News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep pretty much that. We will agree to pay some (but probably not all) of what he would get if he stayed on for the full length of the contract. And he doesn't have to show up to work anymore. You reckon there would be additional conditions like: he can access club medical staff for rehab purposes and he can't sue us later for termination

Maybe the Hawks would be interested? They like to back themselves in when it comes to rehab-iing injured players. Maybe no-one. His last significant football was a long time ago.

I think Carlton recruited Hawks fitness guru this year, so perhaps they’re a chance. Maybe we could keep in touch with Jarrod Pickett and do a “decided to part ways” swap.

Good luck to Harley. He’s worked so hard to get himself right so I really hope he makes it, even if it’s for another team.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude, gotta feel for the guy, not good to see a guy not to get a fair run at doing something he loves due to no fault of his own other than having a body that is not up to it.

People will blame medical staff, which is in my opinion unfair, some guys just have a body that is not up to the rigours of AFL footy, would be nice to see him get back to AFL , but with how risk adverse clubs are now, sadly for him he will most likely not get another chance.

Sorry to intrude, gotta feel for the guy, not good to see a guy not to get a fair run at doing something he loves due to no fault of his own other than having a body that is not up to it.

People will blame medical staff, which is in my opinion unfair, some guys just have a body that is not up to the rigours of AFL footy, would be nice to see him get back to AFL , but with how risk adverse clubs are now, sadly for him he will most likely not get another chance.
Yeah you're good mate, thanks for the kind and genuine words. I'm also sorry to hear about Naitanui too mate, if he's out for the rest of the season then that's honestly ******* dreadful, he's such a talent and it's sad watching him get injured when it's looking like he's getting back into it.

Yeah you're good mate, thanks for the kind and genuine words. I'm also sorry to hear about Naitanui too mate, if he's out for the rest of the season then that's honestly ******* dreadful, he's such a talent and it's sad watching him get injured when it's looking like he's getting back into it.

All good, if you take joy out of seeing players getting injured and not being able to play regardless of who they play for, then i would say you are a sad individual.

All good, if you take joy out of seeing players getting injured and not being able to play regardless of who they play for, then i would say you are a sad individual.
Yeah I completely agree, shame some idiots on this site don't share the same views.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep pretty much that. We will agree to pay some (but probably not all) of what he would get if he stayed on for the full length of the contract. And he doesn't have to show up to work anymore. You reckon there would be additional conditions like: he can access club medical staff for rehab purposes and he can't sue us later for termination

Maybe the Hawks would be interested? They like to back themselves in when it comes to rehab-iing injured players. Maybe no-one. His last significant football was a long time ago.
I think it's more likely to be pay out full contract and more in return for not making a claim against the club's S&C department.

I think there's hope if a club did take him on for a more successful rehab following the principles that were posted on here by the Hawks follower. He may be like a Cyril was for the Hawks with different training, key indicators required and playing positions than we had for Harley.

Get a room you two:think:

Richmond if anyone will get him on the park. Right next to Stack, Bolton, Rioli, Eggmollesse-Smith, Pickett.
There is reportedly a Vic club that has a medical team who want Harley to have surgery at the calf tendon insertion behind the knee, with an 8-week recovery.

I’m guessing he will have the surgery and then rehab and put himself forward for ND, RD, SSP in March and mid-season draft.

I’m guessing his best bet is 1-year contract via RD in late Nov or more likely the SSP between Feb-Mar (which is also the rookie list) after training with this not-named team (cough...cough...Richmond). This is guess work from a few different reports so grain of salt etc.

The guy whilst an elite talent has played 2 games since late 2015 season. He will also be turning 28 in 2020.

Well, that sucks. He seemed to work really hard on getting back onto the park, but it just wasn't meant to be.

So Harley has had his surgery and was deemed a success. If he comes back (and I hope he does) and dominates for another club I will be fuming. I imagine Ross will tell our fitness staff to take a hike if it happens also. Very conflicting emotions if he gets on the park for another club.

So Harley has had his surgery and was deemed a success. If he comes back (and I hope he does) and dominates for another club I will be fuming. I imagine Ross will tell our fitness staff to take a hike if it happens also. Very conflicting emotions if he gets on the park for another club.
Your assuming ross will still be here

Agree. Makes you think what rock has the FFC been under that it didn't know about this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back