Review Hard Fought 16 Point Win Over The Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ed was good from my vantage spot. I always find it hard to know who were the best at the ground especially up behind the goals. He kicked two great goals in the first quarter right in front of us. Caleb was great, so were Bont and Naughton. Hard to pick mids from The terraces not the good elevation like Marvel.

I thought Suckling was awesome. Really kept us chugging along in the first half. A bit quieter in the second, but still did his part.
6 tackles too. More than Libba, Macrae, Bont, Wallis. Really good first game back.
Suckling is criminally under-rated on here. He is a very, very good player and so important with his leadership and mature body. He's tougher and does more off ball work than is credited by many. No coincidence that we look a better side when he is in it.

Golden fists were golden today. Perfect conditions for it, but can we wear long stops next time? Must have slipped over at a ratio of 4:1

Good win today, I was pleased with everyone.

Was concerned going in because I think Brissy are a pretty good side.

Dunkley has had two excellent weeks in a row, ditto for the Bont.

Also - just double and triple checking that we re-signed Naughton earlier in the year, yes? (I already know we did but just want it told to me again)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golden fists were golden today. Perfect conditions for it, but can we wear long stops next time? Must have slipped over at a ratio of 4:1
Fagan complained about Brisbane's footwear in his press conference. Mentioned Brisbane slipped over far more often than we did.

Maclean is a concern. I thought he’d be a useful small forward but he’s pretty much proven he isn’t. I don’t know whether it’s since he bulked up, but he slips over more than any other player in the league. Including Lachie Hunter.

I was really annoyed to see Gowers taking spells around the contest in the 4th term. That should literally never be allowed when you consider the embarrassment of riches we have in that department.

Loads of positives today. Trengove was so important for us. Gave away some stupid free kicks but he’s plugging holes and doing it very well.

Suckers slotted straight back in. Man I love that left foot.

People still unsure about Lachy Young. I think that was his best game. Far more composed on the ball and good defensively.

Seems when Gowers is not getting a touch Bevo puts him in the middle to get him into the game. Unfortunately it does not work and McLean should be given a chance. Really interesting if Gowers is dropped. Two 6 possessions games in a row is deplorable for a mid size forward. If this was any other player they would be dropped. Chucking Boyd in the square would be more value even if he was only half fit.

Thought Lions should have been 4 goals up and half time but we scrapped well. Young looks promising but not best 22 at the moment, Hayes is a good depth player but untidy while Gowers is not AFL standard anymore. Massive drop from last year. Still not convinced we have enough clsss in the team to challenge good sides but the effort appears there.

Fagan complained about Brisbane's footwear in his press conference. Mentioned Brisbane slipped over far more often than we did.
The last quarter both teams were all over the place, but i reckon he's mistaken. The first qtr was very noticeable from our perspective.

I apologise to hayes for calling him a dud. A supporter shouldn't rag on a player like that.

I do feel he should make way for lipinski next week
I don't think Hayes is be going out of the team at the moment.

Bailey Smith might need a rest though, I would see Lipinski in for Smith well before he might come in for Hayes after his game today.

Libba quiet the last 2 weeks after Dunkley was moved into the midfield and on the ball (i.e. Libba's previous position).

Dunkley is doing it better so he should continue with the role.

Where does Libba play in the interim? he is not getting it done in the forward line tbh. I feel out setup is only suited to one of Libba/Dunkley, perhaps with his footskills and vision, might work playing him off the HBF, but we are stacked there already.

Libba quiet the last 2 weeks after Dunkley was moved into the midfield and on the ball (i.e. Libba's previous position).

Dunkley is doing it better so he should continue with the role.

Where does Libba play in the interim? he is not getting it done in the forward line tbh. I feel out setup is only suited to one of Libba/Dunkley, perhaps with his footskills and vision, might work playing him off the HBF, but we are stacked there already.

Libba has shown he can be crafty around goals. And a very good one on one mark. A deep forward role might be advantageous for us and Libba for now.

We looked like a different side from late in the second quarter. More like last week.

Brisbane's inexplicable drop-off in the third quarter was critical to us stealing the winning break but credit to our boys too. They really did lift their game in the third, then just controlled it throughout the final quarter.

Bont had a big second half. Lloyd and Trengove don't have a lot of fans here but I thought they both worked really hard and were among our best. Dunkley superb. Naughton showing he can't be kept down for a full game. That's a great attribute.

I'm sitting here wondering how the hell we lost to GCS and Carlton. What a wasted opportunity but at least at 4-4 we're right back in the finals race.
While I agree very much that we should probably be 2 games better in the win column, Gold Coast have actually played pretty well this year and we definitely didn’t deserve to win that game against them, we are not playing the same now as we were then though. So it’s true you wonder how we could have possibly lost those two but for me it was the Carlton game that was worse. Carlton are a terrible team and we should not have lost to them no matter what. I’m not sure what happened mentally to our guys in that game but they just had a shocker. We still should be able to beat Carlton even having a shocker, and if we just kick straighter against Freo we probably win that one as well.

Glad to be back in the hunt but definitely wasted a chance to be 6-2 and right up near the top. Hopefully they can keep it going next week but it will be about as hard as it gets trying to win down at the Cattery.

Only right that now we're back in the premiership window we re-introduce Fletch to finish off the job. Tommy should time his return perfectly for some stage in mid-August as well.

Mid-season rookie for Shiggsy?

I love a bringing the band back together scene in a film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back