not everything stands as we wouldn't have been good enough and there won't be any excuses

Because if we can't grab anything ATM we are in trouble once Betts Tex Sloane get to 30 and the cycle will tell you, you can't stay up the top forever when you have teams like Carlton stkilda Melbourne rebuilding with early round picks

This year and next are the years if we can pull off a flag I will retract all I said about him and congratulate him

If not everything stands as we wouldn't have been good enough and there won't be any excuses

Because if we can't grab anything ATM we are in trouble once Betts Tex Sloane get to 30 and the cycle will tell you, you can't stay up the top forever when you have teams like Carlton stkilda Melbourne rebuilding with early round picks

There's only so much a recruiter can do to win a flag though. His job is to draft the best talent. He's done a pretty decent job of that

It then lands on the development of those players, the coaches to implement a game style that works and the players to give a s**t to win the flag from there

If we don't win a flag with this group, then it won't just be Hamish's fault. There'll be a lot of people to throw the blame at

And yet he still wouldn't get a game at the AFC this year.

Have you not seen how conservative we are with our selection policy?

If he was playing like he did Thursday night and in the amateur league he would look like he was walking around witches hats

You can't miss his talent in the big league imagine how good he would have been in the amateurs

There's only so much a recruiter can do to win a flag though. His job is to draft the best talent. He's done a pretty decent job of that

It then lands on the development of those players, the coaches to implement a game style that works and the players to give a s**t to win the flag from there

If we don't win a flag with this group, then it won't just be Hamish's fault. There'll be a lot of people to throw the blame at

I won't be blaming hammish alone don't worry

There won't be anyone that escapes criticism if we don't capitalise on this opportunity

No excuses there too easy to make

I went over his record in the last 4 years in another thread.
He has been very good but he has reached for a couple of players. Mainly Doedee.
Personally i wouldve chosen spp over galluci, burton over doedee and daniel over wigg.
Hes gone at around 60/70% success rate.
Getting Lever and Milera in successive years has given us 2 very good players who will undoubtedly play 200 + games.
Our rookie picks have been unbelievably good.
The question marks hang over Wigg, Doedee and Gallucci. If Wigg was playing for anybody else he wouldve played afl by now. Same with Doedee.
Our selections on thursdays are as much to blame as hamishs speculative picks.
Considering what hes had to work with i think hes done considerably well.

One thing that has started to concern me with our drafting strategy over the past few years: - we seem to focus very much on peripheral players -

Milera is certainly at this stage a wing/HF, who may not play through the centre square,
Lever is playing as a 3rd tall/intercept marker, will he be able to play as a genuine CHB in the future,
Doedee is a medium defender/intercept marker,
Wigg is a HB flanker who they're playing in the middle, I like that they're adding a more contested element to his game, but is it coming at the cost of why they drafted him in the first place,
Gallucci seems more suited to an outside wing/HF/HB role,
McGovern is a mobile 3rd tall type.

I think we should really have put some more emphasis on central players players who you could build a midfield around rather than some of the above players who are more complementary at this stage, or struggling to be selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has got two wrong IMO.

Doedee over Burton and Gallucci over SPP.

It is early on both, even moreso with Gallucci. But SPP was exactly what our midfield needs and we passed. Who knows what his future is (is he the next Daniel Rich) but in terms if this season he was always touted as being AFL ready. We needed that player now.

In Burton we already have a few medium height guys who play back or forward ie Lever, McGovern, Otten, Lynch, Keath, Kelly etc.

I can see why we went Doedee when you see how small our depth chart is in smaller defenders. But Burton was the better player then and is the better player now. Is also a local lad so no go home factor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One thing that has started to concern me with our drafting strategy over the past few years: - we seem to focus very much on peripheral players -

Milera is certainly at this stage a wing/HF, who may not play through the centre square,
Lever is playing as a 3rd tall/intercept marker, will he be able to play as a genuine CHB in the future,
Doedee is a medium defender/intercept marker,
Wigg is a HB flanker who they're playing in the middle, I like that they're adding a more contested element to his game, but is it coming at the cost of why they drafted him in the first place,
Gallucci seems more suited to an outside wing/HF/HB role,
McGovern is a mobile 3rd tall type.

I think we should really have put some more emphasis on central players players who you could build a midfield around rather than some of the above players who are more complementary at this stage, or struggling to be selected.
Milera will be a centre square midfielder. Look at his body. Very strong core and big wingspan.

Still very young and learning the midfield game. I expect we will see him at more centre bounces next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Really too early to make any call on the last 2 years kids. Doedee was projected as a guy who would take some time given limited footy background.

Wigg certainly a concern and the fact that he hasnt been given a run suggests a potential bust. Outside that his hit rate has been exceptional really given the picks he's had to work with.

So now we are writing off ...

Doedee 20 yrs old - before he has played a game
Wigg 20 yrs old - before he has played a game
Milera 19 years old - played 20 games
Gallucci 19 years old - played 1 game

... and on top of that, Lever and McGovern are just peripheral players?

The same team that chose Dangerfield at pick 10, Sloane when no-one else rated him, Greenwood from the clouds, Atkins from pick 81, Laird in the Rookie draft ... etc etc

It's getting a bit dark in here lately, how about a bit of perspective?

So now we are writing off ...

Doedee 20 yrs old - before he has played a game
Wigg 20 yrs old - before he has played a game
Milera 19 years old - played 20 games
Gallucci 19 years old - played 1 game

... and on top of that, Lever and McGovern are just peripheral players?

The same team that chose Dangerfield at pick 10, Sloane when no-one else rated him, Greenwood from the clouds, Atkins from pick 81, Laird in the Rookie draft ... etc etc

It's getting a bit dark in here lately, how about a bit of perspective?

Reeks of people whining about Ebert over Dangerfield 10 years ago.

Most teams would love to take him off our hands. He's entirely responsible for Greenwood as well who is tracking towards elite right now.

If you look at it that way

Would everyone want Freo's recruiting manager for getting sandilands as a rookie or west coast grabbing Brownlow Medalist Priddis as a rookie,Matthew Boyd Bulldogs rookie every team has a scattering of late picks that have turned out to be great players no different to ourselves

The greatest pick of all time 90 something for James Hird that would be a rookie pick now, arguably the best ever Essendon player

Dane Swan pick 58 another great of the club

These two in particular because they were the best of the best

The list goes on

Have a look through teams list and you will be surprised how you would rate a lot of late picks on every teams list

i think most of us thought doedee over burton would be a mistake, some of us didnt rate gallucci all that highly either, but its too early.
I didn't know anything about any of them until they were drafted. I had read some pre-draft stuff but really have not seen junior footy live for about 15 years.

From what I have seen since in the AFL/SANFL:
- Doedee looks a beauty to me, class and courage
- Gallucci has evasion and pace and skill, along with a fair amount of grunt
- Poholke seems to be hard-nut, like what he brings
- Wigg is the one I'm still trying to get my head around. His hands look elite - so clean. His intent is first class, no fear there. His kicking is below expectations ... but that might be because everyone was raving about his left foot as a weapon.

I think his drafting record is outstanding in all parts of the draft, particularly compared to other drafters in recent years. Our success record with later picks under his lead would be better than almost every other club in the league.

There are some question marks over the Doedee and Gallucci selections at this stage, but in general I think he has done a superb job with limited resources.

Back