News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

People bag out the pessimists on here. Optimists in here are more painful.

Freo should have paid out his contract last year or even the year before. This is all becoming a massive joke. He's never going to to play more than a few games. Are we just keeping him on for his mental health? Let him go and move on.
They're doing the right thing. People give up so quickly on here. Worst case scenario, he doesn't make it and retires/delisted at the end of the season. I'm backing him in to play at AFL level again this season.

People bag out the pessimists on here. Optimists in here are more painful.

Freo should have paid out his contract last year or even the year before. This is all becoming a massive joke. He's never going to to play more than a few games. Are we just keeping him on for his mental health? Let him go and move on.
Chronic injuries do sometimes clear up well enough to play on. Brock O’Brien looked finished at all levels after basically three years out with persistent quad injuries and getting delisted. Came back managed what 6 or 7 full WAFL seasons?

I reckon he'll play 30-40 games then win us a premiership off his own boot.
If we were contending now he'd be playing IMO.
They're doing the right thing. People give up so quickly on here. Worst case scenario, he doesn't make it and retires/delisted at the end of the season. I'm backing him in to play at AFL level again this season.
I back him 100% at the AFL level, I rate him very highly, I hope he at least plays 50 games for freo, would be disappointing if he didn’t

I believe it's been 2 games now since Ross said Harley's 3/4 weeks away? Hopefully he's lining up for Peel next weekend then and lights it up enough to come in for 40% gametime and 6 goals from Full forward against wet toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rather rest him til 2020 on a base contract than delist him. We have plenty still to turn over on the list and would prefer to retain Bennell if there is even a glimmer of hope of him playing consistently again. He is too good to just give up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turning 26 this year - by 2020 he'd be 28 and could maybe still make an impact (more than most at that age anyway). Any longer and it's too late; I'm going to have to agree with you here.

I'm going to be perfectly honest; if Bennell's career is over by the end of this year I believe his personal life will suffer drastically. We're all accountable for our own lives and it's not Fremantle's responsibility to support him long-term - but I get the feeling even keeping him rookie-listed on an AFL list (and earning a basic salary) would keep him as sure-footed as possible.

Turning 26 this year - by 2020 he'd be 28 and could maybe still make an impact (more than most at that age anyway). Any longer and it's too late; I'm going to have to agree with you here.

I'm going to be perfectly honest; if Bennell's career is over by the end of this year I believe his personal life will suffer drastically. We're all accountable for our own lives and it's not Fremantle's responsibility to support him long-term - but I get the feeling even keeping him rookie-listed on an AFL list (and earning a basic salary) would keep him as sure-footed as possible.

I tend to agree, reckon footy is the only thing keeping him grounded ATM

I initially gave up on him after the bouncer incident thinking well he can't help himself, but am very very surprised he completed the imposed ban and kept himself reasonably fit

Could well be the penny has dropped and he realises what life without footy and the 500K will be like, only time will tell

At the end of the day I'm not sure if he will feature this year and I definitely am not holding my breath, I'll focus on the progression of Brayshaw, Cherry baby, Crourden and North if he get's a gig

I think the bottom line needs to be that he shows something this year. Just as it is with any established player coming out of contract. That "something" needs to include some progress with any personal issues as well as significant progress with injury issues.

I tend to agree, reckon footy is the only thing keeping him grounded ATM

I initially gave up on him after the bouncer incident thinking well he can't help himself, but am very very surprised he completed the imposed ban and kept himself reasonably fit

Could well be the penny has dropped and he realises what life without footy and the 500K will be like, only time will tell

At the end of the day I'm not sure if he will feature this year and I definitely am not holding my breath, I'll focus on the progression of Brayshaw, Cherry baby, Crourden and North if he get's a gig

I keep hearing bad rumours surrounding poor behaviour, but that when he's fit and playing footy it's
He is done. Move on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know something we don’t?

Unfortunately Bennell was like purchasing Bitcoin when it was all the rage. You were excited to own it, you felt superior to those who didn't get any and you envisioned a future of living the high life. Then reality set in...

Somehow Bennell created his own bubble. It's had more 'pops' (excuse the pun) then a geriatric with arthritis that likes to play thumb wars.

Like any true addict that can't release their purchase because of the 'no point selling now' mentality, we wait and hope.

Sadly I agree with a couple of other comments in that we need to hope the youth come through and develop and we discover our own Bennell. The real Bennell? I can't see a bright future. 1 year on a rookie wage is all I'd put back into this investment and even then it would be on the back of getting on the field this season and showing more then he did last year.

My personal last straw was him getting drunk the night before pre-season training and copping 8 weeks. Then someone took that straw and cut it in half when he snapped his calf again. Then someone took the 2 bits of straw and scrunched it up and tossed it over their shoulder when his prognosis got extended YET again.

Unfortunately Bennell was like purchasing Bitcoin when it was all the rage. You were excited to own it, you felt superior to those who didn't get any and you envisioned a future of living the high life. Then reality set in...

Somehow Bennell created his own bubble. It's had more 'pops' (excuse the pun) then a geriatric with arthritis that likes to play thumb wars.

Like any true addict that can't release their purchase because of the 'no point selling now' mentality, we wait and hope.

Sadly I agree with a couple of other comments in that we need to hope the youth come through and develop and we discover our own Bennell. The real Bennell? I can't see a bright future. 1 year on a rookie wage is all I'd put back into this investment and even then it would be on the back of getting on the field this season and showing more then he did last year.

My personal last straw was him getting drunk the night before pre-season training and copping 8 weeks. Then someone took that straw and cut it in half when he snapped his calf again. Then someone took the 2 bits of straw and scrunched it up and tossed it over their shoulder when his prognosis got extended YET again.

Just after I posted this morning I spoke to a coworker who plays league for Perth Demons and he seemed to think HB was still having ‘off-field’ issues most weekend (but not in public if you take my meeting). Didn’t seem to feel he was likely to change anytime soon.

Do hope he’s wrong.

Classic post, I do love a good analogy
I couldn't like it as I personally hope beyond hope HB plays again, but it's a beauty

I'm gonna go out and say this.. if this was say a Matt De Boer or Chris Mayne, we would've just gave up last season or before. It's purely based on Bennell's potential talent right now. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. But it's wishful thinking he ll come back and be a 100 gamer for Freo. I want to be proven wrong though. Think lately with going through a rebuilding phase and Bennell get given a few chances is quite disappointing.

As to the off field stuff, that's down to personal reasons. Playing AFL shouldn't be taken for granted, and instead should be treated as a lifetime opportunity, but seems with going out and that's a night before training, Harley thinks he ll be okay. When clearly it's not. Walters had his chance. Hanged around the same group, interrupted his football. Got a reality check and look at him. He wants to be in the AFL system for as long as possible and be a role model in the prepress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back