News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimma was wonderful because he caused us to be hated again and the salt caused by his team was wonderful. Seeing oppo fans on the main board cry over Richmond was a delight to see for many years. What a man
Nah, it was more your unbearable fan base that were acting like you weren't a joke for 30 years. Would have thought you'd show a bit of humility - but no. Good to see you finally back in your boxes now though. Funny reading your autopsy threads this year with posts calling Hardwick a fraud and insinuating that he only won his flags due to the assistant coaches at the time (which is a sound argument IMHO).

So you think every other club have their best players signed up to 5/6 year deals... ?

I stand to be corrected, but Dusty's deal is reportedly $1.125m average and back ended. Lynch I think $950k average and back ended. Prestia we understand is on $750k average.

Who knows how much from these deals has been re-worked after Rance retired etc, but even those averages you are getting up around $3m pa. Dusty and Lynch possibly get new deals but they will be much lower.

See if you can come up with a club or clubs who has more salary expiring from so few players over the next 2-3 off-seasons.

Did Hardwick and Richmond genuinely think they were in the flag zone? Wowee
I think most teams, unless fully developing, want to believe they can contend.
There is a difference between likely and hopeful. I think every team in the 8 currently and a few just outside are hopeful, but the reality is only a handful are likely.

I stand to be corrected, but Dusty's deal is reportedly $1.125m average and back ended. Lynch I think $950k average and back ended. Prestia we understand is on $750k average.

Who knows how much from these deals has been re-worked after Rance retired etc, but even those averages you are getting up around $3m pa. Dusty and Lynch possibly get new deals but they will be much lower.

See if you can come up with a club or clubs who has more salary expiring from so few players over the next 2-3 off-seasons.

You're just making up numbers for their salaries and then just making up they're heavily backended. The salaries bandied around in the media are normally always highly exaggerated to make a better story.

Listening to his conference today it was clear they thought they could win it

That's staggering

Why is that staggering?

You think every Premier would have decided prior to the season they can win it this year, and every non premier should have decided they couldn't win it?

I thought the Geelong mantra was you just get your best possible list together each year and give it your best shot...

Hint: when you aftertime, you might want to wait until it is truly an after time...there are 13 home and away games remaining and we are 1.5 games outside the 8. :)

You're just making up numbers for their salaries and then just making up they're heavily backended. The salaries bandied around in the media are normally always highly exaggerated to make a better story.

So hang on, by relaying what was reported and accepted at the time of the contracts being made, I am "making things up."

The media might have made it up, but I didn't. All of what was reported at the time made perfect sense in context and I have already said I don't know if the club has pre-paid some of the back-ended portions of the two bigger contracts.

So if I am wrong, you tell us what is right....How much are Dusty, Lynch and Prestia on in your opinion?

Cotchin and Riewoldt retire this year frees up a nice sum of money.

Dusty’s 7 years ends next season. More dollars freed up.

Tom Lynch’s 7 years ends in 2025. More dollars freed up.

Grimes, Prestia and whoever else in the next two seasons.

I think you could be hearing about a Richmond war chest throughout 2024/25.
You've got Taranto and Hopper signed until the end of 2029. Bolton 2028. Rioli and Short 2027. Vlastuin 2026.

That's more long-term contracts than most clubs. So most other clubs have the possibility of a bigger war chest. And none of those players are key position players so you'll be trying to bring in players in very specific positions without as much cash available as other clubs. You could do it but those contracts are clearly a risk and limit a new the options for a new coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enormous miscalculation.

They gave away 4x first and second round picks for Taranto and Hooper.

It could get very, very ugly.
I know you're only trolling but I'll you at face value just to clarify a few things. Draft picks are a lottery. We only have to go back over our first round choices over the lasy decade to see that. Some surpassed expectation, while many were extremely disappointing. Giving up two later first rounders for two know quality midfielders, which was an area we needed help in, was a fair bet to make. Couple that decision with the fact that they are only in their mid twenties, and it was a decision for the now and the future too.

People suggesting that things could 'get ugly' aren't really making rational judgements I'm afraid. If both players crap the bed or become terribly injuried, then we can reassess the decision but atm, it was a clever, low risk trade to make.

You've got Taranto and Hopper signed until the end of 2029. Bolton 2028. Rioli and Short 2027. Vlastuin 2026.

That's more long-term contracts than most clubs. So most other clubs have the possibility of a bigger war chest. And none of those players are key position players so you'll be trying to bring in players in very specific positions without as much cash available as other clubs. You could do it but those contracts are clearly a risk and limit a new the options for a new coach.

Other clubs have to contract their best players or lose them. So it is not like they have a warchest if they need to contract their own best players.

I know you're only trolling but I'll you at face value just to clarify a few things. Draft picks are a lottery. We only have to go back over our first round choices over the lasy decade to see that. Some surpassed expectation, while many were extremely disappointing. Giving up two later first rounders for two know quality midfielders, which was an area we needed help in, was a fair bet to make. Couple that decision with the fact that they are only in their mid twenties, and it was a decision for the now and the future too.

People suggesting that things could 'get ugly' aren't really making rational judgements I'm afraid. If both players crap the bed or become terribly injuried, then we can reassess the decision but atm, it was a clever, low risk trade to make.

I’m not trolling at all and there’s absolutely nothing in what I wrote to suggest I am - it’s in your head.

Yeah you think your club has got it all right, of course you do.

Somehow Richmond thought they were still in the premiership window which they are not - their senior coach has said as much just 10 weeks in.

So they need to rebuild.

As has been shown time and time again, the only way to build a quality list is through lots of draft picks in the first two rounds.

No matter how Taranto and Hopper perform, to part with four of these picks is a massive price to pay for a club entering a rebuild. It could potentially set it back considerably.

Hawthorn did it and absolutely bombed.

Enormous miscalculation.

They gave away 4x first and second round picks for Taranto and Hooper.

It could get very, very ugly.

Really don't think people realize just how crippling this could be.
Hopper is already spending time on the sidelines. Many people on here said he had a bad knee and GWS were more than happy to get overs for him.
Taranto is a ready-made Cotchin replacement but it was a hell of a lot to give up for just one solid midfielder.

Really don't think people realize just how crippling this could be.
Hopper is already spending time on the sidelines. Many people on here said he had a bad knee and GWS were more than happy to get overs for him.
Taranto is a ready-made Cotchin replacement but it was a hell of a lot to give up for just one solid midfielder.
Didn't Geelong do this for years, trading in players and then won a flag last year?

I’m not trolling at all and there’s absolutely nothing in what I wrote to suggest I am - it’s in your head.

Yeah you think your club has got it all right, of course you do.

Somehow Richmond thought they were still in the premiership window which they are not - their senior coach has said as much just 10 weeks in.

So they need to rebuild.

As has been shown time and time again, the only way to build a quality list is through lots of draft picks in the first two rounds.

No matter how Taranto and Hopper perform, to part with four of these picks is a massive price to pay for a club entering a rebuild. It could potentially set it back considerably.

Hawthorn did it and absolutely bombed.
One thing that I am completely confident with is the Richmond recruiters. They used a combination of drafting and trades to build a list that won three flags in four years. Missing two years of mid to late first round picks will not cripple the club. Bringing in two years of drafting that fail, is actually worse. We've done that in the past too. Drafting is not an exact science. Every club has their horror stories. No one has nailed it.

Years a go we traded out all our better players, retired our older players and went to the draft. We had a team of babies that were demoralized week after week. Then, they developed a culture of failure. So, ultimately, going to the draft and never trading in players, was a failure. Like everything in life, drafting and trading in unison to fill list needs, is the best strategy.

Didn't Geelong do this for years, trading in players and then won a flag last year?

Yes they did and I was hugely critical of it so there's a bit of hypocrisy for ya but Geelong do not win last years premiership if they never draft De Koning or sign up Cameron. Two massive game changers which completely trump any previous trades (Henderson, Tuohy, Z.Smith, Ablett).

And in 2016/2017, Hawkins & Selwood were still in their prime and arguably top 10 in the competition. Bringing in a bloke who won the brownlow medal was a no brainer.
Hence why Darcy Parish will be highly sought after by a few clubs this off season.

Nah, it was more your unbearable fan base that were acting like you weren't a joke for 30 years. Would have thought you'd show a bit of humility - but no. Good to see you finally back in your boxes now though. Funny reading your autopsy threads this year with posts calling Hardwick a fraud and insinuating that he only won his flags due to the assistant coaches at the time (which is a sound argument IMHO).
Cheers from proving me correct 🤣 salt lives on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back