Harding Elevated this Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Very exciting - could be a very good player.

I see that they're considering elevating another rookie (for Pat Garner), and I was wondering who was next on the list. What position does Jason Roe play? He wouldn't happen to be a tall midfielder would he?

Last year they didn't elevate Drummond until round 6 or so. Why did it take so long to elevate him? Was it because they were waiting until someone stood out?

Roe would provide the greatest flexibility. Probably not true key position -- 192 but wiry so think of 'Jared Brennan meets Micky O'loughlin' -- but has played all his recent football off half back.

He's really your genuine tall utility that you can throw at anything -- like Pike and Whitey have been for us. You probably wouldn't throw him at Tredrea or Rocca (Fergus Watts kicked a bag on him in his last SANFL game), but you could play him on Tarrant one quarter and then let him loose on a wing the next. Pretty quick and good hands.

Only hitch is a busted collar bone that has prevented him from really showing any form in training or games. My feeling is they'll wait a month at least to see how the form of the Suncoast guys goes before making any elevation calls.

Grimreepah said:
Very exciting - could be a very good player.

I see that they're considering elevating another rookie (for Pat Garner), and I was wondering who was next on the list. What position does Jason Roe play? He wouldn't happen to be a tall midfielder would he?

Last year they didn't elevate Drummond until round 6 or so. Why did it take so long to elevate him? Was it because they were waiting until someone stood out?

Apparently Garner is also gone for the season with a knee reco - so he won't be promoted. Rumour has it that Chris Scott may not be seen on the playing surface again this year either.

Eagle Eye said:
Apparently Garner is also gone for the season with a knee reco - so he won't be promoted. Rumour has it that Chris Scott may not be seen on the playing surface again this year either.

... uh ... I think you misread what I said.

good news - he looks to be a star of the future....BUT

I will be serously jacked off if Riska doesnt get first crack at it :mad:

its a good thing to have good yougsters comming through :D:thumbsu: - the future does look bright

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they name both Harding and Riska this week. You'd think Nige (and possibly Hads) would have been named Rd 1, so there are midfield spots up for grabs; based on form, Riska and Harding should definitely be in the mix.

As for promoting another rookie, I'd sit tight for a while. It's tough to say how much footy Garner would have played this year, it probably would have depended on how blokes like Leppa hold up injury-wise. The decision on whether to promote a replacement probably also rests on the same considerations. At the same time, with Lappin and Hadley missing (plus Chris Scott for an extended period) we could need more cover again in the midfield - depends on further injuries and how well our young brigade stands up.

With this spate of long-term injuries, we have plenty of scope for promoting youngsters, but I imagine financial concerns will also come into it. Roe's flexibility is appealing, if fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the club takes its time promoting another player. Time will tell if and where we need cover, plus more time to assess the rookies is also an advantage.

jo_lions said:
With this spate of long-term injuries, we have plenty of scope for promoting youngsters, but I imagine financial concerns will also come into it. Roe's flexibility is appealing, if fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the club takes its time promoting another player. Time will tell if and where we need cover, plus more time to assess the rookies is also an advantage.

Hit it smack on the head there Jo.

Rookies should only be promoted if they're close to the best 22 on form or if there's a dearth of a particular type of player. No other rookie has made as big an impression as Harding has both last year in the AFLQ and this pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far there has been no pressure on Harding, because there was nothing for him to lose. Now a lot is expected of him, and it will interesting to see how he responds to that.

When asked about Brownlow medal hangovers, Leigh said that it is important that a Brownlow medalist remembers that they are the same player the day before they won, as the day after. In other words, don't try and play beyond your capabilities. I suspect he'll be giving Harding similar advice.

Good luck Scott.

Surreal after playing some junior footy with him to see him at AFL level - but he was always up there in terms of talented juniors around the place.

Best of luck to the bloke (except against us of course).

On form Harding and Riska should both be good chances to play this week. Could depend on the number of youngsters the selection commitee is prepared to play at once, however. If they opt for one only Riska might just edge him out.

the logical thing to do by replacing an in form midfielder with an injured midfielder. Best of luck to him...man..one mans misfortune has created two mens fortune....:rolleyes: [drummond from last yr]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back