News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Always going to be the case.
Ross said in yesterday's presser it was effectively a 'make or break' extension.
Went on the emphasise the need for Harley to be meticulous with his fitness and continued strengthening over the off season.

The financial adjustment would be significant.
If he's over the worst and gets going on the park for us everyone's persistence is rewarded.
Failing that, every effort has been made and he'll prolly have a WAFL career.

yep. the past 3y would have been good coin for mostly not playing. Nice if you can get it.

But, this contract would be pretty small you'd imagine and not much cost to Freo, except maybe in the medical department.

So, cost of a junior/rookie, and with about as much potential for getting on the park and being a star. Better than replacing him with a pick 120+

We’re either desperately trying to get some return on what to date has been a disastrous investment or are throwing more good money after bad. Time will tell.

I wonder why now and not in 2 weeks? It’s like they didn’t learn with Apeness. I hope it plays out differently.
My read on this mass amount of signings is to clear up the confusion in the lead-up to round 23. Avoiding a scenario like North a few years ago, where the last week and the last game (I think a finals loss from memory) was a PR disaster.

Expect the Sandi signing next week or at least a press release that it is fait accompli.

If all goes well for Bennell this weekend he will get a chance along with D.Pearce and M.Johnson. They will roll out Spurr for a lap after the game with those two and there will be lots of love and there will be no confusion and awkwardness around Ballantyne.

Not sure if Sandi will play but it is less necessary now in the knowledge he will go on for one more season.

My read on this mass amount of signings is to clear up the confusion in the lead-up to round 23. Avoiding a scenario like North a few years ago, where the last week and the last game (I think a finals loss from memory) was a PR disaster.

Expect the Sandi signing next week or at least a press release that it is fait accompli.

If all goes well for Bennell this weekend he will get a chance along with D.Pearce and M.Johnson. They will roll out Spurr for a lap after the game with those two and there will be lots of love and there will be no confusion and awkwardness around Ballantyne.

Not sure if Sandi will play but it is less necessary now in the knowledge he will go on for one more season.

I thought Sandi had already signed on?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...lay-on-at-freo-next-year-20180816-p4zxrq.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from west aust
while Bennell started the game brightly before fading in the second half and finishing the match on the interchange having played his restricted minutes.

from west aust
while Bennell started the game brightly before fading in the second half and finishing the match on the interchange having played his restricted minutes.

sounds like a perfect in for next week, he can play well for the first quarter and then go to sleep like 75% of our side after quarter time.

Our latest resigning's all lit it up today , Sandi didn't play (so not his fault), Ballas got 4 possessions and Bennell had an average type game at WAFL level. WOO HOO!! I am getting a little snarky sorry

giphy.gif

The link was the same article in the West which contradicts itself. Early in the article it says Bennell had a bright start but then went off with calf tightness and didn’t return. Then later in the same article it stated that he was on restricted mins.

It shows that The West author wasn’t at the game. This happens with their live articles. Where an early release article mentions one thing and then the information is clarified but just combined with the same earlier article.

Go with the posters who were there. He played ok early but was terrible in the second half. Not a single touch in the last quarter and one contest in the 4th where he squibbed an uncontested mark and missed a tackle on the turnover. Cam Shepherd probably dragged him after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back