News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
It feels like seeing an ex-girlfriend you were in love with and she's now really happy with a guy you know is a douche bag.

True - although we never got to experience the best part of the relationship. It's like we tied the knot but were never able to consummate the marriage. If they do get married and do consummate - good for Harley and Melbourne but I will be jealous.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It feels like seeing an ex-girlfriend you were in love with and she's now really happy with a guy you know is a douche bag.

Except in this case it was you (us) who was the douche bag since we failed for years at fixing his issues. And as soon as he dumped us he got the help he needed.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I have no hard feelings towards Bennell at all. He did what we asked. But If he gets up and about it will be very hard for me to trust our medical team for a long time.... Angel on my one shoulder says he should get a fair shake but the Devil on my other shoulder says it would erode my trust in my team so hopefully he doesn’t get on the park. Damn life is complicated.

Ultimately he deserves to tear it up and use his innate talents. Best of luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He deserves a shot at an AFL career after all he's been through, but I will definitely still be bitter if he gets a clean run of footy at Melbourne.
I’m already waiting for the comments of “why did Freo let him go” etc etc, after we got s**t for years for having him on the list.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys worked way too hard not to get back to playing AFL footy.
Gotta take your hat off to him really, we had our chance and f**ked it so there's no right to be salty towards a guy just trying to make a living from something hes clearly got freakish talents at.
The whole comp will be better for him getting back to his best, as well his life and his family's lives.
Got nothing but respect for a man willing to work this hard and keep coming back setback after setback.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
If another team can get him right then we'd deserve it and then some.
Let’s be fair here and accept that the procedure he has undertaken was apparently at high risk and done when not under contract to any club. He has not even started running yet so I think its premature to be laying blame anywhere. Freo sent him to the apparent best in the world when it comes to calf issues without luck so I think its not entirely fair to suggest that if he gets better as a result of some radical procedure we should be upset at S&C. This was at high risk from all accounts would certainly have placed the club at some risk of a claim by Bennel in the future.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let’s be fair here and accept that the procedure he has undertaken was apparently at high risk and done when not under contract to any club. He has not even started running yet so I think its premature to be laying blame anywhere. Freo sent him to the apparent best in the world when it comes to calf issues without luck so I think its not entirely fair to suggest that if he gets better as a result of some radical procedure we should be upset at S&C. This was at high risk from all accounts would certainly have placed the club at some risk of a claim by Bennel in the future.
Yep, let’s see if he has a career from now on before we gather the lynch mob.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
If another team can get him right then we'd deserve it and then some.
but then the question becomes who's "we". JLo never had him, neither did Garlick. Bell tried to off load him the minute he set foot at Freo. Players don't get a say. Supporters had no say. Many on here have been saying delist/move on for a fair while. Would be interesting to see how the media would try and word it because JLo, Bell and Garlick would just be going :shrug:

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
but then the question becomes who's "we". JLo never had him, neither did Garlick. Bell tried to off load him the minute he set foot at Freo. Players don't get a say. Supporters had no say. Many on here have been saying delist/move on for a fair while. Would be interesting to see how the media would try and word it because JLo, Bell and Garlick would just be going :shrug:

If one of our clubs leaders went, :shrug: it was the other guy I'd be extremely pissed off.

They are in positions of authority and influence and what they should say is that they knew this was an issue (if indeed there is one) and that they have done/are doing something about it so it doesn't happen again.

:shrug: doesn't cut it imo.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is what I want:

- For Bennell to recover and redeem himself by playing amazing, scintillating AFL football for a Melbourne-based club (for exposure).
- For that club to improve but never win a Grand Final while he plays for them.
- For us to win a Grand Final without his help.

In fact this is the only happy option.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Intriguing to see Melbourne hire Burgess. He’s been underseeing Harley’s program.
If anything, he ll enable Harley to get match fit and lean more then Weber IMO.
He needs a low intensity low volume game plan and role

Which is at odds of the burgess mantra at Port so interesting to see

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
This is what I want:

- For Bennell to recover and redeem himself by playing amazing, scintillating AFL football for a Melbourne-based club (for exposure).
- For that club to improve but never win a Grand Final while he plays for them.
- For us to win a Grand Final without his help.

In fact this is the only happy option.

OOORRRR...
We win a grand final without him,
The following year he wins the norm smith and wins the GF, thanking Freo as well as his new team for support.
We then win the next 8 flags.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
They have basically removed a section of his calf. The chances that it heals in such a way that the scar tissue will not tear under stress, or in turn cause instabilities that will lead to tears, is not 100%, but it's close to it.
If he had received some miracle cure that was obvious to all but the medical professionals employed by our club he would already be on Hawthorns list, not training with someone desperate like the Dees.

Back