News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

what are the chances we redraft him in RD?
I would be a seriously pissed off supporter if he plays for another club next year and does well.
If he does then it would be time for the pitchforks to come out and the hordes to assemble at the club to demand complete rebuild of the clubs football department!

He's after a contract !!! He's like the dude that tries to sell the Harbour Bridge, but in the fine print there ain't no delivery

Wish all the best for the guy. Sad to see him so struck down by injury, but hope that he can get back to his peak form. Hope he tears it up wherever he ends up.

I wish him all the best too but as a Freo supporter If he comes back with another team and tears it up I will seriously lose my sh**

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wish him all the best too but as a Freo supporter If he comes back with another team and tears it up I will seriously lose my sh**

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah it'll be a tough pill to swallow if he tears it up elsewhere that's for sure, but as longs he's out playing footy then I'm happy.

One serious question is why didn't we try this procedure? Not once in 4 years? We rehabbed the same way each time bar same ballet and scooters? Got the same result each time? Even if it fails, why did we not leave every stone unturned in finding a solution for him?
Turned out to be more than one question, sorry.

What surgery is this?

If he actually manages to play a meaningful ampuont of games at any level then we should just burn the club to the ground and start again.

I think this is just a bit of false hope though. Guess we'll find out when the Hawks trade rumours start popping up.

Yeah I think I’ll hold my judgement till he actually plays another AFL game...
or at least 3.

Lol(Colin young comments)

Agree with the conflicting emotions tho...loved to see him make it back but ummm errr yeeeeaaaah not sure how my sanity would go if he did!

One serious question is why didn't we try this procedure? Not once in 4 years? We rehabbed the same way each time bar same ballet and scooters? Got the same result each time? Even if it fails, why did we not leave every stone unturned in finding a solution for him?
Turned out to be more than one question, sorry.
What surgery is this?

If he actually manages to play a meaningful ampuont of games at any level then we should just burn the club to the ground and start again.

I think this is just a bit of false hope though. Guess we'll find out when the Hawks trade rumours start popping up.
If it is the procedure I think where the tendons connecting the calf muscles to his bones are removed and reattached at a slightly better spot.

Actually, reading it sounds like they may have debrided the calf which I have seen on tendons for degenerative conditions where the tissue is scraped raw removing the scar tissue, to free up the muscle and they will potentially do the procedure above once that has healed up.

If his body isn't up to AFL football then this is his last best hope for continuing his paid career. He will have the chance to be running around the park, but no chance at playing multiple games back to back to back that might show a flaw.

I hope for football's sake that Bennell is fixed. I hope Ross Lyon throws a newspaper showing Bennell running around with Peel in the preseason down onto our medical team's desk and gives them a spray. Then we pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing and training at WAFL wasn’t and isn’t the problem. It was the high standard that he had to get to to be an AFL player that was the problem.

If HB's baby cows are fixed...
1. I'm seriously happy for the bloke. With skill/talent like that he deserves to be running around at the highest level and he's been through the ringer trying to get himself fit time after time, on top of now being a new father I hope it all works out.
2. If it's all systems go from here then the ENTIRE S&C department should be put on notice at the very least if not entirely cleaned out.
3. Pains me to say it but IF his baby cows are all good and he's cooking with gas by next year... He WILL NOT be at Freo next year. Why would the bloke even entertain coming back to a club that has all but ended his career? What a waste. I'm a staunch freo supporter and have been since the clubs inception but fair dinkum I'm just about at the end of my tether. Just another example of how we can't get our number 2's together.

what are the chances we redraft him in RD?
I would be a seriously pi**ed off supporter if he plays for another club next year and does well.
If he does then it would be time for the pitchforks to come out and the hordes to assemble at the club to demand complete rebuild of the clubs football department!
Lol, better chance of Freo going back to back in '19/20.

If HB's baby cows are fixed...
1. I'm seriously happy for the bloke. With skill/talent like that he deserves to be running around at the highest level and he's been through the ringer trying to get himself fit time after time, on top of now being a new father I hope it all works out.
2. If it's all systems go from here then the ENTIRE S&C department should be put on notice at the very least if not entirely cleaned out.
3. Pains me to say it but IF his baby cows are all good and he's cooking with gas by next year... He WILL NOT be at Freo next year. Why would the bloke even entertain coming back to a club that has all but ended his career? What a waste. I'm a staunch freo supporter and have been since the clubs inception but fair dinkum I'm just about at the end of my tether. Just another example of how we can't get our number 2's together.
BY my reckoning we would have paid him over $1m for the 4 years for 2 games, so +$500k a game....maybe he might feels he owes us something.

I come in peace.

It appears the a Geelong based Surgeon has identified Bennells extra Gastrocnemius muscle and he's had it removed by another surgeon.

SO my question is this - injury aside and im not ploughing thru 131 pages - is he really a dumpster fire as the external press would have you believe or can he play and would he be an asset to a club.

I"m not intersted in the scuttlebutt and pre Freo stuff - just what you blokes saw and expereienced in his time there.

If we draft him, it will be late in the process. We have 36 and wont use that on him IMO - it will be split for a pick in the 50s and something in 2020.

Any thoughts appreicated - and if its the wrong spot - Mods feel free to move it.

GO Catters

I come in peace.

It appears the a Geelong based Surgeon has identified Bennells extra Gastrocnemius muscle and he's had it removed by another surgeon.

SO my question is this - injury aside and im not ploughing thru 131 pages - is he really a dumpster fire as the external press would have you believe or can he play and would he be an asset to a club.

I"m not intersted in the scuttlebutt and pre Freo stuff - just what you blokes saw and expereienced in his time there.

If we draft him, it will be late in the process. We have 36 and wont use that on him IMO - it will be split for a pick in the 50s and something in 2020.

Any thoughts appreicated - and if its the wrong spot - Mods feel free to move it.

GO Catters

My view. He can obviously play and if managed correctly he’ll perform at AFL level again. Regarding his off field behaviour he’s definitely been a negative in the past but he’s been ok for a little while now and seems to have matured as a Dad. If you get him very late and cheap, he’s definitely worth the punt.

I come in peace.

GO Catters
Thought he could be picked up as a delisted free agent?
His upside is huge. No doubt if the fitness team can keep him fit and on the park. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got given a proper diagnosis and run.
Freo’s S&C/fitness team stuffed this up tbh.

I come in peace.

GO Catters
As what the other posters have said, I dont think the off field issues are the problem.

the 2 off off field incidents he had with freo was Alcohol Related.

One was when he was supposed to take a flight to go to a surgeon in the eastern states but was too drunk to go.

The other incident was during a WAFL game. Yes it was Half time during a Peel Thunder game he was chatting to one of his cousins either traye or ryan bennell. It being injured wasnt good for his mental health, which caused him to drink Alcohol. All he wanted to do was go out there and play footy again. Fortunately he hasnt done anything bad off field in the las 12-18 months. Seems unlikey to do that now after having a kid.

He is worth a late/PSD pick or Rookie pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back