News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell.

I swear, if Nobusuke Kishi wore a purple jumper people would still jump in to defend his behaviour.
So with no evidence that Harley has done anything wrong you want to sink the boot in, because, because what exactly? There is such thing as natural justice in the real world. Harley was out with a group of people who got thrown out of a bar (reportedly). Talk about making a big deal over nothing.

Oh look, here comes all the defensive support, fml, who drinks like a fish on rehab, guy is loving the free hand outs
Thought he has basically been in full training this preseason. God forbid he celebrate NYE. After this week, it’s about 8 months (9 hopefully) of hard work before their next decent break. A little bit of insta-stalking will reveal that many of our 2019 hopefuls don’t mind a frothier or two (or other). Let’s delist them all (jokes).

Harley will attract extra attention wherever he goes, but it’s not a crime to get drunk. Seems like a typical media beat up. Any opportunity to drag Freo through the mud. Pretty sure that Flyin Ryan bloke from down the road is more trouble than Harley, but he’s a premiership hero so it’s ok.

But seriously, how does something like this even make the news? Hundreds of people would get asked to leave pubs and clubs each week. Why would the news even bother reporting it. They barely mentioned a drunken car crash incident - thought that might be more news worthy - LOLZ

It's not this one minor incident. It is the repeated alcohol related incidents by a player who has played 2 games for the club in 3 years.

How is it that the other 39 players on the list don't have this many issues?

The guy is a waste of talent, it's unfortunate but he just doesn't appear committed to the behavioural side of the AFL environment.

He shouldn’t even be at pubs I can’t believe people still championing his cause surely it would show commitment to club and the supporters just to have a spell from the going out full stop.
If he doesn’t want to do it that’s cool
Just don’t take the list spot and cap space
Pretty sure he is just a football player. Not some kind of Monk

He keeps dragging our club/brand into the gutter.

Whether right or wrong, the media will highlight every single slip up he has. We know that, the club knows that and I’m sure even Harley is not dumb enough not to realise it. He simply has to act and behave based on that. As others have said, if he’s not willing to, or can’t control himself, he’s going to be pushing s**t up hill and it’ll always fall back onto the FFC brand, so the club needs to act and should’ve well before now imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was new years eve...

From the age. I am not sure about you but even when I was in my 20s, I would have a quiet night before NYE.

It looks like Harley Bennell celebrated the festive season a little too hard, with the Fremantle midfielder asked to leave a Cottesloe pub on Sunday night for being too drunk.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/drunk-harley-bennell-asked-to-leave-hotel-20190101-p50p54.html

I know it is nothing, but as said before these shenanigans are not uncommon for him.

I'm not excusing Harley's behaviour but has anything he has ever done really been that serious? It just seems the media follow him around like a pack of wolves looking for any opportunity to add to his long list of (minor) indiscretions and trying to use the cumulation of negative stories to try and paint his character as him being the worst of the worst type of human being. Is the sum of it all really that bad though when compared to far more serious isolated incidents by a number of high profile footballers where it was mostly just swept under the rug? Are we all naive enough to think that other players (or any males in that age demographic) just immediately learn from their once off mistake? Are they all scrutinised as much as Harley has been? Is it just that the media knows the arrogant and ignorant supporters of other clubs (mainly one) love nothing more than reading why their club may be better than another? Or is it just an attempt to feel better about themselves by showing that all clubs can have as bad culture as West Coast in the 90s?

I just don't get how some can be wanting blood for someone over indulging of drugs and alcohol a few times yet we happily ignore when others get behind the wheel of a car (a deadly weapon) whilst intoxicated and put not only their own but everyone around them lives at risk. Or those that have physically abused their partners. Or those that have engaged in alleged non-consensual sexual relations. No doubt Harley's actions have been immature and disrespectful at times but they are chalk and cheese compared to these other types of serious incidents that can or did severely impact other people (not just themselves).

Several members of another football club in Perth have been involved in far more serious incidents than being asked to leave a premises in the past few weeks but it hasn't even made the papers. Is the public really that gullible to think that Harley is the only AFL player going out and over indulging or worse? I wish he didn't put him in a situation to be scrutinised but I think getting outraged about it is just playing into the hands of the media that loves to light fires and see them combust.

I wonder what the general sentiment would be if he kicks a total of 10 goals in the first 5 or 6 games he plays?
Yep. Watch the media love flow through if he plays a single good game early in the season. “Freo’s persistence pays off”. “Harley repays Ross’ faith”. And whatever other load of carnage they wanna write. But just like the haters, they’ll sit there silently, secretly waiting for him to slip up before showing their true colours again.

If he does something worthy of being delisted, I’ld be the first to back the decision. But boy oh boy, how good would it be to get him up and running - people forget how good he is and it’s unknown if he’ll ever get back to that level. But you gotta back him in. Just pray he shows up for training on Monday morning without a hangover :cool:

Undisciplined no doubt - the club will deal with that. However, were charges laid, were police called? No, he did a stupid thing (for which hopefully he gets a "serve" from the club), but to his credit he didn't cause any problems when asked to leave.

The guy has an alcohol problem, he is meant to be rehabbing, he’s been kicked off planes, out of clubs numerous times, acting strange wasted at wafl matches, this is not normal behaviour

Its unfortunate that the just plain nasty or shits with an axe to grind have a phone in their pocket with access to immediate mass coverage. There is no privacy anymore, the world is a cesspool of wannabe scandal rag reporters.
WA media give them an outlet though, balanced reporting in this state? Propaganda machine, won't change here until we
win a cup.
All they care about is being associated with winning, and not graciously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back