Toast Happy 80th Birthday to Ken Beck

Remove this Banner Ad

1971 Premiership player. Fond memories of watching him play.

Yes, don't forget that Les Hawken was injured in the first few minutes of the Grand Final, and Ken had to replace him in defence. Ken pretty much played the whole game.
It did help that Don Scott played a crazy game, but Ken did his share.

He was big and awkward, terrible kick, but always did his job.

Much loved by supporters.

I don't know how to say this, so please take it as the way I mean it and maybe not the way I express it:

We are at a point in our entire culture where we are going to lose a whole generation of knowledge and experience that can't ever be replaced.

Please ask these people to tell you their stories, listen and record what they have to say, it's important. Not just for football, but to get a perspective that will be lost if we pay it no mind and how it's shaped Australia, I'm not just talking about Footy people.

No way we losing this one, or 76 and 78 after what Scott and Kennedy agreed to after 75. Which set us up for 20yrs. Kennedy and Scott vowed after 75 that "never again"!!!!

This ties into the thread about Scotty being a dick recently..................learn the history of these people. They were HARD HARD MEN.

I don't know how to say this, so please take it as the way I mean it and maybe not the way I express it:

We are at a point in our entire culture where we are going to lose a whole generation of knowledge and experience that can't ever be replaced.

Please ask these people to tell you their stories, listen and record what they have to say, it's important. Not just for football, but to get a perspective that will be lost if we pay it no mind and how it's shaped Australia, I'm not just talking about Footy people.

No way we losing this one, or 76 and 78 after what Scott and Kennedy agreed to after 75. Which set us up for 20yrs. Kennedy and Scott vowed after 75 that "never again"!!!!

This ties into the thread about Scotty being a dick recently..................learn the history of these people. They were HARD HARD MEN.
Outstanding post 👏

I wish I could understand your posting, Don.

English, speak do you?

I wish I could understand your posting, Don.

English, speak do you?
Mate....funny thing in Australia is how and when we say MATEEEEEEEEE

I could only wish i was as hard nosed a Don, who you keep referring to me as, maybe I am in certain ways, because I'll give you something to watch MATE, and it has nothing to do with footy, but it's about respect. I respect totally Ian Dicker for putting his money where his mouth was, but like it or not he choose Don as his mouth because he was NOT up to that particular task. That is good management, nothing more or less. Repect to each knowing the others strengths and weaknesses. So to try and change history that it was Ian who saved Hawthorn because Scotty is currently "undesirable" shows a distinct lack of knowledge and character by just wanting to be with the " in crowd". Totally forgetting history and those that shaped it.

Ken Beck is 80 mate, so are many many true hard nosed Aussies who we will be lost forevermore over the next 5-10 years, who carries on their story? Australia's story? You? who scoffed at my post? I don't think so Buddy.

Watch the doco drama called Mr Calzaghe.

In particulate pay attention to what one of his toughest opponents said and what his trainer (his dad) said about this guy. It embodies a certain hardness, toughness, and the WILL to not be beaten that Scott, Law, Kennedy, Clarko, Hodge, etc all embody. They refused to be beaten, but they'll get your respect no matter what, while being humble in defeat. Something that is lacking, in my opinion, with a certain gen who are entitled. These people have zero time for such people or where this "entitled attitude" came from, it's shameful to watch. Anyone can be hard at the end of gun mate or entitled if given everything.

On the other hand watch Will Smith (who I don't like as a actor) in Concussion that Johnny "the rat" Plattern is going through to give balance to when being hard costs you your life.

I've been through both, mate. So you scare me not, nor could you ever. But respect, that's a whole other ball game.

One person on here reckoned he'd yell at Scotty to his face that he's bla bla bla....................

I say to that person to walk up to Scotty and say "so you played for the mustard pots hey", and see how far that particular person gets.

Know your history and then you'd know why this person would end up with an umbrella shoved up the arse after it being rammed into their throat and balls............What's it matter.......these guys are all getting on and their stories could be lost tomorrow, there actions are being lost in the constant yelling on social media, but make no mistake, these guys didn't need a gun or a knife, but there stories matter to everyone from all walks of life.

There stories probably matter now more then ever. Respect mate, that is what it's about. Nothing more, nothing less, walk in their shoes, while you still can!!!

Do you even know why I choose a umbrella as a weapon without using goolllge?

Last edited:
Yes, don't forget that Les Hawken was injured in the first few minutes of the Grand Final
You speak about "delicate Des", is this from history you witnessed or heard?

It's important history, regardless. As long as it's passed along before it's lost.

Which is my point about we as a society are about to lose this generation and their wisdom without a whimper. It makes me sad mate, it truly does.

Don't tell anyone he was a back pocket like Parkin and Stratton, you might get "shot" on here.

I saw him play one game.

My uncle refused to take me to another game, as I was bad luck and a curse, and a demon-child.

Then my parents took me to Tonga,stayed there throughout the 70s until end of '78 where I came back and watched every hawks game live from 1979 until 1981. Stopped going to matches and the rest is as they say...

Hi guys. Ken Beck is my great uncle on my Mum’s side. His brother, Jim, was also tall (6’5”), which was still massive for that generation.

Ken is still alive and kicking and a lifetime member of Hawthorn FC.

I recently had this made up for my Mum’s birthday since her dad died several years ago.

If you have any questions for Ken I’m happy to seek them out. He’s in his eighties and is the last of the male siblings. Cheers.

5705D07D-3CFF-41AB-9AA7-BC905B87B286.jpeg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back