News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

I thought he was good today in conditions that didn't suit him at all. His mum was in the stands shouting out for him at times (she was in amongst a group of what I assume were family and friends) - love seeing a supporting mum :thumbsu:. He just needs to get through another game or two and they'll line him up at Freo. People will probably wonder why he isn't dominating at WAFL but that's not what we need from him given what he's been through - especially in the wet. He moves like silk in congestion at times - that easy miss on goal was a bit deflating but he played on and kicked another from a much tighter angle not long after.

Not sure how he managed to rack up 5 frees against today?!? His opponents were holding him pretty much at every stoppage.

Sometimes when we hear something, I do not think it needs to be shared on social media. I think this week in particular, we should show some constraint\thought\respect. I am sure posts are shared with the best of intentions, however sometimes, if a player does not declare something to the media, I do not think it our place to share it either.

Full game from Harley and mainly through the midfield.

Not massive numbers but lots of clean skills and would instantly make our team better.

I hope he is an in next game. There is no reason he couldn't play as a forward at least.

Minutes, stats, numbers... Football generally is a simple game... If hb is fit can we play him as he is one of our most talented. If he struggles fitness wise we have the forward pocket or the interchange bench.

What is the most consecutive games Harley has played at peel? This feels like a good outcome if he is genuinely building.

Sometimes when we hear something, I do not think it needs to be shared on social media. I think this week in particular, we should show some constraint\thought\respect. I am sure posts are shared with the best of intentions, however sometimes, if a player does not declare something to the media, I do not think it our place to share it either.

agreed.

I'd wait one more before getting a game at Freo. Don't risk him on Etihad Stadium next week.
He also needs one more WAFL game to qualify for finals with the new rules being that you have to play 5 in total including 3 games after June 30. Although it looks unlikely Peel will make it with their loss this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today's update from RTB:

Lyon also said Harley Bennell himself had not believed he was quite ready to face the Hawks, despite another promising performance at Peel last weekend.

Bennell could play his first AFL game of 2018 in the western derby next weekend.

“He was the first to say ‘I think I need another game down there, I need to improve my football’, so that’s coming from Harley,” Lyon said.

“But we like the durability. We like that he’s stacked up another game and another training session. When it’s coming from Harley himself, saying ‘I’ve got plenty of improvement’. We always listen to our players.

“He’s a pretty good measuring stick. On the back of this weekend he will certainly be more available in a conditioning sense than he has been.

“We considered him this week but we need his form to get a bit better and his run to get a bit better so at the end of the day you pick yourself. I don’t think anyone thinks Harley is flying, he would be flying and we would leave him out, that doesn’t make sense. He’s still working through it but it’s really building so that’s good.”

Bennell, Fyfe, Tom North, Crowden, Brayshaw, Neale, Mundy, Banfield, Cerra, 2 or 3 Hills etc is starting to look very handy indeed.
Harley fit and available's a big jigsaw piece and kudos to the club if and when it's a reality....
Wish him every success in what's hopefully the final stages of long term and complete rehab.

Today's update from RTB:

Lyon also said Harley Bennell himself had not believed he was quite ready to face the Hawks, despite another promising performance at Peel last weekend.

Bennell could play his first AFL game of 2018 in the western derby next weekend.

“He was the first to say ‘I think I need another game down there, I need to improve my football’, so that’s coming from Harley,” Lyon said.

“But we like the durability. We like that he’s stacked up another game and another training session. When it’s coming from Harley himself, saying ‘I’ve got plenty of improvement’. We always listen to our players.

“He’s a pretty good measuring stick. On the back of this weekend he will certainly be more available in a conditioning sense than he has been.

“We considered him this week but we need his form to get a bit better and his run to get a bit better so at the end of the day you pick yourself. I don’t think anyone thinks Harley is flying, he would be flying and we would leave him out, that doesn’t make sense. He’s still working through it but it’s really building so that’s good.”

Bennell, Fyfe, Tom North, Crowden, Brayshaw, Neale, Mundy, Banfield, Cerra, 2 or 3 Hills etc is starting to look very handy indeed.
Harley fit and available's a big jigsaw piece and kudos to the club if and when it's a reality....
Wish him every success in what's hopefully the final stages of long term and complete rehab.
I have to disagree with Ross.

At Peel, opposition illegally hold him off the ball. His form going by the stats is patchy but for me class is class.

Better to play Bennell than Sutcliffe.

I have to disagree with Ross.

At Peel, opposition illegally hold him off the ball. His form going by the stats is patchy but for me class is class.

Better to play Bennell than Sutcliffe.

100% right. There is absolutely no point in him being 'fit' but playing for Peel. We arent finals bound, so why cant he "improve" in Purple?

Bennell literally said he needs one more and people here are still brandishing the pitchforks.
Must have missed the presser, when did Harley say that?

It’s how the article that was quoted opened:

Controversial midfielder not ready to return for third game in purplehttp://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-27/docker-rules-himself-out-from-facing-hawks
Article quotes Lyon. When did Bennell speak to the media?

Beats me, but it’s the same article. Why believe one part of it but not the other?
I don't believe any of it.

Read it again. Lyon has ruled him out on form.

I don't believe any of it.

Read it again. Lyon has ruled him out on form.

You said you don’t believe any of yet but you’re still believing the bit where Lyon says he ruled him out? So which is it?

It’s poorly written to not have attributed Harley if he’s ruled himself out. And if that’s poorly written then I’m not going to get upset about the proceeding copy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back