News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

No I'm not concerned at all because if the club though it was an issue then something would have been done about it like the last time. Seems to me that it was a slow news day and the whole thing was blown out of proportion. Maybe as his mate he took Harley home to prevent an actual incident from occurring and they left the club.

The 'incident' was never explained, only that Harley was with a group of people who were asked to leave. If there was something actually there it would've been reported by now and Harley would be wearing a WAFL Guernsey for the rest of his career.
More or less my thoughts too

Isn’t it a bit curious that Matera’s name was not mentioned once in the media hysteria around this ‘incident’?

I agree that Harley needs to pull his head in and pay back the faith (and the serious $$$) that Freo have given him, but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have been the only AFL player letting his hair down in public over the break. I would even bet that there were far drunker people at OBH at the time he was evicted.

The guy has a target on his back when it comes to the media in Perth. To insinuate that Matera should be smarter than to go out to a pub with Harley or face sanction is perplexing to me. Why wasn’t Matera dragged through the media for his part in the incident? Oh yeah, that’s right because it wasn’t a noteworthy incident bar the fact one H. Bennell was in the group.

I honestly can’t believe this is still getting talked about. The guy is injury free (so far), getting in a solid pre season and hopefully we will all be talking about his football instead of these non-event media beat ups.

Isn’t it a bit curious that Matera’s name was not mentioned once in the media hysteria around this ‘incident’?

I agree that Harley needs to pull his head in and pay back the faith (and the serious $$$) that Freo have given him, but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have been the only AFL player letting his hair down in public over the break. I would even bet that there were far drunker people at OBH at the time he was evicted.

The guy has a target on his back when it comes to the media in Perth. To insinuate that Matera should be smarter than to go out to a pub with Harley or face sanction is perplexing to me. Why wasn’t Matera dragged through the media for his part in the incident? Oh yeah, that’s right because it wasn’t a noteworthy incident bar the fact one H. Bennell was in the group.

I honestly can’t believe this is still getting talked about. The guy is injury free (so far), getting in a solid pre season and hopefully we will all be talking about his football instead of these non-event media beat ups.
Matera also is a WC legend name and naming him would of somehow reflected on the club :rolleyes:

Wtf! Is anyone else concerned that Harley was with Brandon at the OBH and got out of control?

What is Brandon doing getting on the booze with Harley after all that’s happened to Harley in his history ? How is it ok to say it was made into something bigger than it was? Told to leave a pub? Wtf ? how drunk or aggressive do you need to be ? Punter hero starter it , sure.... but Harley after the multiple drinking incidents shouldn’t have been there having plenty and Brandon should have let him get to that point. Thats what mates do , look out for each other. I call bullsh!t ...

All you “ he’s a young bloke, happens to us all” supporters, I’m happy to respect your view. My opinion, stop treating him like a 18 yo. Brandon has gotta step up too. $300k+ a year, if I’m his boss I’m saying don’t go out to pubs, one more F*ck up you’re gone. Go to Brandon’s house have 17 beers instead, don’t drink in public, f*ck it ain’t that hard.

It really doesn't take much to be kicked out of a pub, particularly if you're part of a large loud group.

It really doesn't take much to be kicked out of a pub, particularly if you're part of a large loud group.

Maybe. I know if it was getting out of hand with my mates and my $300k career was on the line AND I had a history, I would have left earlier.

Harley should have left well before the group was kicked out.

Was it ever suggested Harley himself was 'out of control'? (I've no idea since I paid this 'scandal' the scant attention it deserved).

Or was he just part of a group that was asked to leave as a group?

It’s fact, Brandon said he was there with Harley. Team mate and best mate I believe they were together. Group was asked to leave.

Not alarmist at all.

I'm talking about the part about Harley being out of control.

The group was asked to leave as a group. We don't know who was being the loud one or what they were doing, etc, etc.

I'm talking about the part about Harley being out of control.

The group was asked to leave as a group. We don't know who was being the loud one or what they were doing, etc, etc.

I was under the impression some of the OBH locals were trying to get under Harley’s skin, and Harley’s mates were standing up for him... disturbance voices and name callin ensued and then easiest option is for Harley and his mates to leave.

It probably was very minor. But IMHO he shouldn’t be putting himself into these positions. The 40 other blokes on the list manage to keep a low profile. HB has form and should know better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 40 other blokes on the list manage to keep a low profile.

We've probably just seen an example of how much easier it is for them. I mean, Matera was there with Harley and no one had any idea until he outed himself in an interview.

Meanwhile Harley's name gets splashed all over the news for something that doesn't seem newsworthy at all, but that nevertheless is now stored in everyone's memory bank as 'yet another incident'.

We've probably just seen an example of how much easier it is for them. I mean, Matera was there with Harley and no one had any idea until he outed himself in an interview.

Meanwhile Harley's name gets splashed all over the news for something that doesn't seem newsworthy at all, but that nevertheless is now stored in everyone's memory bank as 'yet another incident'.
Exactly.

Bennell is being treated unfairly by the media and he should be allowed to go out and have a nice time without being dragged through the mud for a nothing incident.

All it will take is for him to have a fairly successful season in terms of playing games in the purple and it will stop.

The media love a success story almost as much as a failure story.

Exactly.

Bennell is being treated unfairly by the media and he should be allowed to go out and have a nice time without being dragged through the mud for a nothing incident.

All it will take is for him to have a fairly successful season in terms of playing games in the purple and it will stop.

The media love a success story almost as much as a failure story.
Sorry your last sentence should read, The media love a Egirls success story almost as much as a dockers failure story.

Having dealt with the security guards at that particular establishment (and others), I am not concerned. They are amongst the least perceptive and trustworthy profession in the world and their judgment is appalling. They make great witnesses in court because they are very quick to anger and incredibly judgmental.

I LOVE that Matera has just completely proven the point that things only get reported on when its Harley who is involved, literally because he was at OBH with him and we only found out due to him saying it in an interview.

There is no "Well Harley's incident could be worse than so and so's and thats why it was reported" argument that can be used as Matera was actually with Harley.

completely proves the point that Bennell has a target on his back and we shouldn't just write him off because the media got a sniff of some incredibly minor incident.

Sorry your last sentence should read, The media love a Egirls success story almost as much as a dockers failure story.

I didn't want to mention them to be honest. I'm kinda sick of hearing about them....all day....everyday...... at work...on the radio.....on the TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back