News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the messiah but would instantly make the forward line more dangerous. I think he needs 2 more Peel games but his marking is superior to Walters and his kicking is comparable, who would not want to see that and soon!

Sonny works harder on the ground imo, having said that the minute he is ready, in the seniors asap

Sonny works harder on the ground imo, having said that the minute he is ready, in the seniors asap

Could not agree more but Walters is also close to the hardest worker in our team in that regard and that is part of the reason he is in the leaders group. Wouldn't it be fantastic if Harley played enough games in the AFL for Walters to have a positive impact of his work ethic. Dreams are free.

Yeh, he looked very rusty which is to be expected I suppose. It’s his defensive side of his game that worries me a bit. Never that desperate to lay a tackle

Harley didn't lay a tackle from what I saw on the weekend and let his man Litherland run off him. Harley didn't do anything super special on the weekend and Hello he got 8 disposals at WAFL level which doesn't warrant promotion. Most people championing for him to come in soon have been seduced by his talent and performances pre his Docker days which was 2 and a half seasons ago.

Until Harley can chase and tackle in my book he shouldn't be passed fit to play at AFL level.

The kids at least chase and tackle.

If you were watching why wasn't he part of the team and sitting in the stands? Playing only two quarters and given little opportunity is more like how S. Yarran was treated by only getting a few games all year when Dockers were screaming out for a forward.

I think Ross is taking the piss and Bennell's lack of game time screwing with his head.

When I was watching Peel play last year Kersten could hardly get a touch and has never looked the goods in the firsts, but he continually gets called up.

Love how the youngsters are getting a shot but agree with previous posters (except for Cera) that Bennell deserves opportunity ahead of a few of them.

Last edited:
Having spent a couple of years trying to get Harley fit enough give him a decent run at the AFL, let's throw him in off three quarters of a WAFL game and completely f&*#k him up.

When he can comfortably run out a WAFL game and pull up ok, then he's ready for the AFL.

There's a few on reduced game time in the firsts so they may want him to run out a couple?
RTB has clearly been one of Harley's most staunch supporters and from memory he's always said he'd be looking at about a month in the magoos.
Can't take the 'play Harley'/Ross's taking the piss etc brigade seriously at all.
Pointless suggestions about chucking him in next week etc etc ....
He's one of our elite group we want on the park week after week for the next 5 seasons.

With so many players on reduced minutes, does it mean the seniors are more taxed? That must be exhausting over a number of games.
particularly when you add in a few in game injuries (a couple of early ones) - Tabs, Walters, Hamling even ... doesn't leave a lot of time for the big boys on the bench.

particularly when you add in a few in game injuries (a couple of early ones) - Tabs, Walters, Hamling even ... doesn't leave a lot of time for the big boys on the bench.

You’re more prone to injury when you’re tired too, a knee here, a sore heel there. If your can’t carry the weight then you risk falling over.

Agree! The downside risk of including a big proportion of immature bodies in the team week after week will soon become evident. I predict that the injury list will continue to grow as the season progresses and losses to increase in magnitude.

Having spent a couple of years trying to get Harley fit enough give him a decent run at the AFL, let's throw him in off three quarters of a WAFL game and completely f&*#k him up.

When he can comfortably run out a WAFL game and pull up ok, then he's ready for the AFL.
And that should include when he chases and tackles and performs bursts of top speed running during the game.

If you were watching why wasn't he part of the team and sitting in the stands? Playing only two quarters and given little opportunity is more like how Shane Yarran was treated by only getting a few games all year when Dockers were screaming out for a forward.

I think Ross is taking the piss and Bennell's lack of game time screwing with his head.

When I was watching Peel play last year Kersten could hardly get a touch and has never looked the goods in the firsts, but he continually gets called up.

Love how the youngsters are getting a shot but agree with previous posters (except for Cera) that Bennell deserves opportunity ahead of a few of them.
Sorry to correct you but Harley was in the dug out and in front of it for the First qtr only and then played 3 qtrs for the reduced minutes the sports science and medical staff have scheduled him for so I don't know why you think he was only given little opportunity on the weekend.

TK and Lachie Reid. How is sitting in the stands when the team first run out and then sitting down for 30 min after you warm up good for your morale or calf rehab?

I think from his first game when Ross put the Ferrari in the back paddock at Peel where he got kicked in the calf that Bennell will always struggle getting opportunities under Ross.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big part of Afl is durability, I guess it will take time to build his readiness, shouldn't be rushed, and if he gets injured seriously again he has to go sadly. I remember the game where he nearly beat us single handed too and though he is an elite prospect, but some just can't handle it.

A big part of Afl is durability, I guess it will take time to build his readiness, shouldn't be rushed, and if he gets injured seriously again he has to go sadly. I remember the game where he nearly beat us single handed too and though he is an elite prospect, but some just can't handle it.
We will probably move on 8 or more players this year and we have one pick inside the first 4 rounds.

I would much rather the hail mary chance on Harley for another year than a pick 75+ who more thank likely will not be AFL quality. At least you know that in the unlikely event he gets on the park he is quality.

There seem to be two philosophies... one is that our medical team, sport scientist type people play underdone and injured players and pushe them too hard and mean we always have the worst injury list etc and the ones that want Harley to run at full power for the full game after barely playing for three years and then come in and play AFL. Cos if he's not ready now, when will he be? I hope those two classes of posters don't overlap!

There seem to be two philosophies... one is that our medical team, sport scientist type people play underdone and injured players and pushe them too hard and mean we always have the worst injury list etc and the ones that want Harley to run at full power for the full game after barely playing for three years and then come in and play AFL. Cos if he's not ready now, when will he be? I hope those two classes of posters don't overlap!
:oops:

TK and Lachie Reid. How is sitting in the stands when the team first run out and then sitting down for 30 min after you warm up good for your morale or calf rehab?

I think from his first game when Ross put the Ferrari in the back paddock at Peel where he got kicked in the calf that Bennell will always struggle getting opportunities under Ross.

So you think Ross doesn't want to play Harley? Am I reading that right?

That’s very astute of you LFB I was thinking that he was implying RTB had it in for him... but didn’t RTB say if Harley is able to get his leg over the line. RTB would sign him up for another year... as long as they didn’t have to drink to it...

Lesson for Harley.... stay off the turps... keep up the Ballet and Yoga... and you will find that it’s easy to get your leg over!

Dunno. His first game was Ross showing him exactly who the boss was. There was no other on field reason for putting him in the Peel paddock then.
Convenient to say it's in the hands of the sports scientists when I can't find any that recommend calf rehab best practice by warming up then standing around doing nothing for 30 minutes.

I hope I'm wrong but similar happened to S. Yarren when he came to the club with a minor knee injury. Also convenient to claim rehab but RTB didn't want to play him until he was shamed into it by media.

Last edited:
Dunno. His first game was Ross showing him exactly who the boss was. There was no other on field reason for putting him in the Peel paddock then.
Convenient to say it's in the hands of the sports scientists when I can't find any that recommend calf rehab best practice by warming up then standing around doing nothing for 30 minutes.

I hope I'm wrong but similar happened to Shane Yarren when he came to the club with a minor knee injury. Also convenient to claim rehab but RTB didn't want to play him until he was shamed into it by media.
You've absolutely lost the plot mate.

I hope I'm wrong but similar happened to Shane Yarren when he came to the club with a minor knee injury. Also convenient to claim rehab but RTB didn't want to play him until he was shamed into it by media.
Nope - Bennell in 2016 had a disrupted preseason due to... you guessed it the calf. He played his first game back against Geelong, which happened to be the final preseason AFL game in the lead up 2016.

He then played the following week for Peel which was round one WAFL and played quite well kicking 4 goals but yes late in the game copped a kick to the calf.

The WAFL round 1 game was a week off for AFL and he played that WAFL game for for extra match Conditioning. Nothing more to it than that. No showing anyone who the boss. Even Crackdorn had this plan mapped out a few weeks out from round 1 2016.

We will probably move on 8 or more players this year and we have one pick inside the first 4 rounds.

I would much rather the hail mary chance on Harley for another year than a pick 75+ who more thank likely will not be AFL quality. At least you know that in the unlikely event he gets on the park he is quality.
Any more off field indiscretions though, and espite your decent point, I'd still get rid of, he's likely bad for the culture, which in my opinion should be checked before it gets worse and stuffs up what is being built.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back