Remove this Banner Ad

BIGBEZ

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Bloods!
He was a big boy, he used to run laps with us around Albert Park lake, always with his shirt off, rain, hail or shine![/quote

Sorry, I read post wrong, too many beers, I thought you meant Paul Roos when you said 'conan the barbarian'!:thumbsu:

incubi

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2005
Northcote
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Courageous modern day players, especially in marking contests- Nick Reiwoldt and Jonny Brown. Reiwoldts mark versus Sydney was possibly the most courageous of all time.

Riewoldts mark isnt that uncommon ive seen a few marks like that (not as spectacular, but as courageous). Chris Grant took one in the late 90s at Optus Oval.
I nominate Grant by the way, as tough as nails (although probably isnt that intimidating because at his peak it was his agility for his size not his size which was his main asset), always willing to go back with the flight of the ball, back into packs and play hurt (broken jaws, cheekbones etc.)

claf-43

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 21, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have got to be kidding, the question is the hardest man to play AFL you read that didn't you?

So in the rich history of the AFL and of all the hardmen your posts contain no less than five that have played for Port come on fella get real.
you support Adelaide, your obviously one of them pathetic individuals who dig up posts by Power supporters as you have nothing better to do in September :thumbsu:

So your opinions count for squat

Frederlick

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2007
Newport
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you are talking hard at the ball and not a cheap shot pshyco ala Mathews or Dietrich, Bob Rose is the man. No one x'ed him because he could have dropped them like a bad habit. Would have boxed professionally had he not played footy. Showed what a man he was off field too. Play tough, play brave, play like Bobby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albert Collier from Collingwood was the toughest of them all. Jack Dyer who we all know was extremely hard and tough said that Collier was the only man he ever feared. He said he had so much respect and fear for Collier that he almost shook in his presence. The great Jock McHale also claimed that not even God could stop Collier when bursting through the pack. Collier was not only hard but also a Brownlow medalist and a 6 time premiership player.

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
Leigh Colbert.

Colbert is the most courageous player I reckon I've seen. Fearless, was often too courageous for his own good. Theres courage and then theres stupidity and he crossed the line on numerous times

The most courageous player I've seen at the Dogs is Chris Grant. Rarely gets any credit for it but time and time again he backs into packs, he never takes a backwards step and he has played with some terrible injuries. He hurt his medial ligament in 2005 against Hawthorn in a game he went into with a fractured jaw that got plated during the week and a shoulder that had popped out. How do you play with a dislocated shoulder and fractured jaw??

He's fearless, tough and still fair

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Courageous modern day players, especially in marking contests- Nick Reiwoldt and Jonny Brown. Reiwoldts mark versus Sydney was possibly the most courageous of all time.

Sorry, how can you nominate as a hard man someone who cries on the field - DURING a game, and as captain. Good player, but no.

Brown? Definitely. He'd be up there.

Halk Tawker

Debutant
May 23, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There's two players that immediately spring to mind.

I only caught the last 3-4 years of Leigh Matthews career, and based on highlights I have seen, it was enough for me to mention him here.

The other bloke I must mention, having seen his entire career, is Michael Voss. The guy's toughness, dedication and leadership is unquestioned.

So, for me, Matthews and Voss are the two hardest men to play AFL/VFL.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Albert Collier from Collingwood was the toughest of them all. Jack Dyer who we all know was extremely hard and tough said that Collier was the only man he ever feared. He said he had so much respect and fear for Collier that he almost shook in his presence. The great Jock McHale also claimed that not even God could stop Collier when bursting through the pack. Collier was not only hard but also a Brownlow medalist and a 6 time premiership player.

Was going to post something similar. Brownlow winner to boot.

mikeythemoocow

Cancelled
Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Mar 17, 2005
Nakatomi Plaza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aussie Ahmed
do you know,

I really think that James Hird should get a mention. Not the hardest, but never shirked a contest even when he knew he was going to cope it. Tough enough.

chaddles

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2007
In the trees
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
and Reiwoldt is disqualified due to crying on the sidelines

Yeah I forgot about that- pretty courageous player but definitely not tough.
Dermott was probably my favourite hardman. I love hearing Allan Jeans talk about him- was one of his favourite players. Dermie would do anything he could to get his team over the line- was gutsy and respected by all even though he acted like a prissy boy.

Topdock65

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle & South Freo
Pound for pound.. Stan Magro

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Spot on !!!

One of the youngest ever to Play for South Fremantle... Gave Garry Sidebottom a touch up once in front of the Walker stand at Bassendean oval so bad that Sidey Dad jumped the fence to try and stop little Stan the Man killing Garry Sidebottom ....:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back