Scandal Harley Bennell drunk and disorderly in Surfers Paradise over the weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

If this was Libba jnr I somehow think the OP would have avoided it completely. Newsworthy when it happens to a player from another club, but shhhh don't say a thing if it happens to one of our players.
Exactly, OP says "would you want this bloke at your club?" ummm Libba? And I for one again dont give a toss about what libba is up to but if the OP has a particular problem with the way youngsters are behaving in the AFL then at least look in your own backyard first.

I think it's more about him getting into situations which are doing him no favours.

He has some off field issues, and the very first night of the post season and he finds trouble.

The situation isn't that big of a deal, but he is very consistent with his behavior which clubs do not like.

A photo from 3 years ago and being drunk in the offseason... s**t send him to jail

a non story. he's played his last game for the year and should be allowed to go out and enjoy his early twenties ffs. what a joke. he's a lose unit. not a big deal imo unless he's got a game coming up.

What a nothing story, young bloke gets gassed and has a tiff with a bouncer, how is this news? Jesus christ what sort of world do we live in these days? OP is the sort of person who perpetuates this ridiculous way of thinking.
agree 100%

a non story. he's played his last game for the year and should be allowed to go out and enjoy his early twenties ffs. what a joke. he's a lose unit. not a big deal imo unless he's got a game coming up.
I agree it's not much of a story, but I don't get this attitude. He's finished his season, so he's allowed to get aggressive while out on the town and get into a confrontation with a bouncer? No, that behaviour isn't acceptable for you, me or Bennell. That's not how I define enjoying your 20s and having a good time.

"You know, I remember this one time I dropped cigarette ash on Antoine's carpet. He made me pick it up with my anus."

Deuce Bigalow FTW

OP it seems people jumped on the hate bandwagon, sorry mate.

As far as i know Bennell was arrested and charged, regardless of the incident its simply another in a long list of off field antics.

How does it not deserve a thread? If anything at the least its made the club issue a statement and clubs are now going to be even more careful about any potential trades for HB, either that or try get him on the cheap.

AFL players are put on a pedestal and are seen as role models, make fantastic money and are living the life that most of us could only dream of.

15-20yrs ago maybe. Now you have reviews during the week, train 5-6 times, zero social life during the season, can't go out in public without being harassed (people yelling s**t out or having to sign autographs), doing football clinics as part of your contract, if you're an Interstate player you travel every second week and some have families.

It shows that you can't even go to Surfers, get on the piss and play up a little like the rest of society does. If that wasn't Bennell it still would've made headlines. So as far as 'living the life that most of us could only dream of'.........you can have it. From the outside looking in, being an AFL footballer isn't anywhere as enticing as it was 15-20yrs ago. You earn good money yes, but do you really get to enjoy it during your career, I'd suggest not.

Tough gig being an AFL footballer in this day and age. I understand they sign up for it but I don't think it's all beer and skittles. 80's through to early 2000's sign me up. Now you can stick it up your arse with everything that comes with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15-20yrs ago maybe. Now you have reviews during the week, train 5-6 times, zero social life during the season, can't go out in public without being harassed (people yelling s**t out or having to sign autographs), doing football clinics as part of your contract, if you're an Interstate player you travel every second week and some have families.

It shows that you can't even go to Surfers, get on the piss and play up a little like the rest of society does. If that wasn't Bennell it still would've made headlines. So as far as 'living the life that most of us could only dream of'.........you can have it. From the outside looking in, being an AFL footballer isn't anywhere as enticing as it was 15-20yrs ago. You earn good money yes, but do you really get to enjoy it during your career, I'd suggest not.

Tough gig being an AFL footballer in this day and age. I understand they sign up for it but I don't think it's all beer and skittles. 80's through to early 2000's sign me up. Now you can stick it up your arse with everything that comes with it.
My heart bleeds for them.

They are still living a pretty damn good life.

I agree it's not much of a story, but I don't get this attitude. He's finished his season, so he's allowed to get aggressive while out on the town and get into a confrontation with a bouncer? No, that behaviour isn't acceptable for you, me or Bennell. That's not how I define enjoying your 20s and having a good time.
he's obviously got some issues but so did I when i was his age. he didn't do it in season so i don't think it's fair that he is penalised for it.

also, a lot of bouncers are dickheads.

It's a story because of his past, Maybe give it a week then celebrate in Thailand or Vegas or something, Did he have to get pissed 1 day later lol?

I've never met a bouncer where I didn't think "*, I'd love to slap the cigarette out of that campaigner's hand"

he's obviously got some issues but so did I when i was his age. he didn't do it in season so i don't think it's fair that he is penalised for it.

also, a lot of bouncers are dickheads.
Yeah a lot of bouncers are dickheads and we all did stupid s**t when we were younger, we seem to miss the fact he was arrested and charged though. I think it might be a little more than just knocking a smoke from a bouncers hand.

has a player ever been kicked out of a club the year they win the b&f? gotta think harley is a serious chance. aaron hall and tom lynch had good years but gotta think bennell is the front runner...

They had a misunderstanding like many do in society. You make out like he gave the bouncer a flogging.

Settle pet, it's life and it happens.

He'd be mad not to go to Hawthorn, if all the captain gets is a $5000 fine for going DUI then Harley should able to get away with murder for them...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back