Opinion Hardest Year of Support?

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine 45-70 when we didn't make the finals once must have been pretty trying as a supporter.

That said, the bye really broke the momentum of the season for me, and I kinda tuned out until September. A lot of the games were messy and pretty unpleasant to watch.

Highlights were to be had though. Heeney for one made things considerably brighter.

Please, please don't bring up 1993 on this Board.

One Win, one ******* win and people think this year was hard:mad:

Hey, I have good memories of 1993. I was part of the Melbourne-based cheersquad - a small but tight-knit group who went to every Melbourne game and got together to watch the interstate ones on TV - and we had a great time regardless of the result.

Barassi came in and gave the side much-needed credibility, young players like Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell and Stafford were coming through and the likes of Bryce, Osborne and Lawson offered excitement. Plus Mintie was there, and he's my favourite Swans player.

Hey, I have good memories of 1993. I was part of the Melbourne-based cheersquad - a small but tight-knit group who went to every Melbourne game and got together to watch the interstate ones on TV - and we had a great time regardless of the result.

Barassi came in and gave the side much-needed credibility, young players like Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell and Stafford were coming through and the likes of Bryce, Osborne and Lawson offered excitement. Plus Mintie was there, and he's my favourite Swans player.

Don't me wrong, we got plenty out of the 2nd half of the season after we bottomed out as you pointed out which changed the club to what it is today but getting to the bottom was not enjoyable and we had just the one win to show for it.

1992 also has its merits as bad year after not winning again after the second weekend in May (until the next July?) and then the well known vote to expel us and replace us with Carlton in October.

Note: Not a sympathy thread, just interested in people's opinions.

Has this been one of the hardest and/or most frustrating season's to be a Sydney Swans supporter on and off the field?

What we've had to deal with:
- The Trade Ban
- Our onfield performance
- Our gameplan
- The Adam Goodes events
- Buddy's troubles
- The injuries heading into the finals
- The Media

Not sure if I'm missing anything.

I love my Sydney Swans and I was hoping we could've had a sneaky chance of making the Grand Final but to be honest I'm abit relieved that the season is over.

I was just learning to walk back in the dark days of the early 90's so I can't comment on that but this year has to me been the hardest to support the club. Not so much because of the onfield stuff because every club has their troubles throughout the season. It's more the off-field stuff that's just had me mentally fried as it seems like everyone outside of the club is trying to bring us down. The Goodesy stuff has made me bitter towards opposition supporters and the media and has made me lose some of my enjoyment of the game.

What are other people's thoughts?
It's been an ugly year, to see off a legend of our club with all the s**t he's had to endure has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back