News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty hardcore surgery maybe ? If it had gone pear shaped would he have held the club liable?
Getting the surgery done himself was maybe the only option.
Hope he gets a club & game time.
He has a young family & does not seem to have a great deal going for him anywhere else.

Pretty hardcore surgery maybe ? If it had gone pear shaped would he have held the club liable?
Hope he gets a club & game time.
He has a young family & does not seem to have a great deal going for him anywhere else.
Pretty close to the money I reckon. Fremantle’s medical team and the extensive external surgeons resourced for opinions didn’t think the HB surgery was warranted nor have a positive prognosis. Harley sought out the Geelong bloke and thought otherwise. Then a mutual agreement to delist Harley meant he was free to do what he wanted in terms of medical treatment.

For Harley it was case of rolling the dice.Paul Haselby said that those he has connections to down at Freo (no idea who) are sceptical about the potential success of the HB surgery.

At the end of the day all you can go by is the medical experts. The Surgeon’s Freo use didn’t recommend his more radical procedure. If it works well done Harley and Yes we should question our medical team but doesn’t mean they were wrong or incompetent.

I have heard that the usual foot surgeon didn’t recommend pinning Hogan’s Navicular. So we sought an alternative opinion. Time will tell but in Hogan’s case you can’t just keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. Guess you could say perhaps some lessons learned from HB - although we have tried quite a few different things so maybe not the most relevant example.

I will never, ever forgive out S&C team if he gets up and running for another club

We had an absolute gem

Just the fact that it took a week after he left Freo for someone to diagnose that he had an extra muscle in his calf that our S+C had missed for what, 4 years? That alone is grounds to sack the whole lot of them.

Yep. These are my exact thoughts .

Just the fact that it took a week after he left Freo for someone to diagnose that he had an extra muscle in his calf that our S+C had missed for what, 4 years? That alone is grounds to sack the whole lot of them.

Where's this thing about an extra muscle coming from? Everything I've read said he's just had some muscle that was rubbing on nerve tissue removed.

It'll be a cold conversation between their recruiting and conditioning team. I wouldn't want to commit to him without having seen him able to sustain the workload, but that might mean he breaks down again.
He’s not training with the Dee’s until Dec so that throws DFA, ND and Rookie drafts out the window. He’ll nominate for the Supplemental selection period draft. I remember hearing or reading a report that he won’t be ready to get involved in heavier training/running until Jan so not sure he’ll do much more than gym sessions and a bit of jogging in Dec. if all goes well for HB he’ll join the Dee’s in late Feb/March.

As such the Dee’s will leave a Rookie list spot open for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like seeing an ex-girlfriend you were in love with and she's now really happy with a guy you know is a douche bag.

Yeah, except you know that it never would have worked out with her no matter how much you loved her and when you think about it then you realise it probably won't work out with those two either, no matter how happy they look together.

Bennel did modified training with us too. It was as soon as he started any intensity that things blew up. Over and over and over....

Hope his high risk surgery paid off for him and he gets another chance.

Hopefully for his sake they’ll play him without making him do all of the intense stuff plus play 14 games of WAFL before being considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back