Happy 50th Birthday ODI Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

The first ever ODI was played in Melbourne on the 5th January, 1971, after the Melbourne Test was called off due to three days of rain.

The match was 40 x 8 ball overs per side, with Australia winning quite comfortably in the end by 5 wickets with more than 5 overs to spare.

John Edrich hit the top score of the match, 82 - so he hit the first ODI half-century (as well as the first boundary). He sadly recently passed away.

The first wicket to fall was Sir Geoffrey Boycott - hooking believe it or not - to Alan "Froggy" Thomson (who later went on to become a VFL umpire).

Off the top of my head, I think all the Australian players are still with us and 4 (John Edrich, Colin Cowdrey, John Hampshire & Basil D'Oliveira) English players have passed.

First ODI - YouTube

First ODI - Scorecard

Crazy for me to think that I've been around for two thirds of ODI's existence.

As a kid, ODIs seemed so normal.

In fact they are what got me into the game, watching ODIs, then Tests, then I started playing for the local team, it all went from there.

Cool threads, cheers sherb

Last edited:
Crazy for me to think that I've been around for two third of ODI's existence.

As a kid, ODIs seemed so normal.

In fact they are what got me into the game, watching ODIs, then Tests, then I started playing for local team, it all went from there.

Cool threads, cheers sherb
Mate, I've been around for all of ODI's existence!!

I actually remember the first one (I probably watched it on TV, that I can't recall).

Thanks to Ian Chappell & Bill Lawrence standing up to the Australian Cricket Board, ......................... err the Don.

The ACB wanted the teams to play for no extra pay.

Bill Lawry.

And the Board got its way; the abandoned test was rescheduled. Thus, 1970-71 remains the only official 7-test series.

Thanks guys, I will be remembered as the Bradman of ODI cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back