Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Very quiet over this way, bugger all ins and bugger all outs.
My ladder prediction for 2016 warrnambool, Koroit, port fairy, north, Camperdown, terang, south, Portland, Cobden and Hamilton

Very quiet over this way, bugger all ins and bugger all outs.
My ladder prediction for 2016 warrnambool, Koroit, port fairy, north, Camperdown, terang, south, Portland, Cobden and Hamilton

Well I had the Tigers as my big improvers for this season - but have to say I have been underwhelmed by their recruiting.

Well I had the Tigers as my big improvers for this season - but have to say I have been underwhelmed by their recruiting.
I'm not sure why they arnt doing a lot of recruiting, only the one key forward from Adelaide who will replace Jay moody. Portland should still go ok, they have a lot of good young players who all played senior footy last year so you would expect them to be bigger and better this year.
With warrnambool and Koroit both losing players it should make for a more even competition this season, which in my opinion will be better.

Just read in the local paper that Portland has lost Jake Edwards, going to uni in Melbourne. That's going to hurt.

Going on what some of the better clubs have recruited or retained I actually unfortunately think the gap between top and bottom sides will be greater this year.

Going on what some of the better clubs have recruited or retained I actually unfortunately think the gap between top and bottom sides will be greater this year.
I reckon the bottom 3 will struggle but play close games amongst themselves, the top 7 sides should all be pretty competitive.

Anyone want to have a pick for the maskell medal?
Taggert (north) and Nicholson (port fairy) should vote well and stand out in their sides. Tempy will once again vote high to I think, most likely be koroits most important midfielder this year.
I think wbool has an strong midfield with no real superstars.
Don't know enough about Camperdown blokes.

I know this doesn't get printed in the papers, can you guys give us the scores of each practice match. I'm interested in knowing how the Hampden teams goes against sides from other comps. I heard today that Souths beat Souths by about 5 goals. That is South W'bool defeating South Gambier. Thanks in advance!

I know this doesn't get printed in the papers, can you guys give us the scores of each practice match. I'm interested in knowing how the Hampden teams goes against sides from other comps. I heard today that Souths beat Souths by about 5 goals. That is South W'bool defeating South Gambier. Thanks in advance!
Where was that played beachboy3? I know Portland played East Gambier yesterday at Heathmere, haven't heard any scores yet. I think this is a great idea putting up practice match scores.

Where was that played beachboy3? I know Portland played East Gambier yesterday at Heathmere, haven't heard any scores yet. I think this is a great idea putting up practice match scores.
That match was played at Mt Gambier, and the temperature got to 27 degrees, which is very warm for footy. I know W'bool got to play 2 GFL sides at Geelong, but don't know the dates. Also would be good if posting the results, please let us know how the new recruits performed. I did hear South's new ruckman in Manny Sandow is going to be handy.

Koroit played Camperdown Saturday and won comfortably I'm told no other info unfortunately. I'm interested in seeing Hamilton or Portland practice match does anyone have an insight to any matches they may be playing?

Koroit played Camperdown Saturday and won comfortably I'm told no other info unfortunately. I'm interested in seeing Hamilton or Portland practice match does anyone have an insight to any matches they may be playing?

That is correct - Watched the first half. Koriot had about 8 seniors players running around, Camperdown had 3 at a maximum. No new recruits played for the Pies and virtually was their reserves side with some U/18.5s playing so I wouldnt look to much into the result
J Haulser looks in good knick and fit
Darmody (recruit) played at CHB and looks like he has been in a good paddock over the Xmas period!
Watson from Hamilton looks a good pick up for the Saints.

Cobden played Colac 2 weeks ago and got beaten fairly convincingly - lacking key defensive posts going into the season. Ash Rohan has done the knee aswell which won't help in the tall brigade

Last edited:
Portland played East Gambier in a prac match. New recruit Levi Konitzka kicked 3 goals including one with his first kick from the boundary line 45 out, played two qrts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portland played East Gambier in a prac match. New recruit Levi Konitzka kicked 3 goals including one with his first kick from the boundary line 45 out, played two qrts.
What was the result of that game? I'd expect Portland to win that one. I do acknowledge clubs don't take practice matches 2 serious, as there aim is to get everyone match conditioned, experiment players in diff positions and give young ones more exposure. Also few players don't play due to cricket finals.

What was the result of that game? I'd expect Portland to win that one. I do acknowledge clubs don't take practice matches 2 serious, as there aim is to get everyone match conditioned, experiment players in diff positions and give young ones more exposure. Also few players don't play due to cricket finals.
There's been a few reports in the paper and also the club newsletter about the practice game against East (Portlands old arch rival from the WB days), but no mention of scores, just player performances. I see young Mitch Bunworth a regular senior player last two seasons has applied for a clearance to a WDFL club. Another handy young player gone.

That is correct - Watched the first half. Koriot had about 8 seniors players running around, Camperdown had 3 at a maximum. No new recruits played for the Pies and virtually was their reserves side with some U/18.5s playing so I wouldnt look to much into the result
J Haulser looks in good knick and fit
Darmody (recruit) played at CHB and looks like he has been in a good paddock over the Xmas period!
Watson from Hamilton looks a good pick up for the Saints.

Cobden played Colac 2 weeks ago and got beaten fairly convincingly - lacking key defensive posts going into the season. Ash Rohan has done the knee aswell which won't help in the tall brigade
Spoke with a fella from Cobden earlier this week after reading this and they might surprise a few. Rohan should be right by Rd 1 and might be down back plus I would imagine Hutt would float around back and could be a few more irons in the fire.
Camperdown would have concerns regarding their backbine after it was already very suspect and now no Jack Williams and Baker not any younger.

Any reports from yesterday's boags cup? Any players, teams impress? Any disappointments?

Any reports from yesterday's boags cup? Any players, teams impress? Any disappointments?
I noticed that every team that played it's 2nd game, they get beaten pretty well due to leg tiredness, as they take on the sides that are fresh. When Souths got flogged, they played mainly their juniors. If some other sides did too, or had a few not playing due to cricket or resting, it shows the results don't mean alot. I think Cobden could do better this year then everyone's predicting. This Boag's Cup idea sounds OK, but there does not seem to be much support from the public, and coaches/clubs. Yesterday could of been the last one.

Hearing Alcoa in Portland is in a lot of trouble, how is this going to affect Portland in the Hamden league if it goes under

Hearing Alcoa in Portland is in a lot of trouble, how is this going to affect Portland in the Hamden league if it goes under
It will effect the footy club and the local economy even though that's another matter itself. It's a type-pattern of the Warrnambool area if looses it's university. Student numbers have gone from 1400 to 900 in recent years. If that ever happen, this is going to cause a bigger shortfull of players, therefore we could lose a club or two in the district. The reserves grade in both comps would also come under threat. I personally can't see the university close down, but I hope the Alcoa in Portland can survive, for the sake of the Portland community as a whole. It's pretty tough these days in Regional Australia.

I don't think it's a matter of if the smelter closes but when it closes. When it does it will have a massive effect on Portland as a whole. Not only the smelter workers but all he contractors, then the flow on effect to all the shops, small businesses etc. As far as the footy clubs are concerned they will lose big time. We are not in a position like your Port Fairys and Koroits where they get players from Warrnambool. We are too far away. Interesting times ahead.

How are teams situated with their "points" I see Port Fairy are making full use of their points donation and by the look of Camperdowns recruiting they may have to rest some players some weeks as not sure how they will fit them all in??? .

Ok abit quiet on here lately. We should be getting a little excited with the first proper round of Hampden league footy getting underway this Saturday.
With HampdenMAD absent how about we all put our tips in and the margins. See who's the best hampden league tipster. I'll kick it off...

Port Fairy by 10
Camperdown by 30
South by 20
Warrnambool by 10
Koroit by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back