Strategy Handball

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok there are 2 problems with our handball which I think are completely killing our game at the moment. Firstly, we handball too much under pressure without actually gaining much space out of it, and often turn the ball over from a contest. We often don't handball to moving targets but stationary ones in even worse positions than the original player and with nowhere to go. We often also go for one handball too many in the chain. Secondly, our ability to actually hit targets with our handball is terrible, and we make way too many big clangers with our handball, which really shouldn't be happening when handballs should be a pretty low risk skill. So what are everyone's thoughts? Am I way off the mark?

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok there are 2 problems with our handball which I think are completely killing our game at the moment. Firstly, we handball too much under pressure without actually gaining much space out of it, and often turn the ball over from a contest. We often don't handball to moving targets but stationary ones in even worse positions than the original player and with nowhere to go. We often also go for one handball too many in the chain. Secondly, our ability to actually hit targets with our handball is terrible, and we make way too many big clangers with our handball, which really shouldn't be happening when handballs should be a pretty low risk skill. So what are everyone's thoughts? Am I way off the mark?
over handball can also come from panic = inexpericence.. ideally guys like the below should be in the team and are more composed.
Goldsack
Williams
Varcoe
Swan
Elliott
Cloke

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Handballing is not our problem, lack of time for an effective disposal is our problem. Whenever we gain position we just fumble it forward, we need to gain about half a second/a second for each posession to give the ball carrier time to dispose of it effectively. The players surrounding the ball carrier need to ensure they shephard when they're in a position to do so, as a lot of our players just drop off and don't provide any second effort at all which leaves the ball carrier exposed a lot of the time.

At times we looked at our best when we were handballing to release the outside runners. Earlier in the game (when we actually got our hands on it) we were kicking long and high and people like McGovern were just picking it off. I think we genuinely tried to employ more of a quicker, running handball type game yesterday to beat the Eagles 'web'. They usually feast on opponents when they kick inaccurately into the forward line and let's be honest, our footskills are poor.

I think we overdid it though in the end.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
over handball can also come from panic = inexpericence.. ideally guys like the below should be in the team and are more composed.
Goldsack
Williams
Varcoe
Swan
Elliott
Cloke

Goldsack composed?

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
At times we looked at our best when we were handballing to release the outside runners. Earlier in the game (when we actually got our hands on it) we were kicking long and high and people like McGovern were just picking it off. I think we genuinely tried to employ more of a quicker, running handball type game yesterday to beat the Eagles 'web'. They usually feast on opponents when they kick inaccurately into the forward line and let's be honest, our footskills are poor.

I think we overdid it though in the end.
Sums it up pretty well.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I can't quite recall the stats but the team has about a 70% winning record the last 3 years when he plays.

Did we win because he played or did he play in a win?

Anyways Goldsack is a fumbly player who is prone to mistakes ball in hand, not someone I'd call composed.

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did we win because he played or did he play in a win?

Anyways Goldsack is a fumbly player who is prone to mistakes ball in hand, not someone I'd call composed.
look he does fumble but he reads the play well and is critical 3rd man up and plugs holes. which does assist in the overall teams composure.

Back