Free Agency Harley Bennell [joins Melbourne as a delisted free agent]

From everything that I've seen and read he doesn't have to nominate and even the AFL website report agrees.

The fact that he's agreed to train with Melbourne further pushes this or else what's the point of announcing it? Would be quite strange that he's agreed to start training with Melbourne in December.

Bear in mind with the mid season draft a player is not eligible for it unless he nominated for a draft the year before..the question would be whether the SSP has the same rule..only the afl would know for sure.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
He has to nominate for at least the PSD and rookie drafts doesnt he? or under the rules he isnt eligible for the SSP as he was never in the draft pool.

Nope . It is complicated, but now he is ours to list or say no thanks to. But from 1 Dec he will be paid to train with us until we pick him up around Feb. If he had have kept his options open the he would have to put himself in the draft. It's an odd system, but the basic thing is he is ours to take or discard.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because i thought the SSP only applied to players who nominated for a draft in the last 2 years. Bennell didnt nominate last year so he would have to nominate this year though i could be wrong. That article doesnt really tell us one way or the other.

I thought the same, but someone pointed out that players last year were withdrawing from the draft so they could be SSP selections. Ie Brooksby, Wagner and Weller.

I thought the same, but someone pointed out that players last year were withdrawing from the draft so they could be SSP selections. Ie Brooksby, Wagner and Weller.

But those players had nominated for the draft the year before so maybe you can only bypass the draft if you have done that? Only the afl knows really though.

He has to nominate for at least the PSD and rookie drafts doesnt he? or under the rules he isnt eligible for the SSP as he was never in the draft pool.
Delisted players from the previous 2 years do not have to.
Players never been on an AFL list must be overlooked from the national draft.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne
But those players had nominated for the draft the year before so maybe you can only bypass the draft if you have done that? Only the afl knows really though.
Weller was a listed player at st kilda. Did you read the article?

"Players who were previously listed and then cut or who have spent a year out of the AFL since retirement or delisting themselves no longer have to enter the draft to find their way to a new club."

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Looks like the surgery was not 100% , Shame for this bloke as he is an unbelievable talent
"
Injury-prone former Docker Harley Bennell reportedly cops another calf setback during pre-season training with Melbourne Demons
The West Australian
Saturday, 25 January 2020 12:00PM

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Looks like the surgery was not 100% , Shame for this bloke as he is an unbelievable talent
"
Injury-prone former Docker Harley Bennell reportedly cops another calf setback during pre-season training with Melbourne Demons
The West Australian
Saturday, 25 January 2020 12:00PM

It's only minor, it was never going to be a straight shot back.

They'll have to build him up over time, there's going to be bumps in the road.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Think it is over for him shame but a relief for our sports and medical guys

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given that people who went to training saw him leave training early Monday but then saw him training on Wednesday looking fine I'm inclined to believe it was nothing at all unless something happened at the closed session Friday but I imagine the club would've commented on that if it were the case.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Think it is over for him shame but a relief for our sports and medical guys

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I think he's done. That he tweaked his calf in training would indicate he's still a long way from his body being game ready. Too big a risk I reckon to be taking up a list spot.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I like Harley.
I have this strange feeling we could have fixed him and won him a couple of flags. All he had to do was turn up to training on time and he couldn’t manage that.

Oh well, like Deledio he made his own decision. I hope it works out for him.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given that people who went to training saw him leave training early Monday but then saw him training on Wednesday looking fine I'm inclined to believe it was nothing at all unless something happened at the closed session Friday but I imagine the club would've commented on that if it were the case.
Been there done that

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Hope he gets back and rips it up.

Too talented to be lost to the game.
Takes more talent to make it in the AFL and I think the last two years has shown Harley want he needs to do. He went from a top 2 pick to jobless. Probably the kick up the arse he needed. Hopefully he plays a few games

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Takes more talent to make it in the AFL and I think the last two years has shown Harley want he needs to do. He went from a top 2 pick to jobless. Probably the kick up the arse he needed. Hopefully he plays a few games
What are you talking about?
it's almost like you know nothing about Harley. His problem has been injuries. His desire to succeed and the understanding of the work needed to get there has never faulted.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

He has been ruled out for half the year - those saying he was fine missed something.

Back