Hargrave 150th

Apr 12, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
North Melbourne
From Website article

Hargrave, who went swimming on Tuesday as he continues to recover from a recent quad injury, will celebrate his 150th game this weekend against the Tigers.

Anyone who plays 150 games is a good player. Well done.

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its a fantastic achievement. He has been the unsung hero in our backline for some time now, and has done a variety of defensive roles. I really hope the boys can have a good win for him.

Did his dad used to play for us as well? There was a Steve Hargrave who played a couple of games for us in the early 80's. Is that his dad? I seemed to recall an article last year where it said that he was his dad.

Its a fantastic achievement. He has been the unsung hero in our backline for some time now, and has done a variety of defensive roles. I really hope the boys can have a good win for him.

Did his dad used to play for us as well? There was a Steve Hargrave who played a couple of games for us in the early 80's. Is that his dad? I seemed to recall an article last year where it said that he was his dad.

Yes, that was his dad. He did his knee at his first pre season with us and it was no good after that. He cost us a fair bit on transfer from Perth I think. Was gunna be our gun CHF. Debuted at over 27 years old. I'm pretty sure I was actually at the training session at Hansen Reserve, I think it was, when he did his knee.

I think Shaggy is an very extremely well respected and liked member of the team, they will want to win this for him.

Granty84

Debutant
Sep 11, 2008
Bacchus Marsh
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Congrats to Shaggy, a fantastic contributor to our footy club, has really been under-rated from outside the club his whole career, but inside we know his true worth week in week out! Our backline looks a lot stronger with him in it. So congrats and hopefully many more to come!

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hargrave has been a terrific contributor. About 3 years ago his place was looking a little shakey as he was struggling with being asked to be the main tall defender at times.
His performance as the 3rd or 4th tall and the run he generates is fantastic. He is one of the best at knowing when to zone off to help out. He has always had good foot skills and early in his career he did show promise forward. Unfortunately team balance etc. required him to play back and he has been consistently good. His game against Sydney highlighted his importance.

Hargrave becomes the 4th 1999 draftee to reach 150 games (Giansiracusa, Murphy, Gilbee have preceded him) Mitch Hahn is close to joining the group and will play his 148th on Friday. What a great draft for the Dogs.

Dec 26, 2005
Park Orchards
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ParkOrchards FC. Mitch-Scot Cycling
Yes, that was his dad. He did his knee at his first pre season with us and it was no good after that. He cost us a fair bit on transfer from Perth I think. Was gunna be our gun CHF. Debuted at over 27 years old. I'm pretty sure I was actually at the training session at Hansen Reserve, I think it was, when he did his knee.

Yeah, for some reason we were training away from the then Western Oval when our high profile recruit from Perth stood in a sprinkler hole and wrecked his knee.

Congratulations to Shaggy.... a terrific achievement by a very important and under-rated member of our defence. I wonder if Heath Black will send him a Best Wishes card....

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, for some reason we were training away from the then Western Oval when our high profile recruit from Perth stood in a sprinkler hole and wrecked his knee.

Geez, our CHF's have had a bad history with sprinklers over the years. I wasn't aware that Hargrave senior did his knee :(

I get him mixed up with another interstate recruit that only played a game or two. There was some star midfielder we got, and we played him despite not having a clearance at the time from his old club, and we had to send him back because of the threat of legal action and associated dramas. There was some discussion at the time that we would lose our points because we won the game with a player without a clearance. I thought that was Hargrave, but I have mixed him up with someone else.

always right

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Wallabies
Geez, our CHF's have had a bad history with sprinklers over the years. I wasn't aware that Hargrave senior did his knee :(

I get him mixed up with another interstate recruit that only played a game or two. There was some star midfielder we got, and we played him despite not having a clearance at the time from his old club, and we had to send him back because of the threat of legal action and associated dramas. There was some discussion at the time that we would lose our points because we won the game with a player without a clearance. I thought that was Hargrave, but I have mixed him up with someone else.

You're thinking of John Riley. He played one game (against Richmond) which we won. By memory he was a nuclear physicist or something similar.

mjc1173

Debutant
Jul 2, 2007
hartwell
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Shaggy was my least liked player a few years back but I ahve changed my tune in the last year and a bit. I am very pleased to see him reach 150 games.

Congratulations to Shaggy.... a terrific achievement by a very important and under-rated member of our defence. I wonder if Heath Black will send him a Best Wishes card....

It would have been the cricket club's 6 months.

Great, short, sharp little punch.

Back