Toast Happy 10 Years Since the Drought was Broken!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I was 22, watching at home, hopeful but not confident, had flown over the week before to see the prelim live, so thought we were a massive chance, but was worried about judd.

Had been supporting the side since i was 3, lot of my younger years just didnt consider us winning a flag as something that would happen.

Most tense ive been for a full game ever, 96 i was just happy to watch and subsequent 2006 2012 2014 felt less tense because the drought was broken

Could not sleep or relax all day, we started slow but fought hard to lead at quarter time and half time came and we seemed in control.

Then that whole second half was just so nerve racking. When ablett kicked across goal i thought we were gone

Barry halls goal was crucial such a captains moment, buchanan with the crumb, davis was lurking too, but we just fought that lead and stopped so many eagles chances, kennelly rushing a behind was crucial, then just amongst the most tension ive ever felt, even through the tv it felt so tense seeing swans fans there, leo flies for the mark and holy heck he did it.

Didnt hear the siren etc, just they start celebrating, i was lost for words it didnt seem real, i couldnt speak, or cheer or do anythign its just what. We won we won a bloody flag, i know i was only 22 but i remember thinking * i could die now happy.

Then everyone congratulates me like i played and i jump around and shed a few tears and celebrate

Then i remember re watching, drinking like i did in those days and then ordering too much merchandise later on drunk

So magical and it made the summer magical

Watching back its a dour old game, but never felt like it during the game, went in a blur during it

It was tiring though i remember being so tired after that weekend

2012 is super special, because i was there , we beat the hawks and i think its the superior game, but nothing can replace that feeling of 2005

I still get chills seeing or hearing roosy say HERE IT IS,

Felt like he was talking to you individually

I was at the game could barely hear the siren at the end.
Thought we could win but wasn't looking good in the last quarter with Judd cutting us up.
However, we had a better spread of performances that day and it helped.

I was 10. My Brother is a West Coast fan. He was 20. We were home from uni and neither one of us wanted to be in the same room with each other. Was an insane day...

I still get chills when I hear "Leo barry you star"

Even when typing it...

Arguably the most iconic moment in our clubs history is the old "Leo Barry, you star!". It gives me shivers just typing it 2bh.

I've been supporting the club since I could start actively doing so. I was a young boy back in the early/mid 90's and was probably too young (10yo) to realise what 1996 meant. However, 2005 was a different story. I had learnt about our history and our players. I knew what they represented and I could look back on those games I used to watch with Kels, Plugger, Cressa, Dunks and think about what could have been and where the club had dragged itself after being on the very verge of no longer being a going concern. Because of this, that feeling after 2005 was relief (with a bit of shock). It was the "Holy s**t... We've done it. We've actually done it" moment that I'll hopefully never ever forget.

2005 means so much to me with some of my favourite players of all time included that weren't there in 2012. Namely Kirky, Kennelly & Mickey O (I loved BBBBazza too it must be said). Kirky (with Kels) is in my top 2 favourites of all time. Goodesy, Kennelly, Jude and MickeyO all easily are in my top 10 fav's of all time...

The lead up to 2005 GF was also better in 2005 IMO. Nick Davis Nick Davis Nick Davis anyone!!??! The fans of other clubs were all on the "second favourite team" bandwagon and noone was critical of us, our recruiting etc. It was a far more level headed media that took us through that 2005-06 phase...

Also the rivalry we have with Hawthorn isn't a patch on the WCE rivalry IMO. I suppose it was well before I was lurking around BF but I developed a more respectful relationship with WCE supporters at the time. I respected their side and the level of competition we put each other too - We were the perfect match up. 4 points and 1 point, one each, is a successful GF rivalry. Not the trouncing we got in 2014 after an exciting game in 2012. It doesn't add to the "rivalry" like those close contests did IMO. Not to mention the aftermath of us being successful again in 2012 - The media ruined what should have been a joyful few years post 2012. At least in 2005/6 both teams (us/WCE) got the plaudits we both equally deserved... I don't get that feeling after 2012. It was like we were cheats all of a sudden.

So while 2012 was elation and a sense of "yeah this club belongs at the top". It was only built up over 7 years. 2005 had 72 years of emotion behind it. The players and the aftermath both made 2005 more enjoyable from my point of view.

Greatest hangover ever 4 days later. The best night ever at the Rising Sun and backed it up the next day there as well with the replay, oh and went back Monday as well, with the great Barry Round. Tuesday in to the Alfred, I thought I was cactus.
We should have lost this one and won the next year. Might be time for another watch.

Started with the loss in the Qualifying Final in Week 1 where I met up with a few Swans supporters I knew at Bells Hotel in the heartland to watch the game. After the umpires handed the game to the Eagles and us a meeting with Geelong the week after I was fuming with how things never go our way, until I saw the young son of one of my mates in tears at the result - I told him in my way of cheering him up "we'll play them again and next time we'll have a Premiership Cup to enjoy".

Of course we had the Nick Davis show the week after and then the Final Quarter from heaven in the Prelim but that lead to the Friday before the Grand Final. I hardly slept all week as in my opinion this was our first and only chance to break the drought with that team. So up at 5am on the Friday filling in time before the Parade, can still remember the players all looking focused not showing any signs of nerves or being too relaxed, the Red and White filled the end of the Parade route, but as me and a few friends made our way back towards Fed Square the Eagles fans were quick with "why did you bother coming down?" and "you don't belong at our event" - nice people, told them as a Melbournian to enjoy my city but to * off.

Finished Friday off with a few beers and a meal before getting word that my brother was in hospital, so rushed off to see if he was ok and when it was just an overnight stay I headed home to watch some Fox Footy before finally getting 8 hours of much needed sleep.

Come the day of the game, caught the train in early with my father as he managed to snag a ticket in the AFL Members area and met up with most of the posters of that time from RWO for a quick get together before heading into the ground. Took my seat behind the goal in the Ponsford Stand and buckled in for 4 quarters of football that would change how I viewed the game.

Of course we got the jump at half time and I remember being asked did I think we had it won? No way, not the Swans and so it proved as the Eagles came back into the match and took a 10 point lead early in the last quarter. All seemed lost. But Barry Hall decided that he would put the team on his back with a goal from 60m and then the winning goal 8 minutes from the end. Thus began the pin balling from end to end and the failed attempts to guess when the siren would go with the countdown clock (the Staker 50 against Goodes that gave him a shot on goal was when most had already thought it was about to blow). So we survived two attacks which had the final rushed behind the set up the moment.

When Cox had the ball I saw Leo off to the side and though when the ball was coming in that he would at least get a punch in, but to come away with the mark - wow. But when I saw Tadhg jumping on his back I thought what in the hell is he doing, let him take his kick!!!! Then it dawned on me

IT'S HAPPENED, THE WAIT IS OVER

But now what? Hugging and High 5'ing every Swans fan near me but the relief was overwhelming. Tried to call my Dad but couldn't get though, so had to call my Mum who was driving home from work and had to pull over on the side of the road in the final minutes. That call had my eyes starting to water. Watched the Presentation and the lap before heading to Punt Road and meeting up with friends and more Hugs and High 5's.

Then I get this tap on my shoulder and turn around to see its my Dad - the man who is the reason I'm a Swans fan, a man who fought to keep the club in Melbourne, a man who I respect more than anyone else in this world and a man who had been in hospital on and off for the past 3 years and was at this moment wearing the biggest smile I've ever seen. To had nearly lost him the year before to now be witnessing our biggest dream come true saw me lose it and breakdown crying.

You can have your Leo Barry moment, I have my fathers face that night.

From there it was off to South Melbourne where I drank and eat until 3am got a few hour sleep and then heading into Albert Park for the Player Presentation.

So many great moments that day...most of them well documented. But one of the strangest things to stick in my mind was Tadhg taking the ball off half back and taking a run down the Great Southern stand wing.

7 mins to go. 1 pt lead. Eagles deep in the fwd 50. Ball spills loose. Tadhg under pressure toes it forward under pressure. Gathers it just outside 50. Handpasses to Willo. Willo to Fossie.

And then something wonderful happens. Tadhg had kept running! Fossie finds him with a flick pass. Then Tadhg is away! Afterburners on. Takes a bounce...

It felt like the whole stadium lept to its feet to cheer him on. It followed a long period of sustained Eagles fwd 50 presure. The release it was to see him escape and move it forward. Amazing.

Tv just never captured the roar as it felt at the ground. It was huge.

It was a moment when I dared to dream we could actually pull this Premiership off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still believe Amon Buchanan's 4th quarter was Norm Smith worthy.

He seemed to be in everything...including his own Davis-style goal off Jason Ball's ruck work.

That desperate punch to spoil the eagles kick in in the final few minutes was amazing.

He seemed to be in everything...including his own Davis-style goal off Jason Ball's ruck work.

That desperate punch to spoil the eagles kick in in the final few minutes was amazing.

Also laid a great tackle on Nicoski I think when he was alone in space on the wing. Ducked his head but still laid it perfectly without giving away the free.

An amazing series we played 4 finals and three of thrm were decided by a single kick. Not sure if that's ever happened before?

I was ready to smash my TV when that happened, I can't imagine what you guys were thinking!
Oh I was thinking I wonder what his address is and where did I put my gun. Stuff like that.

It was a clanger for the ages wasn't it?

Sort of summed up that season for me though, it was a decent side that played above itself and were just good at footy. Not the skills so much, they could just play. Did dumb stuff like that and then Barry takes a mark of a lifetime. Ridiculous swings.

22 hard pricks in that side. No passengers. No show ponies.

That's what I will always remember of 2005 and of that side. Nothing pretty, just hard pricks playing tough stuff and getting it done regardless.

Oh I was thinking I wonder what his address is and where did I put my gun. Stuff like that.

It was a clanger for the ages wasn't it?

Sort of summed up that season for me though, it was a decent side that played above itself and were just good at footy. Not the skills so much, they could just play. Did dumb stuff like that and then Barry takes a mark of a lifetime. Ridiculous swings.

22 hard pricks in that side. No passengers. No show ponies.

That's what I will always remember of 2005 and of that side. Nothing pretty, just hard pricks playing tough stuff and getting it done regardless.

21 and one lucky bloke

Well according to lethal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back