Hard bastards

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a modern day version of Merv Neagle, ******* loved that guy. Don't think I ever saw him take a backward step.

Mark Johnson was another. Can't remember who it was against now, but I do recall an incident when he told a player to "get up you weak campaigner" after he was fairly, or not so fairly, put on his ass. Memory is vague so I cant recall if he gave away a free for his choice of words or copped a 50. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Dev has a bit of mongrel in him (undisciplined at times), as does Redman. We need a few more though. Nothing wrong with asserting some authority in a match, as long as it's not detrimental to the team.
Mark Johnson gave away a free to Amon Buchanan. Told him to "get up you weak dog"
Umpire gave him a 50 and said you can't call him that.
The look on Mark Johnson's face was priceless. Like he didn't even swear. Worst 50 ever.

Mark Johnson gave away a free to Amon Buchanan. Told him to "get up you weak dog"
The look on Mark Johnson's face was priceless. Like he didn't even swear. Worst 50 ever.
Thanks for the clarification. Always thought he referred to him as a campaigner, don't know why.

Was there a Port Adelaide player who spoke to one of ours like that after snashing him, or maybe it was a high tackle? Maybe Brogan? ...or Cassisi? Stood over one of our players and verbally laid into him.

Fletcher gave away a free once and said "You're kidding!" and got paid 50 because of "his demeanor".

ABSOLUTELY the worst 50 ever.

Merv and Dippa going toe to toe was awesome in that 83 - 85 period. Both tough as nails in both general play and the biff, but both highly skilled wingmen.

Back in 83, after the Stoneham incident, an edict was given to the players that anyone near Dipper was to belt him. In the return match, Gary Foulds got 2 weeks for hitting him, and Cameron Clayton sat him down right in front of the Dick Reynolds stand. Ran past Dipper & bumped him, Dipper said something, Clayton walked back, didn't say anything, and gave him a left jab/right cross....the stand ERUPTED.

IIRC
Fletch (incredulous) "My demeanour?!"
Ump "you were being demonstrative"
Fletch "You don't even know what the word means"
At that point I laughed because if I didn't I would have cried

Back in 83, after the Stoneham incident, an edict was given to the players that anyone near Dipper was to belt him. In the return match, Gary Foulds got 2 weeks for hitting him, and Cameron Clayton sat him down right in front of the Dick Reynolds stand. Ran past Dipper & bumped him, Dipper said something, Clayton walked back, didn't say anything, and gave him a left jab/right cross....the stand ERUPTED.

Was there, one of my favourite memories.

Fletcher gave away a free once and said "You're kidding!" and got paid 50 because of "his demeanor".
Once in u18s i asked why a free was given and the ump said 'high contract' (i had spoiled the ball over his shoulder).
I shrugged and said 'whatever' and he paid a 50 against me for 'having a bad attitude'.
He then continued to run beside me for 50 metres giving me a mouthful about showing disrespect to authority and how my other teammates had been swearing at him all game.

Even my opponent said afterwards that was the biggest bull***t call he had ever seen.

Some umps just have it in for players some days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once in u18s i asked why a free was given and the ump said 'high contract' (i had spoiled the ball over his shoulder).
I shrugged and said 'whatever' and he paid a 50 against me for 'having a bad attitude'.
He then continued to run beside me for 50 metres giving me a mouthful about showing disrespect to authority and how my other teammates had been swearing at him all game.

Even my opponent said afterwards that was the biggest bull***t call he had ever seen.

Some umps just have it in for players some days.
I once got a twenty five metre penalty (VAFA used to do them instead of 50's) because a bloke ran over the mark after I'd played on but the ump hadn't called it. And earlier in the same match I had blatantly thrown it with no call. The ump gave us a free ride that day.

Many years ago I played in a match in Sydney. The umpire was female and had a real hate for our club, crucifying us at every opportunity. At the end of the match she ran past our group and yelled "How does that feel you mongrels"
She was never seen as an umpire again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back