Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome back HampdenMAD! U were certainly a big miss during the year, and we haven't hardly had any footy news on this page for the last few months. I been trying to keep things going by giving my predictions, and commenting on some teams and players. But I'm no expert! How you get your footy news is extraordinary, and 95 percent of the time plus, it's spot on. I'm sure everyone will look forward to all your future posts. Cheers, mate!

Good work BeachBoy3! We will get it all rolling along again for sure. I just ask the right people and listen to the right conversations for news, i don't like to speculate heaps unless i know reasonably well that its close to truth. Cheers

Howdy Footy Folks! Been a while between posts and good to see there is still some action on here! Been reading up on the Hampden League through the Warrny Standard and chatting to some of the followers i know well. Seems as though it has been a pretty even year with North Warrnambool taking a commanding stand against the competition but dropping a couple of games late suggesting a long season may be catching up.
Im officially back in the area again after completing my contract in Ballarat and back here to take up my old position in the building industry! Just in time to watch my Blues go about yet another finals comp, albeit a little less as dominant by looks of it. Koroit look like they may be the surprise packet regaining some talent at the right end of the season. My feeling is tho i think North Warrnambool have the most scoring power and best defensive pack in it, this could be their year in all grades of football, credit to them all seems to be falling into place.

Couple of RUMOURS to kick off the return to the posting:

Rory Taggert has been approached by Warrnambool to be playing coach in 2017 for a very handy sum of money also. North Warrny have also offered the top job to him for 2017.

Paul Dirago at TM has been very busy on the phones to a number of former team mates and is likely to lure a couple for 2017. TM have been happy with his progress with a young side and they could easily rise quickly with a couple of quality players added.

Koroit have thrown a lot of interest towards Jason Rowan to be playing coach in 2017, Jason has apparently said he is happy to sit and talk after finals has finished as his contract at Wbool finishes this season.

South Warrny have likely added Werribee listed player James Hussey for next season, along with former talented South player Matthew McVilly who is resuming his football career after a spell.

Thats about it for now footy folk! Great to be home!
You being a warrnambool man, have you heard anything about a warrnambool player coaching merrivale next year???

You being a warrnambool man, have you heard anything about a warrnambool player coaching merrivale next year???

Haven't yet heard this one! My most likey choices would be one of Jason Rowan, Travis Graham or Josh Walters. But purely guessing! Have you heard who it may be Hampden77?

Haven't yet heard this one! My most likey choices would be one of Jason Rowan, Travis Graham or Josh Walters. But purely guessing! Have you heard who it may be Hampden77?
Didn't get a name, but the source said it was pretty much a done deal.

Very unusual to see a side standing around the huddle of the team they play the following week. North Warrnambool have almost overstepped a gentlemens agreement by having a large senior presence hovering around Koroits huddle yesterday. Thoughts on this? I don't like it.

Koroit took to my Blues yesterday with an innacurate boot and still won easily. A scrappy defensive based game. Koroits back line easily accounted for Warrnambools forwards. But Koroits forwards were a little selfish at times and cost them a big score. Goodall was sublime and looms as a big part of Koroits flag chances.
Warrnambool looked unorganised and will as much as I hate to say it will struggle to find their way any further with Port Fairy or Camperdown coming much stronger.

North Warrnambool have definitively warmed even further as flag favourite after watching yesterday. A much more even side with pace and strength in all parts. I'm looking forward to watching next weeks game against Koroit which is likely to be at Port Fairy.

Port Fairy take on Camperdown today at the Friendlies. Both teams in great form and should be a great game. Port Fairy could have up to 4 Team of the Year players running around in my book, and rely heavily on them to play well.

Very unusual to see a side standing around the huddle of the team they play the following week. North Warrnambool have almost overstepped a gentlemens agreement by having a large senior presence hovering around Koroits huddle yesterday. Thoughts on this? I don't like it.

Koroit took to my Blues yesterday with an innacurate boot and still won easily. A scrappy defensive based game. Koroits back line easily accounted for Warrnambools forwards. But Koroits forwards were a little selfish at times and cost them a big score. Goodall was sublime and looms as a big part of Koroits flag chances.
Warrnambool looked unorganised and will as much as I hate to say it will struggle to find their way any further with Port Fairy or Camperdown coming much stronger.

North Warrnambool have definitively warmed even further as flag favourite after watching yesterday. A much more even side with pace and strength in all parts. I'm looking forward to watching next weeks game against Koroit which is likely to be at Port Fairy.

Port Fairy take on Camperdown today at the Friendlies. Both teams in great form and should be a great game. Port Fairy could have up to 4 Team of the Year players running around in my book, and rely heavily on them to play well.
Theres always going to be at least one person listening so if there's a large group of one person it shouldn't make to much of a difference. I bet dowie would do the same.

What North W'bool did was unusual and maybe it doesn't look good. I don't think it's wrong to do so, but it's no big deal. It would of been irresponsible if at least couple North people go in for a listen. U still got to do your homework on your opponents. HappenMAD, I got a question for u! If u watched some Ballarat FL games, what's the standard like comparing to ours?

What North W'bool did was unusual and maybe it doesn't look good. I don't think it's wrong to do so, but it's no big deal. It would of been irresponsible if at least couple North people go in for a listen. U still got to do your homework on your opponents. HappenMAD, I got a question for u! If u watched some Ballarat FL games, what's the standard like comparing to ours?

It’d be interesting to see a complete comparison of the Ballarat League and Hampden, with players drafted, successful AFL players, interleague results etc. I’ve seen mainly BFL games but I’ve always thought Hampden and Wimmera both seem to get more players drafted, why? Even this year James Gow may win the Morrish medal as B&F in the TAC cup, Willem Drew will get drafted 1st round, McCluggage top 5, but Ballarat zip!! Rebels only had maybe 4 0f 46 players that are Ballarat junior products, 2 top age and 2 bottom age, the rest are school boarders that have played some BFL games. Of the top age only Bilney has played all year. My thoughts are Hampden seem to play and have more success developing juniors. Look at how many u/18s have played in premierships with Koroit over the last 2-years. For mine, even as an outsider, I’d say Hampden have the runs on the board as the better performed league over Ballarat.

It’d be interesting to see a complete comparison of the Ballarat League and Hampden, with players drafted, successful AFL players, interleague results etc. I’ve seen mainly BFL games but I’ve always thought Hampden and Wimmera both seem to get more players drafted, why? Even this year James Gow may win the Morrish medal as B&F in the TAC cup, Willem Drew will get drafted 1st round, McCluggage top 5, but Ballarat zip!! Rebels only had maybe 4 0f 46 players that are Ballarat junior products, 2 top age and 2 bottom age, the rest are school boarders that have played some BFL games. Of the top age only Bilney has played all year. My thoughts are Hampden seem to play and have more success developing juniors. Look at how many u/18s have played in premierships with Koroit over the last 2-years. For mine, even as an outsider, I’d say Hampden have the runs on the board as the better performed league over Ballarat.
Your right in that area! Years ago couple guys told me Ballarat is a higher standard. But looking at the VCFL rankings, Ballarat r 3/4 spots higher then us. Ballarat no doubt would have more depth then us. I would love to see an interleague clash us taking on Ballarat. I think we can take it up to them, providing every elite player makes themselves available.

At this stage Koroit and North W'bool are equal favourites for the flag. With the granny played at Reid and if the weather is fine, it will suit the Eagles due to their leg speed playing on a big ground. Also it depends if the Saints get the TAC guys back and there r 3 or 4 of them. Looks like the Warrnambool boys will start their preseason cricket earlier this year, or catch up on their gardening. In the Netball, i think Port Fairy are the new favourites. Camperdown are a bit down on form at present.

Just been informed by a Blues clubman that Liam Hoy will likely return to the Warrnambool Blues to be an assistant coach alongside John Cook should he remain. Liam has been with Redan for last two seasons after crossing from North Ballarat Roosters. He only played one game last season and has just played a handful this season starting the season late due to travel. Redan lost in the semi finals to Lake Wendouree. Will be great to have him back in our side as he as a great leader and super player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there but heard McIntyre didn't shake the warrnambool players hands after the game. Did you see this happen hampdenmad?

Tips for today and tomorrow;

Eagles to take the points without Taggert or Corbett late changes by about 15 points. If there's some heavy rain today then Koroit could take the points. Port Fairy oval likely to be very damp anyway.

Port Fairy to get the job done v Warrnambool in heavy going at Koroit on Sunday. My Blues are a bit lost under Cook and could be cooked. Look for Port Fairys big 4 to stand up and guide them into the prelim!

Good luck to all!!

Eagles with an impressive victory over here at the Gardens Oval! Saints threw the kitchen sink at them and the Eagles threw it all back to win by 13 points and lock them into their first ever Hampden League GF! Great stuff by a very well balanced side! Taggert was good, Bidmade solid, Josh Parkinson solid, but I was ultra impressed by their young gun in Sam James, tough young man! Many many years of great footy ahead for him. One more to go for the Eagles to make history and as for the Saints they await the winner of Port Fairy v Warrnambool. Cracking finals series already!

Nirranda with a huge win in the WDFNL GF upsetting undefeated Old Collegians FNC! Huge effort!

Port Fairy vs Koroit should be a cracker Prelim. Would be great for HFNL if Port F play NWE in GF. Great story whichever side won.

Port Fairy dismantled Warrnambool Blues 13.4 82 to 1.11 17. That's as an embarrassing effort as I have seen from the Blues in any recent finals series. The Nicholson led Seagulls are now one game away from a GF v the flag favs North Warrnambool Eagles. Whether it be them or Koroit that get there I'm sure it will be a great GF to watch. I would enjoy seeing Port Fairy and North Warrnambool, high scoring free flowing sides! The Eagles have had an incredible season with it all coming together and landing their 3 footy sides in the GF! Could be a party for the ages in Bushfield in two weeks time!

Port Fairy dismantled Warrnambool Blues 13.4 82 to 1.11 17. That's as an embarrassing effort as I have seen from the Blues in any recent finals series. The Nicholson led Seagulls are now one game away from a GF v the flag favs North Warrnambool Eagles. Whether it be them or Koroit that get there I'm sure it will be a great GF to watch. I would enjoy seeing Port Fairy and North Warrnambool, high scoring free flowing sides! The Eagles have had an incredible season with it all coming together and landing their 3 footy sides in the GF! Could be a party for the ages in Bushfield in two weeks time!

Correct weight about Sundays game. W'bool have, along with Koroit, set the standard for HFNL over the last decade or so but W'bools last two finals tell a very different story. The coaches quarter time address was bizarre. No instruction or coaching whatsoever.
Koroit have been crippled by injuries and just can't get their best 18 onto the park and will stumble into Prelim. Port and North both hungry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back