Play Nice Hannah Mouncey, transgender AFLW hopeful

Remove this Banner Ad

Im so happy the AFL hasn't bowed to the PC crowd allowing Hannah to play.
It does simplify things, and don't think having her would be a plus. On the minus side, I don't think she would have been picked anyway, so they AFL looks the bad guy to no benefit.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

She came second in the VFL goal scoring surely someone would have taken her
Vescio won, and only played a handful of games. A whole bunch of top players played limited games. I think most of her goals were early, then she got worked out a bit.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

cliffs: Do I think male and female tennis players should be paid the same? Absolutely I do.

It's not about equal pay, it's about unequal pay being justified by different number of sets.

Without being able to point at a particular dollar figure to say, this is how much the men earned, so they deserve more money, people who hate the idea of people women's sport need another argument to fall back on. Hence, but they only play best of 3.

It is raised as an argument only in tennis majors by those triggered by the idea of a sportswoman earning as much as a man, but who do not have the traditional arguments to fall back on.
If men played best-of-3 sets and women played best-of-5 sets and women always* played 2nd at night I have no doubt people would scream sexism, and rightly so. [*thankfully this has changed in recent years, and men do not always play last at night]

You talk about equal pay at the majors, this is a relatively new phenomenon spurred on by political correctness rather than what is right. You mention the ratings in Japan. Maybe that had something to do with a Japanese woman winning and becoming number one. I'm sure ratings in Switzerland have been good the past 15 years. Why do you think that is?

Men's tennis generates more advertising dollars, more sponsorship dollars, higher ratings, bigger crowds, etc etc, but even if you ignore all that, the only thing that you can compare is length of time on court. There is simply zero justification for men to play longer than women. Are women too weak? Are the women not fit enough? Do women need to be treated softly because they are precious delicate little flowers? Given that the top women spend minimal time on court, they have an opportunity the top men do not. They are able to supplement their singles income with doubles and mixed doubles, something no man at the top of his game could even contemplate.

Your ridiculous comment about men being triggered is a juvenile argument. You are arguing for inequality.

Anyway, we have a Tennis forum and I would encourage you to put your thoughts down here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/equal-prizemoney.1157017/

Last edited:
It's not about equal pay, it's about unequal pay being justified by different number of sets.

First, it's only a different number in some tournaments. Men play a lot of 3 setters these days, never once heard they should take a pay cut because they are doing less work.

Second, they don't get equal pay, across the year, women play for less money.

They get equal pay in the majors, where pay is set by the tournament, not the tours.

When men's events earn more money than the women's events, this is the justification for more money for the men. But the tennis majors don't work like that. Most of the income is for the event, not a particular genders matches. The Australian open sells itself as an event.
Note that the ratings in Japan peaked at 20 mill. Do you think this is the men's or the women's?

Without being able to point at a particular dollar figure to say, this is how much the men earned, so they deserve more money, people who hate the idea of people women's sport need another argument to fall back on. Hence, but they only play best of 3.

Length of event is not related to prize money in any sport, ever.

It is raised as an argument only in tennis majors by those triggered by the idea of a sportswoman earning as much as a man, but who do not have the traditional arguments to fall back on.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

I’ve just read the last few pages. Jatz, you are just about my favourite Eagles supporting poster.

I enjoy tennis, I suspect unlike the warriors who proclaim that it should be equal sets for equal pay, considering they didn’t even know that men’s and women’s tennis have different governing bodies. Plenty of men’s games are dominated by fast serves, so that a long rally is quite rare. Women’s tennis tends to have longer rallies. Perhaps they should be paid by how many times the ball goes over the net? Should they get paid more for their 3 set matches than the men do for their (shorter) three set matches in the minor competitions?
Within men’s tennis, Federer’s points tend to be quicker compared to Nadal because Nadal is a baseline player. Fed’s matches are 20 minutes shorter than Nadal’s on average. Perhaps Fed is overpaid?

Of course my questions are just as (but no more) stupid as the equal sets for equal pay argument.

As for AFLW, it’s in its third year of competition. It’s already improved in quality in under three years, and in a few more years I can see people paying to fill stadiums to watch it. It’s a different product to AFL, but the passion and endeavour are every bit as exciting to this watcher.

The other issue that has been suggested is that transgender players should only play as the gender they were born as. I wanted to point out that not all people are born as one clear gender. There is a sizeable number of babies born of indeterminate gender. Nothing is as black and white as we would wish.

The other issue that has been suggested is that transgender players should only play as the gender they were born as. I wanted to point out that not all people are born as one clear gender. There is a sizeable number of babies born of indeterminate gender. Nothing is as black and white as we would wish.
Which gender do you think Mouncey most closely resembles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which equates to a total of 546 people in the entirety of Australia (24.6M), or 6 live births each year. I.e. virtually nobody.
Or another way of putting it: Your 4 times more likely to get hit by lightning.

Nah. Chances of being struck by lightning in a year is 1 in 280,000 according to a random search I found.

And alongside those stats are the children born with genitalia that are different but identifiably one gender rather than the other.
I’m pretty sure the numbers of many rare cancers are “virtually nobody” too, but those people who suffer them may not like being discounted quite as readily.

I enjoy tennis, I suspect unlike the warriors who proclaim that it should be equal sets for equal pay, considering they didn’t even know that men’s and women’s tennis have different governing bodies.

The equal pay and best of 3 v best of 5 debate is relevant to grand slams only.

Grand slams for both sexes are run by the ITF.

ATP & WTA are separate bodies that run the tours throughout the year, they do not run the grand slams where the equal pay debate is centred.

And alongside those stats are the children born with genitalia that are different but identifiably one gender rather than the other.
I’m pretty sure the numbers of many rare cancers are “virtually nobody” too, but those people who suffer them may not like being discounted quite as readily.
Rare cancers are 1 in 2000. I.e. 23 times more common than your birth statistics.
They also have high mortality and morbidity; unlike a far rarer and entirely non-lifethreatening sexual characteristic. Hence the discrepancy.

Rare cancers are 1 in 2000. I.e. 23 times more common than your birth statistics.
They also have high mortality and morbidity; unlike a far rarer and entirely non-lifethreatening sexual characteristic. Hence the discrepancy.

You are apparently fond of pulling numbers from an orifice.
“A rare cancer is defined as a type of cancer that has less than 6 incidences per year per 100,000 population.”
https://canceraustralia.gov.au/about-us/news/rare-and-less-common-cancers

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Anyway the point I was making was that not everyone fits into a dichotomy at birth. Or later. Which makes black and white rules for men and women difficult. [/FONT]

You are apparently fond of pulling numbers from an orifice.
“A rare cancer is defined as a type of cancer that has less than 6 incidences per year per 100,000 population.”
https://canceraustralia.gov.au/about-us/news/rare-and-less-common-cancers

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Anyway the point I was making was that not everyone fits into a dichotomy at birth. Or later. Which makes black and white rules for men and women difficult. [/FONT]
The EU does most of the research on rare cancers and they define as 5 in 10,000.
I thought your point was that a significant number of people are born intersex, which is not true.

You type: I wanted to point out that not all people are born as one clear gender. There is a sizeable number of babies born of indeterminate gender.

Then you type: About one in 45,000 children are born without a clearly identifiable sex.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/intersex/default.htm

Sex does not equal gender. Sex is biological while gender is a social construct. Sorry if this seems pedantic, but it's a pretty important distinction to make.

Sex does not equal gender. Sex is biological while gender is a social construct. Sorry if this seems pedantic, but it's a pretty important distinction to make.

There are only two genders though so sex and genders do match each other.

This gender madness is like God. You can choose to believe in it if you want but it doesn't mean others have to recognise it or give it any credence.

Gender atheists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back