Hardwick praises Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his corporate mantra is more of a product of the club's poor culture. When you have senior officials of the club, above him, come out and say "this is the plan, we have the right plan, we're still following that plan" and then sack their senior coach, that speaks volumes about a culture of ignorance and denial. Carlton will go nowhere if they don't refresh their board. Too many fossils holding onto the idea of past glory and too busy pushing their agenda with an inflated ego. Stinks of mediocrity. Bolton was just the shiny bright side of a rotten apple. Always smiling and trying to keep a positive outlook. He is a sharpshooter, very analytical and has good player rapport, give him the right weapons and he'll deliver.

Bolton chooses his words, not the club. As senior coach he was in a position to set his own agenda regarding the way he communicates. Regarding the rest of the club, the board, Chris Judd etc, if I had to bet I would say you could be correct, but barring what I consider to be some insipid statements from Judd, I have no sound way of judging the rest. A really good leader will stand up to all of that and try to persuade anyone on the wrong track to alter their view. You could see in Carlton's play over recent weeks, Bolton(or other coaches under him) was either giving the wrong message, or the players were not following the message. Either way, this brings into serious question his coaching credentials.

Oh yeah he's history's greatest monster for sure.
What should he have said?
"Im going to sit back with 15 hookers and a mountain of coke and happily watch carlton burn."
According to you that would be more honest?
'Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm' Winston Churchill

I will not respond to your first statement bolded above because it is a straw man argument where you have imputed a meaning to my post that is not there. You didn't need to do that, I provided plenty of arguable reasoning and conclusions for you to criticise if you disagree.

Bolton gave a standard job interview answer. And I think he speaks to his players in this mode at least at times as I have seen him do it. If he is asked after a loss how he keeps his spirits up, there are loads of more sincere responses though it needs to be individual to the person. But if he said, I will go to bed tonight feeling a bit beaten up but a good night's sleep always reinvigorates me, or, I will go home and listen to Beethoven's twelfth for some inspiration, or, yes it is tough at the moment but I will take my dog for a walk and I'll be fine....nice simple sincere answers.

I repeat my earlier observation, players(and other staff under him) respond better to sincerity than formulated correct answers. If you disagree with this or that it applies to Bolton, then perhaps say why...

Highly regarded assistant coach becomes head coach at Carlton. Gets sacked after a poor win:loss ratio. Gets picked up by Richmond as an assistant.

We're rebooting the Wayne Brittain story again, are we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back