Hardest man to play AFL/VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

bloke cut off his finger working in a munitions factory the week of the 45 grand final.
sewed it back on himself and played. thats hard.

Not sure about the bit about him sewing his finger back on. I always thought he did it on the morning of the match and played against doctor's advice.

trivia: His unusual middle name was Main-Warring.

bloke cut off his finger working in a munitions factory the week of the 45 grand final.
Then, after heroically knocking out cold a 17yo Ron Clegg with a cheap shot from behind, Chitty's right arm fell off completely late in the first qtr. Trainer gaffer taped it back on in the rooms at qtr time, then he returned bloodied in the second qtr looking to drop Jim Cleary, who was wrongfully thought to be the guy who had sent Ken Hands off on a stretcher in retaliation for Clegg. Ron Clegg had to be knocked out a second time of course, coz he was good.
Just before 3/4 time Chitty had heroically managed to clean up every South kid under 19 on the paddock, but in the process had lost an arm, a finger on the other hand, both eyes had closed up, a snapped femur, and suffered a cardiac arrest lifting the cup after the game.
Chitty later copped a ridiculous 8 weeks at the tribunal. Didn't even deserve 1.

How Carlton fans remember the game, and Bob Chitty's heroics that day.
Crowd 63,000 at Princes Park.

Last edited:
The legend of Richmond the great Captain Blood Jack Dyer
States Bob was the toughest he played against
That's good enough to me

Then, after heroically knocking out cold a 17yo Ron Clegg with a cheap shot from behind, Chitty's right arm fell off completely late in the first qtr. Trainer gaffer taped it back on in the rooms at qtr time, then he returned bloodied in the second qtr looking to drop Jim Cleary, who was wrongfully thought to be the guy who had sent Ken Hands off on a stretcher in retaliation for Clegg. Ron Clegg had to be knocked out a second time of course, coz he was good.
Just before 3/4 time Chitty had heroically managed to clean up every South kid under 19 on the paddock, but in the process had lost an arm, a finger on the other hand, both eyes had closed up, a snapped femur, and suffered a cardiac arrest lifting the cup after the game.
Chitty later copped a ridiculous 8 weeks at the tribunal. Didn't even deserve 1.

is that an attempt at being funny ?
If so didn't succeed

the week of the 45 grand final.

Was actually leading into the prelim - the game where he bashed the s**t out of Brownlow medallist Des Fothergill. Lou Richards later told a (disputed) story about Fothergill asking Jock McHale what to do at half time, with McHale allegedly replying, "You're a man... aren't you?"

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about

The legend of Richmond the great Captain Blood Jack Dyer
States Bob was the toughest he played against
That's good enough to me
:rolleyes:You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Asking an overrated thug who he thought was the best overrated thug.
So the hardest man to play AFL/VFL is the one with the best concrete jaw, sharpest elbows and an innate desire to cheap shot whenever suitable.
Cheerleader s**t.

and to think, tiggy fans could have mentioned Francis Bourke.
Instead, the low brow cheerleaders amongst them vote for the ones that throw the most cheap shots.

May as well think Barry Hall was a hard man for decking Staker, Matthews on Bruns, or Robby Muir.
That Andrew Gaff fella, he's such a hard man now.

Just because it was 70-80 yrs ago doesnt mean it was heroic hard man s**t. Never was.

Last edited:
Toughest, dirtiest and most feared would be big Carl
Weakest coward sniper would be Roger Merrett
Toughest Paul Kelly and Glen Archer

and to think, tiggy fans could have mentioned Francis Bourke.
Instead, the low brow cheerleaders amongst them vote for the ones that throw the most cheap shots.

May as well think Barry Hall was a hard man for decking Staker, Matthews on Bruns, or Robby Muir.
That Andrew Gaff fella, he's such a hard man now.

Just because it was 70-80 yrs ago doesnt mean it was heroic hard man s**t. Never was.
Funniest thing ive ever read on big footy in 13 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, how can you nominate as a hard man someone who cries on the field - DURING a game, and as captain. Good player, but no.

Brown? Definitely. He'd be up there.
Did you read what they said moron?? one of the most courageous modern day players. FFS.

No it isn't.
Look, if you cant figure out what to say or need an argument...go ask one of the more knowledgeable tiggy fans what to say. Someone that isn't just another cheerleader and can string a sentence together. I cant be expected to hold your hand.
Don't need to ask my fellow tiger supporters
I know every inch of the history of our great club
Its a pity you don't

Don't need to ask my fellow tiger supporters
I know every inch of the history of our great club
Its a pity you don't
Who the hell cares about your club. WTF has it got to do with Bob Chitty or the 1945 GF ?
We were discussing a GF between two proper VFL foundation clubs....not a plastic newcomer like your lot.

What is it about insecure tiggy fans, they feel left out and want everything to end up about them.

John Platten was a small dude who got knocked from pillar to post playing in the guts in the 80's. Never shirked, on the bottom of packs...... countless concussions.

That's my definition of tough.

Beau Waters, just check out a highlights video of him.
His courage probably cost him 50-100 games.
Memorable collision with Johno Brown when they both went hard at it and knocked each other out but kept trying to get up.
Yeah good pick. Could dish it out fairly but never blinked when it was his turn to run with the flight or back into a pack.
I reckon most opposition players would have been pretty conscious of him when the ball was in their forward line, until he got them then they were no longer conscious of course :)

Gavin Brown, Milane, Craig Kelly. Collingwood premiership players, they eat 1st round draft picks for breakfast, the breakfast of champions.

Please Craig Kelly....He had his chance with his pinching of players then come up against Plugger & he was warned & to scared he shite himself. Had he have continued to do it to Plugger l would at least give him some respect. So a man who pinches other men from behind is more coward than courage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back