Traded Harley Balic [traded to Melbourne] [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess the AFL club
1) One premiership in its entire history
2) 27 Wooden Spoons
3) Broke the hearts of all of their stalwarts by paying 15 cents in the dollar to absolve themselves of all of their debts.
4) Spent millions to move their home base to Seaford (despite everyone telling them that it was a terrible move). Now spending millions to move back.
5) Played three grand finals in two years. Won none of them.
6) Has been involved in the schoolgirl sex scandal and the burning the dwarf scandal.
7) Last week had to have both captain and coach apologize for misogynistic sledging scandal which from all accounts has set back their chances of landing a female teams licence.
8) Always has to fight against being an irrelevance and always will have to.

Personally think that it might be better to have Port Melbourne in the AFL than said team.

Players play for the future not the past. Carlton are the most irrelevant victorian team of the past 10 years and have a list full of gws hand me downs. Who knows how many premierships were bought with brown paper bag payments. Not to mention a captain that has super thin skin.

With that said, my post was tongue in cheek, someone is clearly insecure.

People really don't read or do their research.

To sugguest that a player who could walk into best 25 of any club atm
with upside to be a top 10 players in a team is worth a fourth round pick is non sense.

Balic? A walk-up start at any club?
4 career games and he's a walk-up start @ GWS?

Balic may yet yield a pick at ~#30, dependent on the depth of the draft and the will of a club to secure him.....but he's not a walk-up start anywhere.

Balic? A walk-up start at any club?
4 career games and he's a walk-up start @ GWS?

Balic may yet yield a pick at ~#30, dependent on the depth of the draft and the will of a club to secure him.....but he's not a walk-up start anywhere.
Only can find out next year or the following year .maybe not at all .

To sugguest that a player who could walk into best 25 of any club atm with upside to be a top 10 players in a team is worth a fourth round pick is non sense.

Oh u r a funny funny man.

3rd rounder. Upside top 10? U guys paid for Bennell using same logic, did you? He had potential to be top 10 in comp!

Oh u r a funny funny man.

3rd rounder. Upside top 10? U guys paid for Bennell using same logic, did you? He had potential to be top 10 in comp!
Like when you are selling/auctioning anything, the highest bidder determines the value. If there is more than one buyer then them bidding against each other pushes the value up. Bennell was cheap because there was only one bidder. Seems a silly comparison to make.

If Balic wanted to be traded then his value would be determined more so on if there are multiple clubs wanting him and then what each of those clubs would be willing to pay. Compared to opposition supporters we've obviously seen a lot more of him - all his AFL games plus his 12 WAFL games that he mostly dominated. So we rate him very highly. A number of respected football people (independent of Freo) have also described him as a future gun of the competition. Apparently his wrist injury was so severe he almost gave up and retired last year (that's why he dropped down the draft order so much).

I think he is likely to be worth a first rounder within 2 years but if a trade were to happen at the end of this year I think an early to mid 2nd rounder is what other clubs sh/would be willing to pay. Of course there is still yet to be any real evidence supporting the claim he will be leaving. The media (and BFers) love some juicy speculation though.

No one is going to give 2nd rounder for Balic.

Will Hoskin Elliot is a second rounder
Jarryd Lyons is a third round pick
Josh Caddy is a second round pick

Koby Stevens is a fourth round pick

No club on this planet will give up a second rounder for Balic

Don't rule out a 2nd rounder for Balic, they got a 2nd rounder for Mayne..............

No one is going to give 2nd rounder for Balic.

Will Hoskin Elliot is a second rounder
Jarryd Lyons is a third round pick
Josh Caddy is a second round pick

Koby Stevens is a fourth round pick

No club on this planet will give up a second rounder for Balic

WHE 23, played 13 games in 24 months with 2 last season. Major concerns with soft tissue injuries and has had trouble with his shoulder, plus he was still contracted so the offer had to satisfy GWS. More than two bidders played a part!
Lyons 24, a made trade was overs!
Caddy 24, played games but was always 'potential' or a 'WIP'. He is hardly proving anything atm!
Stevens 25, played 12 games in 24 months with no excuses, going ok now at his 3rd club!

Not one of these guys are like Balic!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHE 23, played 13 games in 24 months with 2 last season. Major concerns with soft tissue injuries and has had trouble with his shoulder, plus he was still contracted so the offer had to satisfy GWS. More than two bidders played a part!
Lyons 24, a made trade was overs!
Caddy 24, played games but was always 'potential' or a 'WIP'. He is hardly proving anything atm!
Stevens 25, played 12 games in 24 months with no excuses, going ok now at his 3rd club!

Not one of these guys are like Balic!

WHE GWS needed to clear cap space so took unders.

Caddy was contracted and had far more runs on the board than balic.

Even kersten played 16 games in a top 4 side and went for pick 63.

A 4 game out of contract balic is not netting you a second rounder anywhere from anyone. Unless he plays a lot of senior games in the second half of the year and does very well, and even then the fact that players usually nominate one club will see you take well unders.

It is natural for fans of potential suitors to be cynical. Oscar Wilde described a cynic as a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Then again, I thought Robbie Warnock was going to be the next big thing. I wonder what he would say about an optimist.

A 4 game out of contract balic is not netting you a second rounder anywhere from anyone. Unless he plays a lot of senior games in the second half of the year and does very well, and even then the fact that players usually nominate one club will see you take well unders.

Go read the WHE thread and see what people were saying, its actually a lot like this one!

Caddy had runs, what like Shane Watson?

Freo gave up pick 63 for a 23yo player that couldnt get a regular game due to form, pick 63, that is how you trade!

Now show me where i said anything about a second rounder in return for Balic, ill believe you even if you edit one of my previous posts!

Draft picks are a lot like a new car once you roll it off the lot unfortunately the value diminishes.

He was drafted in the late 2nd round as a slider due to injury (that has since been corrected), and in his first couple of AFL games as well as previous WAFL games has shown great signs that he has what it takes to make it - freo fans think his value is more than what he was drafted at.

If he is homesick and wants to return back to victoria - his value is less than what was initially drafted at.

At the end of the day the best we can probably hope for is a 3rd pick upgraded into the 2nd round. And/or in some kind of package that nets us a returning WA player (McGovern, JJ, Fisher)

But as a freo fan I hope that this isn't a foregone conclusion and we can get him to stay cause I think he will be a very good player. For us or whatever vic club he ends up at.

Would be really sad if we lost him, honestly think he has the most potential of our young guys. Has that real "everything slows down when he has the ball" attribute.

2nd rounder would be amazing because he's only played the four games, hopefully he can get back and increase his value to that.

Like when you are selling/auctioning anything, the highest bidder determines the value. If there is more than one buyer then them bidding against each other pushes the value up. Bennell was cheap because there was only one bidder. Seems a silly comparison to make.

If Balic wanted to be traded then his value would be determined more so on if there are multiple clubs wanting him and then what each of those clubs would be willing to pay. Compared to opposition supporters we've obviously seen a lot more of him - all his AFL games plus his 12 WAFL games that he mostly dominated. So we rate him very highly. A number of respected football people (independent of Freo) have also described him as a future gun of the competition. Apparently his wrist injury was so severe he almost gave up and retired last year (that's why he dropped down the draft order so much).

I think he is likely to be worth a first rounder within 2 years but if a trade were to happen at the end of this year I think an early to mid 2nd rounder is what other clubs sh/would be willing to pay. Of course there is still yet to be any real evidence supporting the claim he will be leaving. The media (and BFers) love some juicy speculation though.

Except in reality, auction only occurs with contracts to Balic. He then selects the club and generally players get there. Other clubs generally don't come back as balic would have rejected them.

I wish players had less power but they don't.

Except in reality, auction only occurs with contracts to Balic. He then selects the club and generally players get there. Other clubs generally don't come back as balic would have rejected them.

I wish players had less power but they don't.
Sure players might nominate a club but I still think the demand for a player from other clubs impacts the trade value (especially in Vic). Maybe one of the few advantages us interstate teams get in that a player coming home only has two potential suitors - if one isn't interested then the other is in a box seat to pay unders. Agree about players having too much power early in their careers. Need to find the balance.

Sure players might nominate a club but I still think the demand for a player from other clubs impacts the trade value (especially in Vic). Maybe one of the few advantages us interstate teams get in that a player coming home only has two potential suitors - if one isn't interested then the other is in a box seat to pay unders. Agree about players having too much power early in their careers. Need to find the balance.

Think u r severely overstating his demand. He isn't a tall and he isn't a treloar.

Think u r severely overstating his demand. He isn't a tall and he isn't a treloar.
wtf? Nobody is saying a first rounder or more. We drafted him for a second rounder. There is more than likely a bunch of clubs who'd want him. There is still a lot of the season left to play (he'll unlikely be on just 4 games by end of season). He's due back at the club next week or the week after I think. He's only 20 and he is clearly B22 for us as he came straight back in after his injury a couple of weeks back. I hope he stays (and still think there is a good chance he will) but if he doesn't then I'd be aiming for a 2nd rounder as I think other clubs would be willing to pay that.

Go read the WHE thread and see what people were saying, its actually a lot like this one!

Caddy had runs, what like Shane Watson?

Freo gave up pick 63 for a 23yo player that couldnt get a regular game due to form, pick 63, that is how you trade!

Now show me where i said anything about a second rounder in return for Balic, ill believe you even if you edit one of my previous posts!

I wasn't referring to you i was referring to the majority of your supporters who are saying they think they will/should get a 2nd rounder for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back